How is Giambi an All-Star starter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How is Giambi an All-Star starter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:06 pm

eftda wrote:All-Star = over rated.

Um ok... by your logic Bonds= All-Star= overrated ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:06 pm

This topic has been brought up time and time again. Search for old threads to see my comments.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:08 pm

R-man wrote:So if I follow the logic... Giambi and Jetter got selected because they play for the Yankees and because the Yankees have tons of fans who voted for them. And these fans don't know or respect baseball enough to know that the All-Star game is for players who have performed above and beyond not just for players on their favorite team. So because of these type of selfish fans a player going to the All Star game doesn't mean what it did 25 years ago. Kinda sad really.

There should be some kind of baseline like you can't be on the All-Star team if you are hitting less than .280 or something.

wasn't there some ballot stuffing going on in Cincinnatti a few years back? big red machine days?

anyway... the AS game is a reward for the fans, not the players.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:22 pm

eftda wrote:TED LILLY is an All-Star,

errr... yeah
any other deserving Blue Jays?

i think the rule requiring each franchise to have at least one representative is stupid.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:23 pm

eftda wrote:
matmat wrote:
R-man wrote:So if I follow the logic... Giambi and Jetter got selected because they play for the Yankees and because the Yankees have tons of fans who voted for them. And these fans don't know or respect baseball enough to know that the All-Star game is for players who have performed above and beyond not just for players on their favorite team. So because of these type of selfish fans a player going to the All Star game doesn't mean what it did 25 years ago. Kinda sad really.

There should be some kind of baseline like you can't be on the All-Star team if you are hitting less than .280 or something.

wasn't there some ballot stuffing going on in Cincinnatti a few years back? big red machine days?

anyway... the AS game is a reward for the fans, not the players.

I agree 100% (and Matmat is right, there was ballot stuffing). All-Star game is where the fans see the favorite players, not the best players.

I agree with matmat and eftda. The game is for the fans.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby R-man » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:01 pm

Of course the All-Star game is for the fans. My point is that just because the Yankees have more fans does that mean we always have to watch their big contract players every All-Star game even they aren't playing well. Why don't we just call it the Yankee All-Star Game or the All-Big Contracts game.
Very Blue...
R-man
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:03 pm

R-man wrote:Of course the All-Star game is for the fans. My point is that just because the Yankees have more fans does that mean we always have to watch their big contract players every All-Star game even they aren't playing well. Why don't we just call it the Yankee All-Star Game or the All-Big Contracts game.

Nomar, Renteria, Sosa and Ichiro also made the team. Are you going to tell me they deserve it? Are you going to tell me New York voted for those guys? Especially NOMAR? It's not just New York. You can blame other franchises too. :-t
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:09 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
R-man wrote:Of course the All-Star game is for the fans. My point is that just because the Yankees have more fans does that mean we always have to watch their big contract players every All-Star game even they aren't playing well. Why don't we just call it the Yankee All-Star Game or the All-Big Contracts game.

Nomar, Renteria, Sosa and Ichiro also made the team. Are you going to tell me they deserve it? Are you going to tell me New York voted for those guys? Especially NOMAR? It's not just New York. You can blame other franchises too. :-t

Last I checked, Nomar didn't make the team ;-) But he did get a lot of votes.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers