[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 562: include(./includes/trivia_unanswer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 562: include() [function.include]: Failed opening './includes/trivia_unanswer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php')
name us and our accomplishment (answered) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Trivia Time Trial

name us and our accomplishment (answered)

Moderator: Baseball Trivia Mods

name us and our accomplishment (answered)

Postby ukrneal » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:48 am

The four of us have something in common. We are actually not the only ones to accomplish this feat in basball history, but there is something unique in the way we accomplished it, for which we clearly stand out. We were all considered top players of our teams (the years we did this) and sometimes the league. In fact, three of us led the league (AL or NL) in HR and two of us led the league in RBI.

1 of us has 4 World Series Rings. Another of us has 2. Two of us have never been on the winning team of a World Series. Each of us was a team member with at least one of the other four. Our accomplishment is a fairly modern accomplishment. In fact, before 1970, only four other players even did what we did (without the unique aspect). Finally, we each played a minimum of 14 years in the Majors.

Name the four players and their accomplishment (unique aspect must be included for recognition of correct answer).
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:01 am

I got a real good start on this, no answer yet, but was wondering if I could narrow the search a bit by asking if it was a single-season accomplishment or a career accomplishment. Unless you feel that is giving away too much too soon.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:06 am

Single season. That is, the event is a season long event and not stats you gather over a career. Since I was pretty nebulous in my question, I included the length of the careers to help eliminate those who didn't play long.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:01 am

I can't narrow this down far enough to get a good guess on this.

Any Hints Available??

Maybe say if any of these 4 players are still active, or if any of these players are in the Hall of Fame.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Additional Info

Postby ukrneal » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:54 am

Three of the four of us no longer play, though we all played in the '90s. The feat we did occurred in pairs, though we each acheived the feat individually. And though we did it in pairs, we did not all four do it in the same year.

And by the way, fantasy players loved us in the years we did this thing.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby paulman8 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:36 pm

can you tell us if they accomplished the feat in the 90's? I know they played then, but is that the period during which the feat was accomplished?
Seeing as the Braves have won 12 division titles in a row, does that mean that soon they are going to have to start making columns as well???

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74587
paulman8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Andy1234 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:53 pm

I made a few assumptions and I wanted to know if I was right in thinking these.

1.) All 4 of these players were Hitters. (I mean Primarily Hitters, a 1 inning Relief App does not make a pitcher, like Mark Grace among others)

2.) You said that 1 player won 4 WS and another 2. All of these rings were won as players. You didn't take into account any rings won as a Manager or a Coach.

Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Andy1234 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:52 pm

I am almost postive I have the 4 players and the accomplishment but can't find the Uniqueness. Any hints on the uniqueness? It will probably come to me soon enough if you don't give a hint, just might speed it up a bit.

Does it have anything to do with being teammates?

Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby ukrneal » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:55 am

1) Yes
2) yes
3) yes (the next email)
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:05 am

Andy1234 wrote:Does it have anything to do with being teammates?

ukrneal wrote:3) yes (the next email)

So here it is:

1.) Howard Johnson
2.) Darryl Strawberry
3.) Larry walker
4.) Dante Bichette

Feat: 30/30 club

Unique: Each had a Teammate who also Accomplished Feat (while both played together: eliminating ARod/Soriano)

Walker/Bichette played together in Colorado (93-99), with Walker Getting it in 1997 and Bichette in 1996

Johnson/Strawberry played together in NYM (85-90), both were 30/30 in 1987. Howard also got it in 1989 and 1991.<br><br><span class=gensmall>Accepted as answer by ukrneal on Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:59 am EST.</span>

Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Return to Trivia Time Trial