New leadoff for Marlins? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New leadoff for Marlins?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kaz » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:15 am

If Texas came to their sense and made Young Soriano 1-2 that would be the best duo in the league. But for know Juan and Casitllo take it

But in 2 years - REYES AND KAZ!! :-D :-D :-D
"They invented the All-Star Game for Willie Mays." -Ted Williams
kaz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedro » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:18 am

What has Moneyball ever won?

What has Billy Beane ever won?
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:18 am

Amazinz wrote:I disagree that Moneyball principles are fundamentally flawed. I think what is flawed is the belief that these principles can be applied in a vacuum. I imagine that there are so many dynamics involved with fielding a quality MLB team that basing all of your decisions on statistical analysis is a bad strategy.

You said it better than I did. This is about what I wanted to say, and didn't express it particularly well.

I do, however, strongly disagree with Moneyball in drafting college position players over high schoolers. Can see it with pitchers, but give me the "tools" kids out of HS over the college guys anytime.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby perlick29 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:25 am

thehat wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I disagree that Moneyball principles are fundamentally flawed. I think what is flawed is the belief that these principles can be applied in a vacuum. I imagine that there are so many dynamics involved with fielding a quality MLB team that basing all of your decisions on statistical analysis is a bad strategy.

You said it better than I did. This is about what I wanted to say, and didn't express it particularly well.

I do, however, strongly disagree with Moneyball in drafting college position players over high schoolers. Can see it with pitchers, but give me the "tools" kids out of HS over the college guys anytime.

Why? Every now and again you strike gold but the flame out rate is much higher for high school hitters than proven college players. You can name examples of great high school hitters that make it, but they are accompanied by so many more that don't and then you have to wait longer to see if they pan out anyway. Tools are nice but they certainly don't tell the whole story.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:54 am

Pedro wrote:What has Moneyball ever won?

Ok, but its only been applied for what, 3 years? The 2001 or 02 draft I believe is when Beane started drafting that way (I just started reading Moneyball a day ago).
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pedro » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:21 am

blankman wrote:

Ok, but its only been applied for what, 3 years? The 2001 or 02 draft I believe is when Beane started drafting that way (I just started reading Moneyball a day ago).

Perhaps, but Sandy Alderson couldn't win with the basic ideas of sabermetrics, and neither has Billy Beane.

It is hard to argue with the results of the Moneyball strategies, but regardless it is yet to actually contribute to anything signifigant to warrant being considered successful.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby perlick29 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:28 am

Pedro wrote:
blankman wrote:

Perhaps, but Sandy Alderson couldn't win with the basic ideas of sabermetrics, and neither has Billy Beane.

It is hard to argue with the results of the Moneyball strategies, but regardless it is yet to actually contribute to anything signifigant to warrant being considered successful.

You read moneyball correct? If you did you know about the big time luck factor over a short series than over a 162 game year schedule. The luck factor gets erased over that extended period of time. It's been a lot of luck that Oakland hasn't won already.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:47 am

Well a system that doesn't give you a good shot to win in the playoffs isn't a very good system, now is it?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:32 am

LBJackal wrote:Well a system that doesn't give you a good shot to win in the playoffs isn't a very good system, now is it?

Who says it doesn't LB? How close have the A's really come a couple of times, if it hadn't been for some miraculous plays? (i.e Jeter)

The system works, but in a short series it really all boils down to luck.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers