Problem with Mariano Rivera - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Problem with Mariano Rivera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:03 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:I don't know how often you watch Rivera but rarely does he throw a fastball right down the middle. Rivera has some of the sickest stuff in the game, whether or not he gets inside the hitter's head. His stuff is awesome and people have tried and tried again to hit it. It doesn't work. Like blankman said, if you think he's much easier to hit than people make him out to be, then you step in and face him. I guarentee he'll make you look like a fool, as he does to PROFESSIONAL hitters.

Well I saw him in the red sox series as I said @ the beginning and each batter he faced the first pitch was a fastball right down the middle that ewach batter swung @ and missed.
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:07 pm

Well then your obviously wrong because if he always throws a fastball down the middle and it's as hittable as a double-A pitch, then hitters would've caught on by now. So just going by the info you provide, you are already proving yourself wrong.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:50 pm

There's a big difference in a straight Billy Koch fastball right down the middle and a Rivera fastball that starts over the edge and breaks toward the middle. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby blindswipe » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:27 pm

WhosBabeRuth wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:I don't know how often you watch Rivera but rarely does he throw a fastball right down the middle. Rivera has some of the sickest stuff in the game, whether or not he gets inside the hitter's head. His stuff is awesome and people have tried and tried again to hit it. It doesn't work. Like blankman said, if you think he's much easier to hit than people make him out to be, then you step in and face him. I guarentee he'll make you look like a fool, as he does to PROFESSIONAL hitters.

Well I saw him in the red sox series as I said @ the beginning and each batter he faced the first pitch was a fastball right down the middle that ewach batter swung @ and missed.

Out of all of the fans around the league, a Red Sox fan is the last type of fan that I would say had any level of objectivity when it comes to anything pertaining to the Yankees. There is just way too much baggage. To assert that Rivera throws nothing but fastballs right down the pipe clearly demonstrates a level of bias rivaled only by continued assertions of a Sadaam / bin Ladin link. You are seeing only what you want to see and that which bolsters whatever delusion you may have regarding your team vis a vis the Yankees.

Psychological or not, Rivera shuts ‘em down. The numbers support it in the regular season and especially in the post season. You have offered nothing substantial to counter his stats. He is one of the best ever. And yes, he’s better than your guy Foulke.
blindswipe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:33 pm

Lofunzo wrote:There's a big difference in a straight Billy Koch fastball right down the middle and a Rivera fastball that starts over the edge and breaks toward the middle. :-?

Exactly. It must be noted that a Rivera fastball IS NOT straight. It moves and that is the reason for its success.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:54 pm

WhosBabeRuth wrote:doesnt mean im not aloud to comment on a pitchers performance.

I'm not always one to talk, but its "allowed" in that usage.

I know what you are saying, it may look down the middle, but its not. If it ends up there, its because it moved from (in/out)side and fooled the hitter. If it heads for the middle, its going to end up on their hands or way outside. Thats why he's so effective.

Edit: the first part may not make sense, but thats because his post was deleted, I assume for profanity.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:02 am

Maybe you, blindswipe should read the whole post before you comment. I clearly said in my first post "I cant lie, Mariano is nasty......." AND "Once again, not taking anything away form Rivera, hes one of the best......." - This has aboslutly nothing to do with what your saying. This has nothing to do with how good or bad Rivera is, this has nothing to do with yankees red sox rivalry. This is some commenting on a pitchers psycological effect on a batter. I dont know how you people made this into me talking sack about rivera, the yankees or anythiong else off topic. Im simply stating that from what I have seen of him, recently and in the past how hitters dont catch onto this guy. So just stay out of it, i mean just because im a sox fan doesnt mean im not aloud to comment on a pitchers performance.
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:05 am

This thread is dangerously close to being deleted. Let's keep this on topic and not personal.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:06 am

Lofunzo wrote:This thread is dangerously close to being deleted. Let's keep this on topic and not personal.

The only reason Rivera is any good is that no one is clutch enough to hit him with the game on the line. Delete away. :-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:08 am

Tavish wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:This thread is dangerously close to being deleted. Let's keep this on topic and not personal.

The only reason Rivera is any good is that no one is clutch enough to hit him with the game on the line. Delete away. :-D

:-b
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers