Problem with Mariano Rivera - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Problem with Mariano Rivera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Problem with Mariano Rivera

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:21 pm

First off, lets take out the fact that im a red sox fan and get it straight I cant lie, Mariano is nasty. As someone watching the sox yanks series, I couldnt help but notice something about Rivera though. His pitching seems to be mostly Pshycological rather than actually nasty "stuff". You almost know that hes going to throw a 95 MPH fastball down the middle as the first pitch, why do guys just look at it? Knowing this guys reputation with how good hes been, why look at a perfect hittable pitch like that? I'll tell ya why, because hes pshycological. Somehow hes gotten into the heads of the batter and thats why he is so good. I can see from his pitches why a lefty has a hard time hitting him, but the way his pitches move(his cutter), rightys should be KILLING HIM! Its just amazing with all the scouting reports on him that hitters arent kiling him. Anyone else understand what im saying, agree or disagree? Once again, not taking anything away form Rivera, hes one of the best but it amazes me no hitters really catch on.
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:23 pm

Hitters have tried to catch on. Rivera developed a 2-Seam Fastball which is kinda like an anti-cutter. It breaks in on righties. So batters and back off the plate so they won't get jammed by the cutter and 2-seamer.....but then he'll just throw to the outside corners. His cutter is arguabley the most unhittable pitch in baseball for lefties, and the 2-seamer is now doing the same to righties.

His stuff is nasty.
Last edited by ajgnydc722 on Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:25 pm

Major league hitters don't get "psyched" out.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zeus » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:07 pm

disagree on the psych out. All sports require your head to be right. If someone has you thinking, then they got the advantage. I am not a baseball guy, but i played football in college and when a CB got into my head it took away from my concentration. Some might not want to admit it, but it is there at all levels.
zeus Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:09 pm

Rivera is a freak of nature. He doesn't have enough pitches to be this good and yet he is. He's just got the mojo. B-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Problem with Mariano Rivera

Postby thehat » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:08 pm

WhosBabeRuth wrote:First off, lets take out the fact that im a red sox fan and get it straight I cant lie, Mariano is nasty. As someone watching the sox yanks series, I couldnt help but notice something about Rivera though. His pitching seems to be mostly Pshycological rather than actually nasty "stuff". You almost know that hes going to throw a 95 MPH fastball down the middle as the first pitch, why do guys just look at it? Knowing this guys reputation with how good hes been, why look at a perfect hittable pitch like that? I'll tell ya why, because hes pshycological. Somehow hes gotten into the heads of the batter and thats why he is so good. I can see from his pitches why a lefty has a hard time hitting him, but the way his pitches move(his cutter), rightys should be KILLING HIM! Its just amazing with all the scouting reports on him that hitters arent kiling him. Anyone else understand what im saying, agree or disagree? Once again, not taking anything away form Rivera, hes one of the best but it amazes me no hitters really catch on.

No offense, but this is quite possibly the most ridiculous post in Cafe history. I'd try and debate this with you, but what's you've written is utterly absurd. If you don't think Rivera's stuff is nasty, then you know zero about baseball. Sorry.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:10 pm

Why even say no offense? You've riduculed him beyond belief and hes probably hanging from a garage rafter right now. If your going to insult someone like that, dont even bother with the no offense because you clearly are offending him :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby thehat » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:23 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Why even say no offense? You've riduculed him beyond belief and hes probably hanging from a garage rafter right now. If your going to insult someone like that, dont even bother with the no offense because you clearly are offending him :-b

I wrote "no offense" because that's exactly what I meant. I am not suggesting that the poster is dumb. I am saying that in this one instance he wrote something really dumb. I've done it mysef...and now you have as well.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:25 pm

How were you not calling him dumb? "Thats the most ridiculous post in cafe history! What you've written is utterly absurd" Im pretty sure when you say something like that you are insulting him, whether you intend to or not.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:27 pm

OK you two....back to the topic.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers