MLB orders Foulke to take Flag off baseball cap. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB orders Foulke to take Flag off baseball cap.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:47 pm

godallahstar wrote:err, it was a condescending remark, mocking G-Man's comments.

Ah, you scared me. No worries. :-b
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:08 pm

thehat wrote:This would open a gigantic can of worms, and a potentially ugly one. Must each player only be allowed to exhibit his land of origin? Or can it be for his favorite country? If all of the players on a team, except for one, decide to put the American flag on their sleeve, what happens to the one who doesn't? Surely you're not suggesting that everyone be forced to do this...and if you're not then the one who opts to not wear his flag will certainly be ostracized by fans and perhaps teammates as well.

how about this. you have two choices -- the flag of your country of citizenship, or the american flag.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WhiteHot » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:12 pm

DK wrote:
godallahstar wrote:maybe it's offensive because all of the CBS and NBC cop shows he watches, display gang members and generally most black youth -rocking their hats at a 170° degree angle. As opposed to straight forward and slightly angled downward, as if they were 35 year old white men who didn't want to mess up their hair... or lack of

OK, I don't know if I should make that out as a racist comment or a derogatory comment against gangs. They should conform to what a "35 year old white man" does? I have a number of friends who "rock their hats" at an angle. Does that make them gangsters?

Not gangsters, but degenerates. I wonder how many people would "rock" their hat if they weren't bombarded by MTV and rappers doing it. It's like follow the leader, except the leader is someone who advocates killing and prostitution. They are trying for an image, an unwholesome one.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:56 pm

eftda wrote:ug, we need a new commish. I would love it if Mark Grace was the commish.

amen,,,,you just need a commissioner that is ready willing and able to be slump buster if thats what it takes to make the team better.

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:59 pm

WhiteHot wrote:
DK wrote:
godallahstar wrote:maybe it's offensive because all of the CBS and NBC cop shows he watches, display gang members and generally most black youth -rocking their hats at a 170° degree angle. As opposed to straight forward and slightly angled downward, as if they were 35 year old white men who didn't want to mess up their hair... or lack of

OK, I don't know if I should make that out as a racist comment or a derogatory comment against gangs. They should conform to what a "35 year old white man" does? I have a number of friends who "rock their hats" at an angle. Does that make them gangsters?

Not gangsters, but degenerates. I wonder how many people would "rock" their hat if they weren't bombarded by MTV and rappers doing it. It's like follow the leader, except the leader is someone who advocates killing and prostitution. They are trying for an image, an unwholesome one.

That's funny, OUR leader advocates getting stone drunk, and so do his daughters... Every leader has a bad side, and a good side.

What's wrong with prostitution? O:-)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:59 pm

blankman wrote:
thehat wrote:It's in the labor agreement, as I stated before. And while I agree that a #57 or a flag is fine, it's still an individual thing. Suppose someone wants to put a decal on his cap for some political cause he's involved in, or someone else wants a message that others may find offensive.

great point. next thing we'd see is Bush Cheney '04/ Kerry ___ '04

::::buzzes in:::::: what is Kerry SUX '04 alex?!!!

:-D
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:04 pm

giants8307 wrote:Although I don't like the United States, this is silly.
%-6
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby godallahstar » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:21 pm

WhiteHot wrote:Not gangsters, but degenerates. I wonder how many people would "rock" their hat if they weren't bombarded by MTV and rappers doing it. It's like follow the leader, except the leader is someone who advocates killing and prostitution. They are trying for an image, an unwholesome one.

then you my friend, by playing golf, advocate discrimination - and are trying for an image, a very sanctimonious one.

maybe if you had any knowledge of the music, the culture and the precedents - you wouldn't be so ignorant when referring to it.

but whatever, keep on keepin on.
give bill o'reilly my best.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:26 pm

giants8307 wrote:Although I don't like the United States, this is silly.
What dont you like about the US? I see you obviously dont hate it enough to not live here !+) If you dont like the president, remember that he is only one head of the US and I think Id rather have Bush then that nut job in Korea.
Oddly enough you have Miguel Cabrera wearing his hat the same way as your avatar. So what are you, racist? Plus only a few rappers advocate killing (AKA Tupac, but he got killed ;-) )

{edit BBCode for clarity....DHC}
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby thehat » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:20 am

matmat wrote:
thehat wrote:This would open a gigantic can of worms, and a potentially ugly one. Must each player only be allowed to exhibit his land of origin? Or can it be for his favorite country? If all of the players on a team, except for one, decide to put the American flag on their sleeve, what happens to the one who doesn't? Surely you're not suggesting that everyone be forced to do this...and if you're not then the one who opts to not wear his flag will certainly be ostracized by fans and perhaps teammates as well.

how about this. you have two choices -- the flag of your country of citizenship, or the american flag.

Still doesn't solve the problem...suppose a handful of players choose not to wear any flag. If that were to be the case, they would become targets. Nope, mat, it just doesn't wash. You wear the uniform of your team and that's it. You can wear anything you want under the uniform, but the outward appearance is strictly uniform. Forcing someone to comply or feel the wrath of those who don't see eye to eye with him...well, that's just not American, or at least it's not supposed to be.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers