COMBINED---Prior's scoring change - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

COMBINED---Prior's scoring change

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:00 pm

oh well, I had a pretty good night otherwise
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:22 pm

Who saw it? Which was the right call? Anyone know?

i thought it was an error, but i dont think they should change something like that after the game. Someone else mentioned that if they do that they should look at all the umpires calls and see if they were right. Would have loved that 4 ip 0 er 8 ks. :-t
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:27 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
Who saw it? Which was the right call? Anyone know?

i thought it was an error, but i dont think they should change something like that after the game. Someone else mentioned that if they do that they should look at all the umpires calls and see if they were right. Would have loved that 4 ip 0 er 8 ks. :-t

hometown cookin' -- batter gets a hit. I bet someone on the brewers talked to the scorer.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:43 pm

I stuck it in the other Prior thread (not wearing my Prior jersey during the game but did have my cursèd Cubs hat on...) but I was watching the game and he DESERVED to get 3 ER and one R from the baserunner who reached what was clearly an error. Prior was being too cute w/ the inside pitches to force the Brewers to hit in front of the runner at second AND was throwing non-breaking breaking balls.

One other funny detail was that when Grieve hit the double, Steve Stone was going on and on 'you should walk him and pitch to Ginter, he was 0 for 3 yesterday'....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:55 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I think that it would be better if they didn't announce these numbers DURING the game. I just about fell off of my couch when they said 'Prior only got one earned run there...' around the time they took him out. Obviously, that would 'devalue' stat-tracker type of things but, if they are at all on the fence, they should just wait until they are sure.

Huh? They see the replay god knows how many times during the game. They should be able to make the call right then. I want to know what changed after the game for him to take away the error. Seems like a completely bogus call to me.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby flekk17 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:11 pm

Came back at to the computer at 5AM today after watching Sportscenter and listening to Linda Cohn. Thinking to myself, "Did they change it back?"

"ALL run were unearned," she blathered... ESPN even had it wrong on the ticker.....
flekk17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:14 pm

I traded him and Nathan for Santana, D.Lee, and Marcus Giles.

I've already heckled the guy who got Prior form me. So far, Santana doesn't even seem like a worse option, and it appears Lee and Giles were freebies ;-D

Sucks for Prior owners though.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby flekk17 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:29 pm

Who was the official scorer? Does he work for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel?

I sent an email to this guy expressing my displeasure -- he covers the game for the newspaper -- hopefully he can forward it to the "culprit"

mailto:dolson@journalsentinel.com
flekk17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:32 pm

Really, I think that they should have given him 3 ER for the ones he gave up and not counted the baserunner who got on on the E. That is what I saw so I'm not sure where they get off giving Counsell the hit either. The whole thing is pretty darn shady and does kind of make me wonder how often this stuff goes on in games I don't have the opportunity to see!!

I'd always thought that a runner who got on on an E was not an earned run. I was not at all aware of the bit about going 'well, if he got out, then the next guy wouldn't have hit so his run should not have been earned either. Nor the next two guys'. That does not seem logical or in any way based on the rules. I don't think that it's fair to Prior to let him off w/o some of those runs. He gave up the runs and should get tagged. He should NOT have gotten that Error run though.

hybrid wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I think that it would be better if they didn't announce these numbers DURING the game. I just about fell off of my couch when they said 'Prior only got one earned run there...' around the time they took him out. Obviously, that would 'devalue' stat-tracker type of things but, if they are at all on the fence, they should just wait until they are sure.

Huh? They see the replay god knows how many times during the game. They should be able to make the call right then. I want to know what changed after the game for him to take away the error. Seems like a completely bogus call to me.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby matmat » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:40 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
I'd always thought that a runner who got on on an E was not an earned run.

he isn't. but counsell didn't get on on an error. he reached base on a single and the runner from third scored on the throwing error. Had there not been an error the runner would have scored anyway because of the hits that came after counsell. This is why all the runs are earned, because they would have scored anyway had the error not occured.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers