Stupid Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stupid Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stupid Question

Postby strats36 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:23 am

They say there are no stupid questions but that's a lie they tell stupid people to make them feel better. Here's my stupid question:

What exactly is the difference between a shallow and deep league?

Does it have to do with the number of teams in the league or the size of the rosters on the teams?
strats36
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:30 am

Both.

12 teams with 22 man rosters is about average.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:32 am

Oh, and it really isn't a stupid question. Quite a few people are not exactly sure what the answer is simply because leagues change from year to year due to preferences, etc. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:56 am

Madison wrote:Both.

12 teams with 22 man rosters is about average.

Yep. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Re: Stupid Question

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:03 am

strats36 wrote:They say there are no stupid questions but that's a lie they tell stupid people to make them feel better. Here's my stupid question:

What exactly is the difference between a shallow and deep league?

Does it have to do with the number of teams in the league or the size of the rosters on the teams?

Yes,

A shallow league is one where there are not as many players per roster spot - eg. an AL only league where you cut out half of the players leaving a "shallow" player pool.

A deep league has a lot of players per manager either because there are few teams with few roster spots and because there is no restriction on who you can draft/purchase. This means that there is a "deep" player pool and nobody is starting Milton Bradley and Shawn Green's sorry ass is on the bench.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

Re: Stupid Question

Postby Opinion Ape » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:47 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
A shallow league is one where there are not as many players per roster spot - eg. an AL only league where you cut out half of the players leaving a "shallow" player pool.

A deep league has a lot of players per manager either because there are few teams with few roster spots and because there is no restriction on who you can draft/purchase. This means that there is a "deep" player pool and nobody is starting Milton Bradley and Shawn Green's sorry ass is on the bench.

Cry your pardon, my man, but this is actually the opposite of how I usually hear these terms used. To wit: deep vs. shallow refers to how far into the available player pool the league has to go to fill its roster spots.

Fewer teams and/or fewer roster spots on each team means fewer players are on a roster at any particular time, and that league is shallow (i.e. doesn't go very far into the player pool) -- and good players are likely still on the waiver wire. In a deep league teams carry more players, and/or there are more teams so the pickings on the waiver wire are much less attractive.

Thus, in your examples above, a league where Milton Bradley and Shawn Green approach discard status is shallow; an AL or NL only league is neither deep nor shallow 'til we know how large rosters are.

Using Madison's average #'s above, an 8 team league with 22 roster spots/team would be shallow, especially in comparison to a 20 team/22 roster spot league where folks may even carry top-notch, potential minor-league call-ups.

By the way . . . been lurking all season. Thanks to all for the help and advice.
Opinion Ape Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:56 am

hmmm lurking ape, now you have me questioning myself (I don't like doing that because too much brain space is used up by fantasy sports already).

I will try to find a link or something to clear this up later on this afternoon when I have more time.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Opinion Ape » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:03 am

Mookie4ever wrote:hmmm lurking ape, now you have me questioning myself (I don't like doing that because too much brain space is used up by fantasy sports already).

I will try to find a link or something to clear this up later on this afternoon when I have more time.

I hear you, on both counts. I'm off to work myself, and perhaps by the time we're both back the collective mind of the cafe will have resolved this . . . 'cause before I wrote what I wrote, I was positive, and now I'm less than. Not much less positive, but indeed, some doubt has crept in.
Opinion Ape Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:08 am

:-o Wow. You guys made this awfully complicated. :-o

If say.....Shawn Green and Brandon Webb are free agents, then it's a shallow league.

If you are just trying to find someone who actually gets playing time, then it's a deep league.

Hopefully, that makes it a little more clear. :-D

Oh, and Welcome to the Cafe' Opinion Ape. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:24 am

Ok I'm wrong and ape is right - Green's sorry ass sits on the bench in a shallow league - I got confused (but it makes more sense the other way around). No more answering stupid questions for me.

btw ape - where does the "cry your pardon" come from. Are you a fan of the Gunslinger/Dark Tower? because that's the only place that I've heard that one before.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers