Problem with Mariano Rivera - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Problem with Mariano Rivera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:22 pm

rich101682 wrote:The bottom line is that yes, Rivera is nasty nasty nasty. But you would be a fool to think that his track record doesn't intimidate people stepping in against him. That's how the man works: his stuff is nasty, and on top of that, just the thought of how nasty he is makes it that much harder to hit him.

I'd say that as good as his stuff is, his mental intimidation based on stuff and track record is just as important to his success.

And this is all from a die hard Sox fan.

Which doesn't really help your argument. ;-)
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rich101682 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:36 pm

Does this mean you disagree, or are you just doing your duty as a Yankees fan?
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:39 pm

Maybe I just misunderstood your argument. You're admitting Rivera is nasty but you are also agreeing with WhosBabeRuth in saying that his success is mental. I took it as you were disagreeing with the majority and agreeing that his success is mental which I my have misinterpreted.

That's why I said that being a Red Sox fan doesn't help your argument that Rivera's success is mental instead of plain nasty stuff. Sorry for any misunderstanding on your or my part. :-o
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:52 pm

I would absolutely say that part of Rivera;s success is mental. How do you think that teams feel in the playoffs knowing that if they are losing after 7 innings. the game is over?? That puts a lot of extra pressure on their offense and shortens the game considerably. I'm not saying that he doesn't have great stuff. He obviously does. I'm just saying that there is a big mental edge for him. That is unless Edgar or Palmeiro is in the box. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:54 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I would absolutely say that part of Rivera;s success is mental. How do you think that teams feel in the playoffs knowing that if they are losing after 7 innings. the game is over?? That puts a lot of extra pressure on their offense and shortens the game considerably. I'm not saying that he doesn't have great stuff. He obviously does. I'm just saying that there is a big mental edge for him. That is unless Edgar or Palmeiro is in the box. :-°

I definately agree it's part of his game. But what I take from WhosBaseRuth is that his stuff isn't good and his success is ALL mental, which isn't true.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:58 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I would absolutely say that part of Rivera;s success is mental. How do you think that teams feel in the playoffs knowing that if they are losing after 7 innings. the game is over?? That puts a lot of extra pressure on their offense and shortens the game considerably. I'm not saying that he doesn't have great stuff. He obviously does. I'm just saying that there is a big mental edge for him. That is unless Edgar or Palmeiro is in the box. :-°

I definately agree it's part of his game. But what I take from WhosBaseRuth is that his stuff isn't good and his success is ALL mental, which isn't true.

You might be right. Based on his original statement in this thread, it looks like he puts Rivera at 75% mental and 25% stuff, or close to it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:17 pm

I guess all along thats what i've been trying to say, that the fear of his history is a large part of success. But then, in order to get that kind of reputation you gotta have good stuff. I mean, yea he has some nice movement but A big part of the fear in knowing your chances of winning are slim against this guy, thats mental. Thats where the taking the first strike comes in which a lot of the time is a hittable fastball, which is where my arguement all started, why even take a fastball when thats the best pitch your going to see from the guy? It just doesnt make sense. I do appreciate you all contributing to this thread, I wasnt expecting such a good arguement. But in the end, theres really no "arguement". Hes nasty, he will contine to do nasty however he does it, and I cant fight that. However, he has blown a save this year so hes in conclussion from planet earth.
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers