ESPN's Take on the Explosion of DL Injuries - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN's Take on the Explosion of DL Injuries

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN's Take on the Explosion of DL Injuries

Postby d18Mike » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:45 am

Great article if you haven't read it already ...

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/maga ... id=1826122
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukrneal » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:07 am

But distortions abound too. Don;t gt me wrong, I believe what they say, but they don't do it convincingly at all. First, they don't factor in more players due to 4 more teams. THat alone cuts the growth to about 34%. That's not quite the spike they are looking for. Then, they fail to mention all the new surgeories done now. Even 10 years ago a knee or elbow injury would end your career. Today, they get surgeory and continue. But as a result, they are on the DL more often.

That the union isn't more interested shows they could care less about the well-being of their members. Not a very nice message to be sending.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby barry4prez » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:15 am

*Prepares to get torn to shreds*

Was Mark Prior on steroids?

Let me explain.

Last year, he was probably the second most dominant pitcher in baseball (behind Jason Schmidt). Nearly unhittable, and striking guys out right and left. The man is a monster. However, during the offseason, a huge steroid controversy arises. Prior comes up with a strange achilles injury. Aren't steroids supposed to tear apart your tendons, ligaments, and other connective tissuse? So hypothetically, if he were on steroids and then stopped taking them because of the outcry against them this offseason, wouldn't it put him in line for some kind of injury trouble? And sure enough...

Then this year, Prior comes back and is nowhere near the pitcher he was last year. I know he was just coming off the DL, but he's had a few starts now and has not been the Prior everyone saw last year and drafted in the first round this year.

There may be some other explanation for this. And inevitably someone in this thread will call Bonds a roid freak after seeing my handle. But how come everyone looks at Bonds (who has continued to stay relatively healthy and continued to mash despite the steroid craze), and seems to turn a blind eye towards other, maybe more obvious candidates? Call me crazy, but Prior's situation sounds a little suspicious.
barry4prez
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:22 am

barry4prez wrote:*Prepares to get torn to shreds*

Let me explain.

Last year, he was probably the second most dominant pitcher in baseball (behind Jason Schmidt). Nearly unhittable, and striking guys out right and left. The man is a monster. However, during the offseason, a huge steroid controversy arises. Prior comes up with a strange achilles injury. Aren't steroids supposed to tear apart your tendons, ligaments, and other connective tissuse? So hypothetically, if he were on steroids and then stopped taking them because of the outcry against them this offseason, wouldn't it put him in line for some kind of injury trouble? And sure enough...

Then this year, Prior comes back and is nowhere near the pitcher he was last year. I know he was just coming off the DL, but he's had a few starts now and has not been the Prior everyone saw last year and drafted in the first round this year.

There may be some other explanation for this. And inevitably someone in this thread will call Bonds a roid freak after seeing my handle. But how come everyone looks at Bonds (who has continued to stay relatively healthy and continued to mash despite the steroid craze), and seems to turn a blind eye towards other, maybe more obvious candidates? Call me crazy, but Prior's situation sounds a little suspicious.

To me, it's not the superstar's who would of used 'roids. Why cut your life in half for no reason? Prior had basically the same injury as Nomar, so does that mean he is on steroids? Reyes had been mysteriously injured the whole first 3 months on the year. Does that mean he was on steriods? For me, I have to look at someone's whole career. Prior has been dominant ever since he was in high school. If he used steriods since High School, he would probably be friggin ripped by now. Bonds, for example, has always hit homeruns, so the only reason I could see for him to use steriods to get healthy(which I still don't think he did).

Playing the guessing game is a little unfair. In the next few years, names will be leaked out, and people will caught red-handed. Let's just wait until then.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby barry4prez » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:33 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:

Let me explain.

To me, it's not the superstar's who would of used 'roids. Why cut your life in half for no reason? Prior had basically the same injury as Nomar, so does that mean he is on steroids? Reyes had been mysteriously injured the whole first 3 months on the year. Does that mean he was on steriods? For me, I have to look at someone's whole career. Prior has been dominant ever since he was in high school. If he used steriods since High School, he would probably be friggin ripped by now. Bonds, for example, has always hit homeruns, so the only reason I could see for him to use steriods to get healthy(which I still don't think he did).

Playing the guessing game is a little unfair. In the next few years, names will be leaked out, and people will caught red-handed. Let's just wait until then.

He was ripped.

But I agree. I guess I'm being a bit hypocritical here, complaining on the one hand about people accusing Bonds, then doing the exact same with Prior.

Why didn't baseball just have a drug policy all along? :-t
barry4prez
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:19 pm

barry4prez wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:

Why didn't baseball just have a drug policy all along? :-t

Because they really didn't want one. That doesn't surprise nor disappoint me. I always thought the MLBPA should have been the ones to push for the strongest possible policy. Since we can safely assume the vast majority of the membership doesn't cheat, it would benefit more players if the juicers were caught. But the act the MLBPA never has been a force in this area just furthers the notion that the rank and file have never mattered much to them, either.
Last edited by thehat on Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby d18Mike » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:18 pm

You are 100% right. Baseball doesn't want a substance abuse policy anymore that Ceech and Chong want one. High scoring (read HRs) brings in fans. The more fans you can bring in, the more money you make. Owners know this. Players know this.

The Union would not -- and should not if it is doing its job -- do anyting to prevent their players from profit maximizing. That is its reason to exist. I'm assuming, of course that the Union has no interest in the health and well-being of its players. If that is the case it is because the players empowered them to act as such. Don't blame the Union. Blames the players. They ARE the Union.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers