MLB orders Foulke to take Flag off baseball cap. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB orders Foulke to take Flag off baseball cap.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Zito is God » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:04 pm

Selig is honestly the worst commisioner in any sport. Mark Grace is a great idea! :-D

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:58 pm

i would see absolutely nothing wrong if every MLB were allowed to wear a small patch showing their country of origin on the uniform.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:19 pm

matmat wrote:i would see absolutely nothing wrong if every MLB were allowed to wear a small patch showing their country of origin on the uniform.

This would open a gigantic can of worms, and a potentially ugly one. Must each player only be allowed to exhibit his land of origin? Or can it be for his favorite country? If all of the players on a team, except for one, decide to put the American flag on their sleeve, what happens to the one who doesn't? Surely you're not suggesting that everyone be forced to do this...and if you're not then the one who opts to not wear his flag will certainly be ostracized by fans and perhaps teammates as well.

Here's another example. Players A and B were both born in America, but are of Mexican heritage. Player A puts the American flag on his cap, but Player B decides he would prefer the Mexican flag. Would he be forced to wear the American flag as that's where he was born? And if that's the case, then pity the poor fool who happened to have been born in a country that is presently at odds with America politically.

It's a good rule the way it is. Baseball isn't about where you're from, who you support politically, what color you are, what religion you ascribe to if any, or anything else other than how well you can pitch, hit or field the ball. It took baseball till 1947 to realize that it should ONLY be about the game, and not about anything else.

They almost screwed it up this year with the Spiderman bases, but the reaction from the whopping majority of fans and players alike was identical. Advertise or support anything you want anywhere in the stadium EXCEPT on the field. The only thing that should take place on those diamonds is baseball.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:02 pm

Trying to think if there are any players from the Middle East in the majors right now, I wonder how well an Iraq flag would go over on a hat. People calling this unpatriotic need to lighten up, its not that big of a deal.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby godallahstar » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:05 pm

you're definitely right - tavish.

the only reason people on this message board have a problem with it - is because it's the american flag.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Precise » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:18 pm

its not a part of the mlb dress code. that is all... people shouldnt make a big deal about it. people are defending foulke's right to wear the patch because it is the american flag but i think all hell breaks lose if a player wears a gulp..... iraqi flag.
Precise
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:26 pm

G-Man wrote:I have read the entire MLB rulebook several times (touch of sarcasm) in search of the definitive rule forbidding knuckleheads like sabathia from wearing their hats crooked. now THAT is offensive.

How is it offensive? A guy just wants to wear his hat. :-?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby godallahstar » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:31 pm

maybe it's offensive because all of the CBS and NBC cop shows he watches, display gang members and generally most black youth -rocking their hats at a 170° degree angle. As opposed to straight forward and slightly angled downward, as if they were 35 year old white men who didn't want to mess up their hair... or lack of.... just kidding, by the way..
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:33 pm

godallahstar wrote:maybe it's offensive because all of the CBS and NBC cop shows he watches, display gang members and generally most black youth -rocking their hats at a 170° degree angle. As opposed to straight forward and slightly angled downward, as if they were 35 year old white men who didn't want to mess up their hair... or lack of

OK, I don't know if I should make that out as a racist comment or a derogatory comment against gangs. They should conform to what a "35 year old white man" does? I have a number of friends who "rock their hats" at an angle. Does that make them gangsters?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby godallahstar » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:35 pm

err, it was a condescending remark, mocking G-Man's comments.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers