MLB orders Foulke to take Flag off baseball cap. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB orders Foulke to take Flag off baseball cap.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:35 am

thehat wrote:
matmat wrote:
thehat wrote:This would open a gigantic can of worms, and a potentially ugly one. Must each player only be allowed to exhibit his land of origin? Or can it be for his favorite country? If all of the players on a team, except for one, decide to put the American flag on their sleeve, what happens to the one who doesn't? Surely you're not suggesting that everyone be forced to do this...and if you're not then the one who opts to not wear his flag will certainly be ostracized by fans and perhaps teammates as well.

how about this. you have two choices -- the flag of your country of citizenship, or the american flag.

Still doesn't solve the problem...suppose a handful of players choose not to wear any flag. If that were to be the case, they would become targets. Nope, mat, it just doesn't wash. You wear the uniform of your team and that's it. You can wear anything you want under the uniform, but the outward appearance is strictly uniform. Forcing someone to comply or feel the wrath of those who don't see eye to eye with him...well, that's just not American, or at least it's not supposed to be.

I agree.....he shouldn't be allowed to wear it. Let them draw under the bill of their cap, have tattoos on their arms (or their asses like Justin Miller), but a uniform is a uniform. I don' see anything wrong in Foulke's case, if it were just him respecting his fellow Americans, but like people mentioned, it can indirectly force others to do the same, even if they don't share the same beliefs. An example, and an extreme one at that, is somebody born in Iraq wearing an Iraqi flag on their hat. How would that sit with the commish? Probably not too well, would it. Players should not be seen based on their nationality or heritage, but just as players for their team. You have to remember this is an international game, not just American. There are places and times other than baseball games to profess your beliefs and tributes.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:00 am

I can at least understand why Selig might make him take down the flag, simply because there are other nationalities present in MLB. I don't really agree with that decision, but at least I understand it's logic.

However when he made the Cardinals take down their number 57, I found that to be extremely absurd and uptight. Dress code my ass, I don't see how players paying their respects to a fallen teammate could offend anyone. Jeez.

How about Biggio for commisioner? :-)
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:01 am

lol, or Pete Rose for commisioner

hah
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:12 am

bah. the problem is that people view it as the comish telling someone to remove a flag from the cap rather than just adding something to his cap. you're can't add anything to the uniform; it has nothing to do with the fact that this particular case involves a flag.

whats more, i don't see why flags should get exemptions. what if i want to staple a picture of my dog on my uni? why can't i do that? pictures of dogs arn't objectionable (err... in general...), but they're not part of the mlb uniform, so you can't wear 'em.

try not to think of this as "selig say no flags on unis" as much as "selig says nothing non-offical mlb on unis", because that is the ruling he is enforcing.
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby agchris02 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:56 am

giants8307 wrote:Although I don't like the United States, this is silly. It's just a little patch. If a player wants that or a 57, i don't see how that's going to affect the game.

[edited, NO FLAMING Please! - Trans]

o and happy birthday to the greatest damn country in the world
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: MLB orders Foulke to take Flag off baseball cap.

Postby bboy » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:05 am

brdmaverick wrote:Red Sox closer Keith Foulke has been wearing a patch of an American flag on the side of his baseball cap.

Apparently not everyone is so fond of American pride, however, as the commisioner has ordered that it be removed and never be worn again.

what's the harm in the flag. let the guy show a little pride.

Perhaps it is because baseball is dominated by hispanics / central Americans / Cubans and the descendents of freed slaves.

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." -Albert Einstein or pehaps more apt

"Patriotism, the virtue of the vicious." - Oscar Wilde
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: MLB orders Foulke to take Flag off baseball cap.

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:05 pm

bboy wrote:"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." -Albert Einstein

Did you ever read the document from which that quote is extracted? I am assuming you did not because tagging it onto this thread is innapropriate.

bboy wrote:"Patriotism, the virtue of the vicious." - Oscar Wilde

Again, perhaps you should try reading Wilde. He's referring to the evils of man in the guise of patriotism. Not simply lofting a flag because someone is proud of his country's people.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:15 pm

Mods:

Good work cleaning up the thread and reopening it.
You guys certainly aren't lazy.

is this your handiwork DHC?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby ensanimal » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:55 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
DK wrote:
Sunspot wrote:I believe there should be an U.S. Flag on all uniforms, not necesarily the hat, but it should be somewhere.

What about Montreal and Toronto? 8o

Montreal wont be in Canada for any more than a year, and does anyone really care about Toronto? (besides Jackal and Mookie :-b )

i'm pretty sure montreal will be in canada for more than a year. the expos may not be, but i'm pretty sure montreal will be. ;-) :-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:14 pm

ensanimal wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
DK wrote:
Sunspot wrote:I believe there should be an U.S. Flag on all uniforms, not necesarily the hat, but it should be somewhere.

What about Montreal and Toronto? 8o

Montreal wont be in Canada for any more than a year, and does anyone really care about Toronto? (besides Jackal and Mookie :-b )

i'm pretty sure montreal will be in canada for more than a year. the expos may not be, but i'm pretty sure montreal will be. ;-) :-D

Not so fast ensanimal. The Bloq Quebecois did very well in the last election - Montreal may not be in Canada in a few years. (For the Americans - Quebec wants to separate and take Montreal with them into a new country).

And as for the flag - we can put the flag on our uniforms but can we sew them in upside down?

Does anyone remember what happened at game 2 of the 1992 World Series?

how about we use this flag?

Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers