Rule to avoid unbalanced trades and resulting resentment - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rule to avoid unbalanced trades and resulting resentment

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rule to avoid unbalanced trades and resulting resentment

Postby mlsalin » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:55 am

It happens every year. Teams out of running trade stars for keepers. Nothing wrong with that, but we have a handful of pairs (teams that usually trade with each other based on friendships or blood ties) that seem to make lopsided trades without shopping around.

We've tried early trading deadlines for picks from the first 3 rounds. We've tried a rule that no more than 1 "early rounder" can go from 1 team to another over a whole season. Despite those attempts, it's probably worse than ever. And not to be melodramatic, but it's tearing the league apart.

There was a proposal (which was defeated) at the draft this year that all trades would have to be posted for 24 hours before going into effect, and that teams could back out if they felt they got a better offer.

Does anyone have experience and/or an opinion on such a rule? Any other rules out there to help with this situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Michael S.
mlsalin
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

What I'm doing next year.....

Postby ntremain23 » Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:39 am

What i'm doing next year is this....I'm taking complete control over everyones team.So in order for a team to add/drop players they simply post it on the message board,who they want to drop/add.Then I simply go into their team and do it for them.Therefore I know what's going on in the league and every team.It also keeps me more into the league because I have to constantly complete the transactions.For trades the teams will write to the other team on the message board and if the other team writes back accepting the trade,then I complete it.Therefore if I feel the trade is not fair then I can veto it,or if it's borderline then I can post a message finding what everyone else thinks about the trade.I feel this is a great idea and might help you out a little.Arlo?Do you think this is a good idea for my league next year?
N Tremain
ntremain23

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:17 am

That's a tough situation all right. In the end, it can probably only be solved if all owners step back and take a look at the best interests of the league as a whole rather than their own teams.

If this sort of trading is threatening to destroy your league, you might have to ban the trading of draft picks entirely. Teams would still be able to trade vets for prospects, but there would be less room for abuse. That should probably be only a last resort measure, however.

The best way to solve this might be for those teams that feel they're getting left out of such trades to talk more with the teams that are making these deals. It's possible, after all, that these trades aren't the result of favoritism, but that the people involved merely spend more time talking. Having previously received fair deals might also be a factor. If I'm looking to make a trade, I'll probably also start by knocking on those doors where I've been treated fairly in the past. If the teams that object to these trades spend some time on the phones (or email, or whatever) and offer solid deals, the problem might go away by itself.

The rules you've tried so far actually look pretty good to me. I don't really like the idea of posting a trade and letting other teams make higher offers - if you've spent a week working on a deal, you'll probably feel pretty upset if you're outbid - but putting constraints such as an early deadline on draft picks or a limit on high picks that can be dealt sounds like a good foundation.

Another thing to try, if this issue can't be resolved through good will alone, would be to assign each team one other team that they may not trade with, period. If favoritism truly is involved, then simply take away that possibility; if teams A and B are brothers, for instance, decide that they may not trade with each other any longer in the interest of the league, at least until it's been shown that other trade avenues are being used equally. An even number of teams would help here, of course, so that every team would have just one other team they may not deal with. This isn't a wonderful solution, of course, but if the other measures you've tried have failed, you may have to try this.

What are the specifics of your league? Do players have salaries? And do teams have the right to protest or veto trades?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mm92280 » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:19 am

some people can get resentful of the person running the league, or just plain don't trust them. I heard of a case in a CNNSI basketball league this year, where it was the playoff round (in fantasy games, not NBA), and the guy who organized the league locked his opponent out of the site for the entire week so he couldnt even change his lineup !! ROFL, some people will go to crazy lengths to win. Anyways, the idea of limiting high round draft picks seems ok, I guess you could make a way for the league to veto that rule under certain situations, like if a player is really underperforming (like Kevin Brown, Brett Boone, etc).
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dannahann » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:41 am

First off, sorry your league has that problem. I agree with Arlo that some of it may just be attributed to owners "knocking" on the friendly door or the door of an owner who has shown they LIKE TO deal. Also, if this is a long standing league, owners who fleeced someone (even years ago) might still be shunned.

Although I've never seen this kind of "RULE" implemented, something along these lines, might help in your league:

NO TRADES WITH THE TEAM YOU LAST DEALT WITH

2 OF YOUR LAST 3(or 4?? or more?) TRADES CAN'T BE WITH THE SAME OWNER (be conservative if your league is small)

YOU COULD ALSO ADD THINGS LIKE 3 OF YOUR LAST 7 etc... to the above

Be careful though, stipulations like this would "force" teams to knock on other doors to deal but some might be resentful and your league might blow up in your face. If you propose these (or any other) "solutions", be sure to stress that the motivation is the best interest of the league for everyone.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby nkeitt » Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:08 am

I think dannahann's point about being careful of rules that might create further resentment is a good one. I am still pretty new to fantasy baseball, but I have been working with people and conflict resolution for a long time!

One of the factors involved in solving this problem is that every owner in your league has to be able to see that it is a problem. Otherwise, any kind of rule that you establish will cause a polarization between "have's" and "have not's". I would suggest contacting the owners individually to get their perspective on this issue, and wait to make changes until you have some kind of consensus that the new rules will make the league better.
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Thanks for your replies

Postby mlsalin » Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:58 am

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Our NL only league does a straight draft rounds 1-33. You can keep a player in the same round the following year. For a third and final year, it's the round you picked him minus 2. Teams can keep 5 players year to year.

A real-life example that happened since the posting. 1st place team trades Spivey (round 26) for Wood (not retainable), MikeWilliams (6)and Barrett (14).

- Michael
Michael S.
mlsalin
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Baseball Leftovers