Where's Valverde? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's Valverde?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where's Valverde?

Postby d18Mike » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:29 pm

It's funny. Practically everytime a closer sneezes the Fantasy services write four pages on it ... Valverde goes on the 15-Day DL and I can't find anything about his status for the coming week for some reason.

Anybody seen anything?
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:38 pm

From Rotowire

Valverde (shoulder tendinitis) experienced pain near his biceps during a throwing session Friday and has been ordered to stop throwing, according to the Diamondbacks' official web site.

According to the report, Valverde received a cortisone shot later on Friday. It's the second injection that Valverde has received since being diagnosed with shoulder tendinitis. The first injection was done to treat his thickened bursa sac in the shoulder, while this one was given to the front of the shoulder. Valverde was expected to return fairly quickly, but this latest development is not good news. It now appears as if Valverde will be out for an extended period, and we now can't presume that he'll automatically reclaim the closer role at Arizona if and when he does come back. Make sure that your short-term patches for Valverde on your roster can be long-term fixes if, indeed, he won't be pitching in save situations any more this season.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby G-Man » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:58 pm

thanks for the update fireball, hadn't heard this latest news....sounds like trouble.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BoSox4life » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:09 pm

Yeah thanks...I was beginning to wonder. Doesn't sound good at all..is he even worth a DL spot?
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mtarail » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:56 pm

Closers on teams that can't win games aren't very valuable.

Personally, I'd cut him from a DL spot. Koplove isn't a long-term solution but he could be serviceable for awhile and Mantei will probably get another shot this year.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby G-Man » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:59 pm

an extended DL stint for him warrants an easy drop IMO but if it turns out he can be back soon after the break he might be worth holding on to (depending on your bullpen situation).
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:01 pm

Fireball Express wrote:From Rotowire

Valverde (shoulder tendinitis) experienced pain near his biceps during a throwing session Friday and has been ordered to stop throwing, according to the Diamondbacks' official web site.

Could've used this info BEFORE the waivers pick... [grumble]. Ah well, just more evidence about how poorly things are going in one league...

But yeah, if he's out until September you might as well toss him. By then someone will probably have secured a spot as the closer.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:23 pm

I owned Valverde in three of my four leagues prior to the injury. Now I own him in none. Perhaps if I had a free DL spot I'd have kept him, but that's sure not the case for me this season. Guess it's the same for most owners with the unending run of DL trips this year.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:08 am

Well, wait, hold on everybody...

From Rotoworld:
Jose Valverde (forearm tendinitis) won't travel with the Diamondbacks this week.
He'll return shortly after the All-Star break.

Hmm... guess we'll have to wait and see who's correct in their time estimates...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

Postby G-Man » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:05 am

MashinSpuds wrote:Well, wait, hold on everybody...

From Rotoworld:
Jose Valverde (forearm tendinitis) won't travel with the Diamondbacks this week.
He'll return shortly after the All-Star break.

Hmm... guess we'll have to wait and see who's correct in their time estimates...

it's always the best idea to find as much info from different sources as possible when trying to make roster decisions, and this is a good example. i think some 3rd party sites sensationalize their news a bit at times while others may be overly conservative/optimistic so sometimes it is difficult to get a good feel on what to do with a guy.

regardless i have hung on to valverde and plan to do so b/c there are no attractive FA options out there and I can afford to eat up a roster spot with him for the time being.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers