Zito... I bought low. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zito... I bought low.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:53 pm

I was at the game, just got home and i'll tell ya something, he just plain got hit! His stuff was good his curveball was fooling a lot of batters but he just plain old left a few over the plate and the sox took advantage. no complaining here, but he has what it takes to turn it around and judging from the past, he will as he is one of the biggest second half pitchers there is.
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davus » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:59 pm

kaz wrote:You don't win the Cy Young then fall apart, you just don't

Yes you do. Sometimes you really do.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:10 am

Okay, Zito is now the picture in my avatar. I need all the superstitution available to keep starting him.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davus » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:18 am

With Zito, you can't buy low enough. He never had all that much to begin with...for some reason or another, he just had his mojo goin for that Cy run.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:29 am

RWLongy4 wrote:Well Steve Finley was just dropped and I grabbed him immediately... Then traded him for zito straight up. ;-D So I really lost nothing... I'm not at all a fan of Finley and my OF is already Vlad, Crawford, Anderson

Good move picking up Finley...who despite the fact you're not a fan of his is a rock solid fantasy performer year after year after year. Why anyone would drop him is beyond me, but I'll assume it's a really shallow league.

Bad move trading Finley for Zito. Once more...you don't want to rely on pitchers who throw back to back 200 plus IP at 25 y/o or less. In Zito's case, three straight seasons. The slide began last year and has picked up steam this year. Maybe he turns it around, but the historical data on pitchers who get overused too early in their career is simply undeniable.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Strasil42 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:42 am

Remember Santana earlier on? Look at him now people.

santana had offseason surgery which was why it took him awile to get in a grove. Now hes a bonafide ace. =)
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bukoski77 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:39 am

Zito as has already been mentioned is a victim of overuse. Unless he hits the DL, It wont hold him back too bad though. Top 15 SP 2nd half numbers is unlikey, but he should be able to put together above average top 30 SP numbers from here on out.

Dont forget how the A's entire teams seems to somehow come to life during the 2nd half the last several years. Its not as table top explainable as chemistry, its electricity, it just happens leaving everyone slightly confused as to how.

What is the worst that happens if you buy low on him now? You end up not paying very much for dissapointing expectations.

I dont know how Finley was dropped in any league after hitting over .333 in June. Finley is solid, but that is a great and classic sell high / buy low trade.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:12 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
Remember Santana earlier on? Look at him now people.

santana had offseason surgery which was why it took him awile to get in a grove. Now hes a bonafide ace. =)

Santana was still striking out a batter an inning during his rough spell, and also pitching several clean innings and then getting pounded in one bad one.
Zito, I'm not sure what to make of ... I've been tempted to try a buy low, but ???
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:34 pm

i think sometimes, this shows why "buy low, sell high" doesn' ALWAYS work. Sometimes "sell low, before lower" is a good idea. I would definitely trade zito -- he still has name recognition and there is still someone who would take a chance on him. He just doesn't seem to have it this year.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers