Spiderman 2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Spiderman 2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:57 pm

Wait, you watched LOTR in a philosphy course and are complaining?

Anyway, we disagree. No comic book movie should ever be that long. Ever.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:06 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Wait, you watched LOTR in a philosphy course and are complaining?

It was an interesting philosophy class! The teacher is a huge LOTR fan and decided to talk about "Philosohpy of Lord of the Rings"

Wtf?! Lame!!!

Anyway, we disagree. No comic book movie should ever be that long. Ever.

which brings me back to my point that patience for a long length of a movie comes down to interest in subject matter. I bet most comic book fans (myself included, to an extremely lesser extent) would disagree with that statement. Just like most LOTR fan would disagree with me saying those movies were to long.

Anyway, it's really not a big deal.

It's all cool. B-)
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:59 am

CrazyPooja90 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:But LOTR was so long largely because it followed the books, which were long.

This has no excuse.

LOTR could have been edited better and still fit the books fine. I know, really, I've just seen ALL THREE in this philosophy course. A real struggle in will power to stay awake.

Spiderman 2 does have an excuse. The lengthy talking scenes which you claim dragged on was A) there to add moral and meaning to an otherwise fun, but meaningless movie and B) to follow the comic book!

First of all, all 3 Lord of the Rings were awesome. I think the only scenes that should have been cut out, including the extended versions, were the party scene in the Fellowship, and most of the tree scenes in Two Towers. I didn't mind thre length at all in those.

Second of all, I'd rather see a fun and meaningless movie than a long boring morality tale. I don't go to superhero movies to see a touch-your-heart fairy tale. I go to see fast paced action. But that's just me I guess. At least now I know to wait for SM3 to hit the video store or KaZaA.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:16 am

LBJackal wrote:
CrazyPooja90 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:But LOTR was so long largely because it followed the books, which were long.

This has no excuse.

LOTR could have been edited better and still fit the books fine. I know, really, I've just seen ALL THREE in this philosophy course. A real struggle in will power to stay awake.

Spiderman 2 does have an excuse. The lengthy talking scenes which you claim dragged on was A) there to add moral and meaning to an otherwise fun, but meaningless movie and B) to follow the comic book!

First of all, all 3 Lord of the Rings were awesome. I think the only scenes that should have been cut out, including the extended versions, were the party scene in the Fellowship, and most of the tree scenes in Two Towers. I didn't mind thre length at all in those.

Second of all, I'd rather see a fun and meaningless movie than a long boring morality tale. I don't go to superhero movies to see a touch-your-heart fairy tale. I go to see fast paced action. But that's just me I guess. At least now I know to wait for SM3 to hit the video store or KaZaA.

Yeah, well taste is all subjective.

The tree scenes in the Two Towers were painful. To borrow a line from MAD, "watching a turle slowly pass gas is more action packed then sitting through those scenes."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:15 am

CrazyPooja90 wrote:To borrow a line from MAD, "watching a turle slowly pass gas is more action packed then sitting through those scenes."

8-o

Lol. :-D

Where is that line from? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:23 am

I was reading a MAD Magazine the other day, and it was in a spoof of Return of the King. (Issue 440) I think they were referring to scenes with Arwen (both of them!) But it is certainly fitting with the Tree-Ent scenes of the Two Towers.

I've been reading MAD for years. I thought that line was funny as hell.

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:32 am

I used to read MAD Magazine and their other one. It was named Cracked. Not sure if they stll make it or not, but I used to buy both copies every month when I was a kid. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:50 pm

LBJackal wrote:
First of all, all 3 Lord of the Rings were awesome. I think the only scenes that should have been cut out, including the extended versions, were the party scene in the Fellowship, and most of the tree scenes in Two Towers.

LBJ...I agree about the party scene...but the tree scenes are really part of the story....and really I think a little more should have been done with them...to me that was a little more central in the book than what the movie lead on... :-)

just a question...did you read the book before or after you started seeing the movies... :-?
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:08 am

I didn't read the books...........I was bombarded by two friends who read the books. One friend read them all a while ago, multiple times. The other guy read each book after the movie was released.

From what I heard, yes the trees were a big part, but they made the scenes so boring, and you couldn't even hear what they were saying. Just one scene having a tree say "we're gonna come help you guys kick some Uruk-hai (sp?) ass" would have been fine.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:31 am

LBJackal wrote:From what I heard, yes the trees were a big part, but they made the scenes so boring, and you couldn't even hear what they were saying. Just one scene having a tree say "we're gonna come help you guys kick some Uruk-hai (sp?) ass" would have been fine.

That is kinda what I meant....They should have done more with the scenes...there was alot more in the books that lead up to the fight...than what the movie portrayed...I would have rather then developed it more...but I also read the book several times before I saw the movies.. :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk