Latest on Mags....not good at all... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Latest on Mags....not good at all...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Latest on Mags....not good at all...

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:09 pm

From the WS official website:

This much is clear: Ordonez was not at the ballpark Friday, was not in the White Sox starting lineup for the 32nd straight game and probably won't be playing for the South Siders prior to the four-game set in Oakland beginning on July 15th.

The encouragement expressed by Ordonez in Florida, less than two weeks after arthroscopic surgery to repair a small meniscal tear in his left knee, has proven to be more optimistic than realistic.

"He was being optimistic, but you can't listen to what he has to say," said White Sox trainer Herm Schneider of Ordonez. "You have to listen to what everyone else goes through with the same problem.

"We are within that 4-to-6 week window. That's what 99 percent of the people go through. It doesn't make him any different than anyone else. His knee takes time to recover, and it takes time to get him ready to play at his high level at the Major League baseball level.

"Magglio was feeling so good that he got himself a little sore [from the rehab]," Schneider added. "But it's muscle pain, muscle or residual soreness. He's getting better."

Schneider explained that Ordonez has backed off his running a little bit because of that residual soreness. He's going through consistent therapy in the Western Suburbs, with the visitors' training room at Wrigley Field a little under-equipped to handle what the team and Ordonez needed.

Those nuggets of information might have been useful for Guillen before he talked to the media Friday afternoon. The White Sox manager understood that Ordonez took care of some personal business earlier in the week at home in Florida, but didn't seem overly thrilled with Ordonez's absence in Chicago.

"I don't care about Magglio right now. I worry about 25 guys on the team," said Guillen, repeating a mantra he has preached during Ordonez's month-long absence.

But Guillen continued on, sounding as if he felt a bit used by the All-Star slugger.

"You know one thing is we spent a lot of time throwing batting practice to him last week and then he disappeared," Guillen said. "So we aren't going to do that again.

"He's not a problem for me, but if you show up once a week and do what you want to do, my coaches won't be available to work with you when you want to. We work when we want to.

"I don't know where he is," Guillen added. "I haven't seen him for four days."

This is getting real ugly it looks like....could Mags be holding out on the them to get his deal done.....I just dont like this at all.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:19 pm

I hate fantasy baseball. Current injuries to my team:

Carlos Zambrano
Odalis Perez
Magglio Ordonez
Carlos Delgado
Jim Edmonds (?)
Alex Sanchez
Scott Rolen (?)

I quit! :~( :~( :~(
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sinicalypse » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:30 pm

and to think he wants vlad money this offseason... tsk tsk

magpipes is NOT vlad:

magglio's average season - .308/30/114/13 54BB 69K
vladimir's average season - .324/38/116/19 61BB 78K

edit, also note that magglio has been in a far more potent lineup than vlad up until this season, and vlad posessing homies who have his back will truly help him out. this season is vlad's first with protection and he seems to be on pace to have a better season than his average season, save home runs.

project them both out to 150 games

vlad: .342/37/135/12 with 129 runs
mags: .314/29/122/0 with 93 runs

while they dont seem too different, keep in note that this season, bad back and all, vladimir is .342/19/69/6 with 66 runs through 77 games and magglio is .311/8/34/0 with 26 runs, put that to 77 games and you've got .311/15/63/0 with 48 runs

while it's only 4 HRs and 6 RBIs difference, keep in mind that vlad tends to be a .350+ hitter from august to the end of the season, and ir eally think he's going to have a fighting chance of pulling those currently stellar numbers further upwards.

so well, depending on what happens with the injury, i think magglio's going to really shoot himself in the foot in terms of his free agent market value. much like vladdy's back last season, this is magglio's first serious injury that i can remember, and the whitesox still playing .500+ baseball w/o him isnt the best indication of him being 100% invaluable.

that said, both are damn fine ballplayers, but i dont think mags is worth vlad money, slightly less, like within 1/3 less of vladdy-dah-dee-we-like-to-par-tee.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:38 pm

:-t

To Mags
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby G-Man » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:16 pm

i agree, something smells fishy here....regardless mags is not worth vlad money. maybe he is becoming a poor man's nomah by pouting until he gets traded. i hope not though, i actually used to respect the guy.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers