The value of Chipper Jones? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The value of Chipper Jones?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The value of Chipper Jones?

Postby Rookies » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:02 pm

The owner in my league is looking to deal him but his average is brutal and he's got hammy problems. I could probably get him for someone like Dye, but is going to hit this badly or be hurt all year?
Don't try to strike everyone out. Strikeouts are boring besides that they're fascist. Throw some ground balls it's more democratic. - Crash Davis
Rookies
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:03 pm

Dye for Jones?? Jump on it!
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Bwannna » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:18 pm

slomo007 wrote:Dye for Jones?? Jump on it!

I agree.

I traded for Chipper about a month ago, when he was in REALLY slumping... traded Beltre and Chacon for Chipper and Mussina. It was an extreme sell high, buy low move on my part, where I just had to grit my teeth and hit the accept button. I had Chavez at 3rd so Beltre was expendable (Marte broke Chavez' hand the next day).

But, I don't regret it. Chipper will come around, and I'm hoping Mussina will shake his funk. Chacon has since been dropped.

And, I just noticed what Fanball had to say:

Fanball wrote:Buy Low
3B Chipper Jones, Braves: Chipper's fantasy value has never been lower. The perennial .300/30/100 fantasy force has been one of the biggest busts of the year, in part because of a right hamstring injury that has bothered him all season and necessitated his move from the outfield back to third base. His average has not been over .250 since May 15 and is currently treading water just over .200. His OPS is about 200 points below his career mark. Fantasy owners would love to dump him, but he's too good of a player to simply release so they would love nothing better than for someone to offer them something…anything for Jones. "Morgan Ensberg and a warm beer?" Done! If you can acquire Chipper at his blowout clearance price then why not? The hamstring injury remains a concern, but also serves to lower his price even more. Jones has always been a second half hitter anyways, typically hitting about 40 points higher after the break. And if the hammy lingers all year and he doesn't hit like the real Chipper Jones in the second half...so what? It's not like you will have spent a lot to get him. This is what "buying low" is all about.
Bwannna
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rookies » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:39 pm

Thanks for the Fanball info. I went ahead and offered Dye so now I just have to wait and see if he accepts.
Don't try to strike everyone out. Strikeouts are boring besides that they're fascist. Throw some ground balls it's more democratic. - Crash Davis
Rookies
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bwannna » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:40 pm

cool

...another bonus, he qualifies at 3B as well as OF now.
Bwannna
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:40 pm

kinda ironic that such a consistant guy is one of the "lowest" of the buy lows out there. gotta give prods to the sore hammy... wait for Brian Giles bro to come back.. Chipper's value will go ;-D. Furcal also looks fine now...
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:49 pm

I agree when everyone in that lineup is healthy he should produce like usual. It's not the ATL offense of last year, but it's not as bad as it's been so far. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Fantstud » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:39 pm

Traded Chipper 2 weeks ago for G Anderson

I quess I got a steal with Anderson
Fantstud
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor