Spiderman 2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Spiderman 2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:59 am

I thought it was a solid movie for the most part - not the end-all-be-all of movies, but definitely interesting.

My biggest problem with it was the storyline of the new energy source - that was simply unnecessary - couldnt we just have an Evil DocOc that wasnt trying to create a renewable source of energy too?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I thought it was a solid movie for the most part - not the end-all-be-all of movies, but definitely interesting.

My biggest problem with it was the storyline of the new energy source - that was simply unnecessary - couldnt we just have an Evil DocOc that wasnt trying to create a renewable source of energy too?

Not saying your wrong but isn't it based on the comic books? I think they use the same storylines with some minor tweaking to make it more movie-friendly.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:09 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I thought it was a solid movie for the most part - not the end-all-be-all of movies, but definitely interesting.

Not saying your wrong but isn't it based on the comic books? I think they use the same storylines with some minor tweaking to make it more movie-friendly.

you're right - I really never got into Spidey comics, so I dont know the real DocOc plot - I always thought Spidey's villians were a little soft anyway.
I was an X-men collector. Xmen 3 should be brilliant with the Phoenix saga - I wonder if they really plan on making her as much of a badass as the comic book did.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:52 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:LBJ, I agree with you. Couldn't they get an editor? His talk with is Aunt was WAAAAY too long. Ugh.

Eh, this is where I am inclined to disagree with you. The long talk with his aunt not only served the story well (by guiding Peter Parker in his struggle with juggling two different lives) but also, when she talked about what a "hero" is, it gave the story some meaning and moral purpose.

One could argue it was the talk with the aunt which escalated the movie from a slightly above average action film, to a well made, all-around great movie.
Last edited by CrazyPooja90 on Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:00 pm

CrazyPooja90 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:LBJ, I agree with you. Couldn't they get an editor? His talk with is Aunt was WAAAAY too long. Ugh.

Eh, this is where I am inclined to disagree with you. The long talk with his grandma not only served the story well (by guiding Peter Parker in his struggle with juggling two different lives) but also, when she talked about what a "hero" is, it gave the story some meaning and moral purpose.

One could argue it was the talk with the grandma which escalated the movie from a slightly above average action film, to a well made, all-around great movie.

As did Spiderman 1 when he had the talk with his Uncle in the car. I still can't forget that line....With great power comes great responsibility...
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GSes » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:24 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
CrazyPooja90 wrote:

Eh, this is where I am inclined to disagree with you. The long talk with his grandma not only served the story well (by guiding Peter Parker in his struggle with juggling two different lives) but also, when she talked about what a "hero" is, it gave the story some meaning and moral purpose.

One could argue it was the talk with the grandma which escalated the movie from a slightly above average action film, to a well made, all-around great movie.

As did Spiderman 1 when he had the talk with his Uncle in the car. I still can't forget that line....With great power comes great responsibility...
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:13 pm

CrazyPooja90 wrote:

Eh, this is where I am inclined to disagree with you. The long talk with his aunt not only served the story well (by guiding Peter Parker in his struggle with juggling two different lives) but also, when she talked about what a "hero" is, it gave the story some meaning and moral purpose.

One could argue it was the talk with the aunt which escalated the movie from a slightly above average action film, to a well made, all-around great movie.

That scene could simply have been her saying "there's a hero..." The rest was horrible. This movie needed an editor soooooo bad.

And they gave away way to many plot issues. The hobgobblin, MJ finding out, a whole train full of people finding out, etc. It was too much.

I'd be interested to see "deleted scenes" when the DVD comes out. I bet there was just one. Man, did they have an editor?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:18 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
CrazyPooja90 wrote:

That scene could simply have been her saying "there's a hero..." The rest was horrible. This movie needed an editor soooooo bad.

And they gave away way to many plot issues. The hobgobblin, MJ finding out, a whole train full of people finding out, etc. It was too much.

I'd be interested to see "deleted scenes" when the DVD comes out. I bet there was just one. Man, did they have an editor?

Haha, I feel exactly the same for all three of the Lord of the Rings movies as you do for Spiderman 2. However all of my friends who are a big fan of the LOTR series not only didn't mind the (absurdly long) length, but even payed the extra few bucks for the special edition, with "extra scenes that were edited out for the theatrical release"

So I suppose patience for a film varies with one's interest in the subject matter..... :-?

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:24 pm

But LOTR was so long largely because it followed the books, which were long.

This has no excuse.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:51 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:But LOTR was so long largely because it followed the books, which were long.

This has no excuse.

LOTR could have been edited better and still fit the books fine. I know, really, I've just seen ALL THREE in this philosophy course. A real struggle in will power to stay awake.

Spiderman 2 does have an excuse. The lengthy talking scenes which you claim dragged on was A) there to add moral and meaning to an otherwise fun, but meaningless movie and B) to follow the comic book!

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk