Scott Rolen called the Best player in the game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Rolen called the Best player in the game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scott Rolen called the Best player in the game

Postby GSes » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:33 pm

On ESPN's Around the Horn they argued that Scott Rolen is the best player in the game RIGHT NOW. These guys do have a lot of knowledge and a lot more then some of the idiots that can be found elsewhere

Anyways it was just intresting and all but one of them bought Rolen as the best player in the game right now, and honestly as of right now he is the best player and the most valuable player in the game because lets face it

gold glove 3b defense
78 RBI
345 AVG
incredibly consistent

Obviously Rolen is a great player, and he is a superstar but he is not the best player in the game, the best players in the game are

Arod
Pujols
Bonds
Guerrero

From a non fantasy standpoint rolen is the best in the game right now b/c he is the mvp of the cards and they have the best record in the NL

Also something I found really funny, they were all talking about trading nomar for clement, etc. and then Woody Page came on and said what I keep saying. he laughed and said you guys sound like a bunch of FANTASY OWNERS when you say give me nomar, give ma arod, clement, etc.


Closing statement:
I still think Chavez is a better defensive player then Rolen, and he is much more exciting. Chavez is one of the most exciting players to watch in baseball
Last edited by GSes on Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2498
Joined: 9 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Shadows

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:38 pm

First of all the Cards don't have the best record in the bigs, the Yanks do. ;-D

I don't really know how to take this. Right now, this second, maybe Scott Rolen is playing the best in the Major Leagues. But is he the best player? No way. The best players are the ones you mentioned. My friend is a Ranger fan an insists that the Ranger infield is better than the Yankee infield just because Young and Texiera have better stats than Jeter and Giambi right NOW on July 5th. I think that's crap because in that case Carlos Guillen is the best SS in the Major Leagues. You have to take everything into account and therefore Rolen is a great player and probably the best 3B in the league (until A-Rod stays there for a while) but he's not the best player in the game just because he's the MVP of the Cards.

No surprise you like Chavez over Rolen, though. :-D
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby GSes » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:44 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:First of all the Cards don't have the best record in the bigs, the Yanks do. ;-D

I don't really know how to take this. Right now, this second, maybe Scott Rolen is playing the best in the Major Leagues. But is he the best player? No way. The best players are the ones you mentioned. My friend is a Ranger fan an insists that the Ranger infield is better than the Yankee infield just because Young and Texiera have better stats than Jeter and Giambi right NOW on July 5th. I think that's crap because in that case Carlos Guillen is the best SS in the Major Leagues. You have to take everything into account and therefore Rolen is a great player and probably the best 3B in the league (until A-Rod stays there for a while) but he's not the best player in the game just because he's the MVP of the Cards.

No surprise you like Chavez over Rolen, though. :-D



duh, I only made this post b/c it is intresting. Rolen is arguably the best right now, but he is not the best in the game. :-D
Image
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2498
Joined: 9 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Shadows

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:47 pm

Chavez has more "upside" than Rolen. THIS IS Rolen's career year. but Rolen's better than him defensively imo.

even right now i wont say that hes the best. Barry Bonds, roids or no roids, body armor or no body armor, is imo. if the Giants didnt have him this year, they'd easily have the worst record in the NL.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3622
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:47 pm

He is having a better year than A-Rod, right DK? :-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:50 pm

thetongueofire wrote:even right now i wont say that hes the best. Barry Bonds, roids or no roids, body armor or no body armor, is imo. if the Giants didnt have him this year, they'd easily have the worst record in the NL.


and that is why he wins the mvp year after year.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3622
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GSes » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:50 pm

thetongueofire wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:even right now i wont say that hes the best. Barry Bonds, roids or no roids, body armor or no body armor, is imo. if the Giants didnt have him this year, they'd easily have the worst record in the NL.


and that is why he wins the mvp year after year.


yup
Image
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2498
Joined: 9 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Shadows

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:51 pm

Rolen IS the best player in the game right now.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3092
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: crusing down the street in my six-fo'

Postby Tavish » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:52 pm

There isn't a wide gap between Rolen and Chavez in any department, but Rolen has the edge in all of them. Power and speed they are about equal, but Rolen is the better overall hitter in terms of average, obp, slg, and (consequently) ops. Rolen is arguably the best defensive 3B in the game while Chavez is in the top 5. Again there is not a big margin but Rolen is the better player. As far as upside the age difference isn't even all that great in Chavez's favor, he is only about 2 1/2 years younger.

Rolen isn't the best player in baseball right now, but he is the best 3B.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11070
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:27 pm

Tavish wrote:There isn't a wide gap between Rolen and Chavez in any department, but Rolen has the edge in all of them. Power and speed they are about equal, but Rolen is the better overall hitter in terms of average, obp, slg, and (consequently) ops. Rolen is arguably the best defensive 3B in the game while Chavez is in the top 5. Again there is not a big margin but Rolen is the better player. As far as upside the age difference isn't even all that great in Chavez's favor, he is only about 2 1/2 years younger.

Rolen isn't the best player in baseball right now, but he is the best 3B.


I'm probably going to get slapped into next week for this, but talking from a non-fantasy perspective (and probably not from a money perspective either) I still would rather have A-Rod.

Now if you're talking bang for your buck, Rolen is probably the man.
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1077
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact