COMBINED---Prior's scoring change - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

COMBINED---Prior's scoring change

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:09 am

flekk17 wrote:Who was the official scorer? Does he work for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel?

I sent an email to this guy expressing my displeasure -- he covers the game for the newspaper -- hopefully he can forward it to the "culprit"

mailto:dolson@journalsentinel.com

Cubs pitcher Mark Prior owned a 3.00 ERA following his June 6 start against the Brewers, but official scorer Wayne Franke changed that stat on Wednesday. Franke ruled that shortstop Craig Counsell's sacrifice bunt was a single, thus changing four unearned runs into four earned runs. "You can't do anything about it because it's not up to us," Prior told the Associated Press. "The intent was a sacrifice and that's what it was, but it doesn't matter." Prior's ERA now stands at 4.00.

Wayne Franke was the guy who changed it. I say we find his house and egg it, whose with me? ;-D

Anyways it sucked, but I'm over it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PBRmeASAP » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:50 am

Holy crap are you guys babies. :~(

I saw the play and it would have taken an awesome defensive play to get Counsel. Hence the hit. Harris made a great play on the ball but his throw sailed. Most 3B's wouldn't have even had a chance at Counsel.

Now I do know that Ned Yost (Brewer's Manager) made an appeal to the scorer after the game to review the play. This is not uncommon on close plays, and sometimes they are overturned.

I watch a lot of Brewer baseball and I will tell you that the Brewers scorer does a pretty good job overall. Compared to some other official scorers in the league, who are hometown all the way, the Brewers guy does a nice job being objective.

Face it, you guys are all just pissed because the call hurt your team. You could care less if the right call was made. In the end, Prior deserved all those earned runs, he just didn't have it.
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Armed and Hammered » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:42 pm

PBRmeASAP wrote:Holy crap are you guys babies. :~(

I saw the play and it would have taken an awesome defensive play to get Counsel. Hence the hit. Harris made a great play on the ball but his throw sailed. Most 3B's wouldn't have even had a chance at Counsel.

Thank you. The first guy out of all these posts to actually play it out. Answers all my questions. Thanks.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers