VERY Detailed Restructuring of Team 4 2nd Half-A MUST READ!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

VERY Detailed Restructuring of Team 4 2nd Half-A MUST READ!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

VERY Detailed Restructuring of Team 4 2nd Half-A MUST READ!!

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:18 pm

I KNOW THIS IS THE WRONG FORUM BUT IM NOT GETTIN ANY RESPONSES ON THE OTHER FORUM AND I REALLY WANT SOME OPINIONS CAUSE I PUT LOTSA THOUGHT AND TIME INTO THIS... THANKS ALOT, HERE IT IS:

Quick backround... I'm the 3 year defending champ in this competetive league with all my friends but im currently in 8th, 71-81, about 32 games back, top 6 go to playoffs for first... the actual league is a 12 team h2h league with traditional yahoo categories, runs, hrs, rbis, sbs, avg, wins, svs, ks, era, whip, in addition, hits, total bases, losses, and complete games. i didnt focus so much on cg's since its a random stat, i dumped saves in order to bolster my lineup since all of those offensive categories are very enticing. here is my full strategy, followed by old roster, and then new roster and each trade/move i made to get my team to look this way... please lend me your detailed opinions, and ideas on ways to improve, with consideration to my strategy.

OFFENSIVE STRATEGY-
my strategy was to get a solid lineup, get nomar to fill my shortstop needs thatve plagued me all season, rely on overbay to keep contributing hits, runs, rbis, tbs and avg, and just hope the power comes soon, hoping boone will rebound with a nice 2nd half, the same with andruw, and ichiro is key cause id really like him to get lots of hits, runs, sbs, and high avg every week... i hope he can provide those for me. javy should get a little better but hes a solid catchers regardless, giles should heat up hopefully, i hope mora can continue to produce in his potent lineup (though ive proposed a trade trying to send him and giles for sosa and huff) but his bad 2nd half numbers dont give me faith. garret should provide solid power numbers, and beltran is beltran... and as for patterson id love to give him a starting roster spot, hes solid and i think hell only get better, but in this lineup i dont think i can. i wanted to get more table setters like ichiro, ie damon, figgins, biggio... basically to contribute in the stats i said for ichiro (minus steals for damon/biggio, but plus power on them).

PITCHING STRATEGY-
i dumped closers to gain offense and filled their spots with middle relievers. i also traded vazquez to get nomar, that was the only person he wanted for nomar. my pitching strategy is to have solid middle relievers (6...shields stays at starting pitcher so i have 6 active middle relievers) to get me a low era and low whip all the time, saves here and there... i woulda liked to get gordon and lidge for their high k's, but i got what i got. this middle relief strategy should get me a good amount of vulture wins, little losses, decent k's, some saves, low era, and low whip... as for my starters i like johan, oliver/odalis perez, eaton and peavy because they should provide me with good k's and decent numbers in every other stat, i look for johan to be great, peavy to be as good if not better as he was b4 he got hurt, oliver and odalis i think will be stud in their own respect, getting me k's and low era's, maybe not so many wins, and eaton was a waiver pickup so i might use him as my spot starter spot on my roster, depends on how he pitches. i think this pitching staff should get me era and whip every week, k's alot, wins alot, little losses(which is good)... but little cg's and little sv's. i still would like to get beckett for his high k's and right now hes dispensible bc injuries, but thats why im nervous, and i wanted lidge mota and gordon, but lidge is prolly hard to get now and i cant think of a trade with the kid who has gordon... motas a FA though, should he get a roster spot?

OLD TEAM-
This is basically what my old team looked like, its not exact but the key players are there. i seperated the rps and sps so you could view them better, and i had hafner platooning with sweeney and overbay from time to time

C J. López (Bal - C)
1B M. Sweeney (KC - 1B,DH)
2B B. Boone (Sea - 2B)
3B M. Mora (Bal - 3B, LF)
SS R. Furcal (Atl - SS)
OF C. Beltrán (Hou - CF)
OF H. Matsui (NYY - LF)
OF B. Giles (SD - LF,CF,RF)
Util L. Overbay (Mil - 1B)
Util C. Patterson (ChC - CF)
BN T. Hafner (Cle - 1B)
BN M. Ensberg (Hou - 3B)
DL A. KearnsDL (Cin - RF)

SP --------Empty--------
SP --------Empty--------
RP O. Dotel (Oak - RP)
RP F. Rodríguez (Ana - RP)
P D. Kolb (Mil - RP)
P D. Graves (Cin - SP,RP)
P --------Empty--------
BN J. Vázquez (NYY - SP)
BN O. Pérez (LA - SP)
BN J. Santana (Min - SP,RP)
BN T. Lilly (Tor - SP)
BN R. Harden (Oak - SP)
BN Z. Greinke (KC - SP)
DL J. PeavyDL (SD - SP)

OK... thats my old team, and here are the trades and add/drops i made:

Kolb & Matsui 4 Garret & Rincon (strategy: this was about 3 weeks ago, but matsuis hot, garrets better and kolbs great, but rincon fits into my pitching strategy)

Sweeney & Graves 4 Andruw Jones & Otsuka (strategy: this was a risk, im hoping sweeney stays mediocre, graves comes back down to earth, and jones finds his fantasy stroke weve loved for years, and otsuka better continue to put up solid relief numbers)

J. Vazquez, Dotel, & Furcal 4 Nomar & Ichiro (strategy: i could only get nomar for vazquez and ichiro fits into my strategy, and dumping sv's was part of plan... hopefully furcal doesnt heat up and hopefully nomar and ichiro do)

Added: Oliver Perez, Eaton, A. Boone, Shields, Frasor, Takatsu

Dropped: Kearns, Ensberg, Harden, Greinke, Lilly (i gave up on kearns and ensberg a while ago, and im done with catchin high era, whip and losses from harden, and greinke/lilly just dont fit)

NEW TEAM-

C J. López (Bal - C)
1B L. Overbay (Mil - 1B)
2B B. Boone (Sea - 2B)
3B M. Mora (Bal - 3B,LF)
SS N. Garciaparra (Bos - SS)
OF C. Beltrán (Hou - CF)
OF G. Anderson (Ana - LF,CF,DH)
OF B. Giles (SD - LF,CF,RF)
Util A. Jones (Atl - CF)
Util I. Suzuki (Sea - RF)
BN C. Patterson (ChC - CF)
DL A. BooneDL (Cle - 2B,3B)

SP S. Shields (Ana - SP,RP)
SP --empty-- - - - - - - - -
RP Otsuka (SD - RP)
RP F. Rodríguez (Ana - RP)
P J. Rincón (Min - RP)
P S. Takatsu (CWS - RP)
P J. Frasor (Tor - RP)
BN O. Pérez (LA - SP)
BN J. Santana (Min - SP,RP)
BN O. Pérez (Pit - SP)
BN A. Eaton (SD - SP)
BN J. Peavy (SD - SP)

well that was long and detailed! now you know the strategy and ideas ive been using for the past 3 weeks to put together this team for a strong second half. keep in mind alot of these moves were made up to about a month ago... and by this upcoming monday i will have my entire team ready to go since trades r still pending. thanks for your time and detailed response, and please respond so i know all of my time writing this didnt go to
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tmoney » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:53 pm

I hate to say this to you, but you would get more resposes if you made a shorter post. I used to do the same thing as you and try to post as much detail as I could, hoping for great feedback. But I found that did not work because people see the post and either are too lazy to read something that long which does not concern them, or they just dont have the time. Just a piece of advice. BUT, since I feel your pain, tonight when I get the time (see, I dont really have the time right now), I will read over your post and help you whatever way I can. Good luck!
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:01 pm

I can see why you got no replies. 8-o
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pedantic » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 pm

tmoney wrote:I hate to say this to you, but you would get more resposes if you made a shorter post. I used to do the same thing as you and try to post as much detail as I could, hoping for great feedback. But I found that did not work because people see the post and either are too lazy to read something that long which does not concern them, or they just dont have the time. Just a piece of advice. BUT, since I feel your pain, tonight when I get the time (see, I dont really have the time right now), I will read over your post and help you whatever way I can. Good luck!

Yeah, and some punctuation and capitalization would really help, IMO. No one wants to read something that takes that much effort to decipher it. Not saying that to be mean, but IMO, it would make it much, much easier to read and respond.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Strasil42 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:08 pm

Im confused. Why did you go after ichiro? He has horrible 2nd half splits. Id try to get rid of him now while i can.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:33 pm

OK, I'll bite.

looking at the whole deal, I'd have to say that your team looks stronger. I am expecting A. Jones to warm up here. I'm not sure why but it seems out of place for him to be 'middling' at best.

The main danger I'd see is that the infield is VERY shaky. If Overbay [my Sexson replacement so I'm apprehensive re this as well] 'returns to earth', Boone and Nomar continues slogging and Mora slows down after the break (career .302 before, .223 after...), you could have a VERY hard time staying competitive. Another caveat w/ those guys is to watch out for Nomar on the road during the first week of the Yahoo H2H playoffs as the Red Sox west coast road trip last year blew me out of the season.

I didn't like the Vazquez/Dotel/ Furcal for Nomar/ Ichiro deal as much as I am keen on Vazquez but I had just finished scouting out the Padres SP and may grab Eaton myself as I think that he'll help the WHIP #s very well and, if you got him for nothing, that might at least freshen things up a bit. It appears to be a pretty big gamble but I think that you may have done pretty well with the overall outcome. Try to bump the thread or send me a message or something in a couple of weeks. I'd be intrigued to see how it pans out for you. Personally, I'd like to see Nomar get busy and return to form but I'm not even considering him at this point.

Also, kind of OT but maybe there'd be some market for a 'Detailed [i.e. LONG] Analysis Forum' or something? Sometimes these long posts are hard to slog through (like at work!!) but it can be enlightening by putting some guys into different perspectives. There's enough of them that crop up that perhaps it would keep the 'FBT Forum' more fast moving and allow people who want to go 'blah blah blah' (like me sometimes!!) a chance to do so.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Flockers » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:18 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:I can see why you got no replies. 8-o

Me too. I can speak for most that if someone types something that long, they need to get a girlfriend. :-]
Flockers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:20 am

well i understand why no1 would wanna read it, but atleast checkout the old and then new team... and if youre curious on something its provided for you. i just grabbed jason bay off of free agency so now i might be looking to move some1 in my outfield to give bay/patterson a starting spot.... and as for the guy who made the girlfriend comment, thanks, i always need someone ignorant to try and throw out a corny joke, goodjob, you really filled that void, and just to let you know i did this while at work and bored, but thanks to every1 who replied
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team