Duke's coach K to coach LA? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Duke's coach K to coach LA?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Duke's coach K to coach LA?

Postby Flockers » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:55 pm

ESPN.com wrote:According to Gray, the Lakers expect to hear from Krzyzewski in the next few days and hope to have their coaching search wrapped up by next week. There are no firm details yet on the offer, described as multiyear and multimillion. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak met with Krzyzewski in North Carolina, Gray reported.

The sudden developments with Krzyzewski may have additional ramifications for the Lakers. ESPN's Jay Bilas reports that Lakers free agent guard Kobe Bryant has made it clear to the team that he wants Krzyzewski to be his next coach.

Earlier Thursday, The Associated Press reported that the Lakers were in "serious discussions" with Krzyzewski about their coaching position.

Krzyzewski, a 57-year-old Hall of Famer, has led the Blue Devils to three national championships in almost a quarter-century at the school.

"Coach K has informed us that the Los Angeles Lakers have contacted him and entered into serious discussions to fill their vacant head coaching position," Duke athletic director Joe Alleva said.

Lakers spokesman John Black said Kupchak met with Krzyzewski. "They talked about our coaching vacancy," he said.

Black said the team hasn't made a decision, and was considering several other candidates to replace Phil Jackson.

Alleva said he didn't know if the Krzyzewski and the Lakers were close to a deal.

"I haven't been privy to their conversations," he said. "But obviously, they are a great franchise."

Duke spokesman Jon Jackson said Krzyzewski was in Durham earlier Thursday. The Lakers declined to say where the discussions were held.

An attempt to reach Krzyzewski by phone was unsuccessful.

By Thursday night, about 100 students and fans gathered at "Krzyzewskiville" -- the grassy plot outside Cameron Indoor Stadium where students camp out to attend Blue Devil basketball games -- with signs and flags urging the coach to stay.

Duke president Richard Brodhead told The Associated Press he and Alleva had dinner with Krzyzewski on Tuesday, after Brodhead became aware that the coach had talked with the Lakers.

Brodhead said he didn't know if the Lakers offered Krzyzewski the job.

"If he has the offer, he's going to have a big decision before him," said Brodhead, who officially took office as Duke's president Thursday, succeeding Nan Keohane.

Brodhead said he and Alleva urged Krzyzewski to finish his career at the school.

"He means more to this place than the record of his victories, impressive though that is," Brodhead said. "He's a real teacher. He teaches character as well as basketball."

Krzyzewski has a 621-179 record in 24 seasons at Duke, leading the Blue Devils to NCAA championships in 1991, 1992 and 2001. Under Krzyzewski, the Blue Devils have 10 Final Four appearances, eight Atlantic Coast Conference tournament championships and 10 conference regular-season titles.

His Duke teams have been ranked No. 1 in 12 different seasons, including each of the last seven years.

"If he decides that he's had a great ride at Duke, but something else calls out to him now, we'd have to understand that," Brodhead said. "In the meantime, you can be sure we'll do all we can to persuade him that Duke and the college game are the right place for him."

The mother of incoming freshman David McClure, said her son was first informed of the news in a call from assistant coach Steve Wojciechowski on Thursday.

Betty McClure said she spoke with Krzyzewski over the weekend when the family brought the 6-foot-7 swingman to Durham for summer classes, and the coach gave no indication of leaving.

"They said that every year he gets approached by some team or another," she said from her home in Ridgefield, Conn. "And so, how can you really expend a lot of energy being angry or anything until you know what he's going to do?"

David McClure, reached Thursday night, said he had been told by the coaching staff not to comment.

The Lakers announced June 18 -- three days after losing to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals -- that Jackson wouldn't return as coach next season. Jackson, who signed a five-year, $30 million contract with the Lakers in June 1999, guided them to championships in his first three seasons.

Former Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich has been considered the front-runner to succeed Jackson. He met with team owner Jerry Buss and Kupchak last week.

Former Lakers coach Pat Riley, an executive with the Miami Heat, also met with Buss and Kupchak, but issued a statement saying he wasn't a candidate.

Among others mentioned have been Kurt Rambis and Jim Cleamons, members of Jackson's staff. Kupchak said he planned to interview more than one person and less than 10 for the job and hoped to have a coach in place as soon as possible.

Last month, Detroit Pistons coach Larry Brown became the first coach to win titles in both the NBA and NCAA. But Brown is the exception to the general trend of college coaches struggling in the NBA.

Rick Pitino went from two straight appearances in the national title game with Kentucky to the Boston Celtics, before quitting in 2001 and later returning to the college ranks with Louisville.

In 1992, Jerry Tarkanian, whose UNLV team won a national title in 1990, lasted just 20 games before being fired by the San Antonio Spurs with a 9-11 record.

More recently, former college coaches Lon Kruger, John Calipari, Leonard Hamilton and Tim Floyd have struggled during short tenures with the Atlanta Hawks, New Jersey Nets, Washington Wizards and New Orleans Hornets, respectively.

I don't think he'll leave. Why leave a team that's contending for the title every year? :-?
Flockers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:03 pm

Flockers wrote:Image
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flockers » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:15 pm

I didn't think that the purple hippo would be so popular. :-b
Flockers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Duke's coach K to coach LA?

Postby DaQ » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:49 pm

Flockers wrote:
I don't think he'll leave. Why leave a team that's contending for the title every year? :-?

Accoding to ESPN, Duke is the 2nd best place to coach basketball where the Lakers is the #1 place to coach. NBA coaches get more $$ as well. Also,college players have left early, if not skipped college for the NBA like Shaun Livingston and Kobe, both of who would have gone to Duke.

I don't think he should go because he has a legacy at Duke and is highly respected in NCAA basketball, as he won't be in the NBA.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:14 pm

I hope Mike K will stay at Duke. He doesn't need to deal with the headcases on his team or the LA limelight where he is. He's a much better college coach than an NBA coach.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:29 pm

DK wrote:I hope Mike K will stay at Duke. He doesn't need to deal with the headcases on his team or the LA limelight where he is. He's a much better college coach than an NBA coach.

I agree DK....I think the situation he is in now....where he is mentoring kids...suits him much better than a situation where he has to deal with the egos and headcases in the NBA spectrum... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KPucks » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:55 pm

I am a diehard Duke fan and I pray Coach K will stay. I don't think guys like Johnny Dawkins, Tommy Amaker, or Mike Brey could ever come close to the dominance Coach K has had. With that said, the Lakers have apparently offered to make Coach K the highest paid coach in pro sports, so he might go.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KPucks » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:51 pm

ESPN is reporting its 40 million over 5 years. That's a whole lot of money for a coach.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:51 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
DK wrote:I hope Mike K will stay at Duke. He doesn't need to deal with the headcases on his team or the LA limelight where he is. He's a much better college coach than an NBA coach.

I agree DK....I think the situation he is in now....where he is mentoring kids...suits him much better than a situation where he has to deal with the egos and headcases in the NBA spectrum... :-)

I'll third that one. Great points DK and DHC. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby DK » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:04 pm

KPucks wrote:ESPN is reporting its 40 million over 5 years. That's a whole lot of money for a coach.

8-o

Don't do it, Mike...
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk