Bobby abreu - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bobby abreu

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:20 am

Because Larry Bowa is an idiot and likes to put guys who can't get on base like Jimmy Rollins and Marlon Byrd at the top of the order. I can't wait to that guy gets fired, and I am not even a Phillies fan.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:22 am

stumpak wrote:Because Larry Bowa is an idiot and likes to put guys who can't get on base like Jimmy Rollins and Marlon Byrd at the top of the order. I can't wait to that guy gets fired, and I am not even a Phillies fan.

Jimmy Rollins' OBP hitting 1st in the lineup this year is .379?!?! Is that not good enough for you, Moneyball?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Jamescloud16 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:43 pm

Abreu opposed it last year. I think it's a bit of an arrogance thing. They put him there for a couple of weeks and his numbers tanked. This year, he's in the perfect spot. He's getting on base when no one's on in front of him and he's driving in runs when they need him to.

The other thing is, since Rollins is having a nice year, there's really no other spot in the lineup that fits him better than leadoff. If Abreu leads off, you'd have Rollins or Polanco/Utley hitting 2nd, Thome or Burrell hitting 3rd. That's too many strikeouts in the 3 hole. Bobby is a much more patient hitter than those two.
Jamescloud16
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:36 pm

Although Abreu has the OBP to play lead-off and he has speed to boot, some of his talent would be wasted. He is perfect in the #3 hole.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers