Problem with Mariano Rivera - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Problem with Mariano Rivera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:29 pm

thehat wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Why even say no offense? You've riduculed him beyond belief and hes probably hanging from a garage rafter right now. If your going to insult someone like that, dont even bother with the no offense because you clearly are offending him :-b

I wrote "no offense" because that's exactly what I meant. I am not suggesting that the poster is dumb. I am saying that in this one instance he wrote something really dumb. I've done it mysef...and now you have as well.

:-b Wow. This is funny.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:15 pm

Ok theres your opinion. Im just saying when he throws a first pitch fastballdown the pipe, its not as unhittable as batters are making it. In fact, its as hittable as a Double A Pitcher that throws gas down the midle of the Plate. After that first pitch however, he seems to get into their head and thats what makes him do so good. Its not neccersarilly his pitches as I may have said, its more of the "he gets into a hitters head which is why hes tough to hit, not just because he may have god movement on his pitches"...............
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:29 pm

WhosBabeRuth wrote:Ok theres your opinion. Im just saying when he throws a first pitch fastballdown the pipe, its not as unhittable as batters are making it. In fact, its as hittable as a Double A Pitcher that throws gas down the midle of the Plate. After that first pitch however, he seems to get into their head and thats what makes him do so good. Its not neccersarilly his pitches as I may have said, its more of the "he gets into a hitters head which is why hes tough to hit, not just because he may have god movement on his pitches"...............

In case you haven't noticed, alot of pitchers throw fastballs for the first pitch. To say it's as hittable as a double A pitcher is idiotic. Comparing Mariano Rivera to a double A pitcher just proves your blinded because your a Sox fan. His cutter is arguabley the hardest pitch to HIT in baseball. He has some of the sickest stuff in the game. I don't know what you don't see in that.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:48 pm

I think the thing with Rivera is that you have to be on guard against his nastieness. It is difficult to know what is coming with him. Greg Maddux is/was another guy that appeared totally hittable....and he will be notching win 300 here pretty soon. To succed in MLB it requires more than a psych job IMO....
"Winning isn't everything....IT IS THE ONLY THING!"
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:05 pm

zeus wrote:disagree on the psych out. All sports require your head to be right. If someone has you thinking, then they got the advantage. I am not a baseball guy, but i played football in college and when a CB got into my head it took away from my concentration. Some might not want to admit it, but it is there at all levels.

I'll bet you TO doesn't get psyched out...
I'll bet you Jerry Rice doesn't get psyched out...

Professional athletes who are headcases don't last too long (see Beane, Billy).
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:10 pm

WhosBabeRuth wrote:Ok theres your opinion. Im just saying when he throws a first pitch fastballdown the pipe, its not as unhittable as batters are making it. In fact, its as hittable as a Double A Pitcher that throws gas down the midle of the Plate.

If its so easy to hit, you step in the box and show them how its done ;-) :-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:58 pm

I would assume that a lot of hitters would get used to it but they haven't. Part of it is his free-and-easy motion where it looks like the ball should come in around 70 MPH and then it really comes in at around 95. It also has to do with the fact that his pitches move a lot, especially late movement. Rarely does he throw it down the middle. Inside corner. Outside corner. Right at the knees. He has some of the best control that I have ever seen. IMHO, the only reason that his walks are up this year is because he has been playing with a new pitch. I would agree that he has gotten into people's minds, though. If I was a professional hitter, I would watch the approaches of Edgar (righty) and Palmeiro (lefty) to see how they do so well against him.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Re: Problem with Mariano Rivera

Postby KULCAT » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:01 pm

No offense, but this is quite possibly the most ridiculous post in Cafe history. I'd try and debate this with you, but what's you've written is utterly absurd. If you don't think Rivera's stuff is nasty, then you know zero about baseball. Sorry.
[/quote]

You know this is like the third time in the past week ive heard someone calling someone´s elses post the worst post ever, or the most idiotic, or the must absurd...
I mean have you guys taken in consideration the history of absurdity in the cafe!!! You people have no respect for the guys of old who really tried to be absurd but without the accolades of today
Stupidity means nothing to this new generation :,-(
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby beezer » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:22 pm

Cubsfan, I would hate to see how emotional you would get if someone REALLY offended YOU!! Thehat was simply saying that the post was ridiculous, which it was. Mariano's stuff is NASTY!! It's all about his movement and location. He breaks at least one bat every time he pitches!! That means guys are getting sawed off because of the pitch moving in on the hands that looked like it was coming down the middle! Nice job Kulcat!!
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:25 pm

Let's keep this on topic please.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers