Adam Dunn haters...Where are you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adam Dunn haters...Where are you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Apollo » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:35 pm

Exactly--Dunn was drafted long after the .300/30 guys. For where he was picked he's a great value with what he's been doing.

What's important, though, is what a streak hiter he is. Like someone said, he's hit over .300 for the last four weeks, and before that he was terrible. So if you're in a daily transaction league and have anyone at all to platoon him with, he's gold. You just ride the hot streaks and then when he gets cold, you bench him until he hits his next homer and put him back in. If you play him right, instead of a .270/49 hitter, you'll have a .295/40 hitter (not counting the platoon guy's stats). And you drafted him in the 16th round. That's pretty good.

As for selling him high, I don't buy that. It's not like he's coming out of nowhere to play this well. He was always a prospect, and always expected to do even better than this. And he's only 24. He's not doing anything abnormal, he's only doing what he's long been expected to do. There's no reason to think he won't keep doing it.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:33 pm

wkelly91 wrote:Dunn was drafted on average in the 16th round, none of these guys was left.

Here's who was taken after Dunn:

Drew?
C.Wilson?
Burnitz?
Beltre?
D.Young?
Alou?
Mondesi?

Those are the best that was left....so I think you can see the .300-30 argument doesn't hold water. :,-(

Actually, Alou is a perfect example of the type of player I'm talking about and in fact, I did draft Alou over Dunn this year.

How about Jermaine Dye? Or J. D. Drew? Pat Burrell? Paul Konerko? Hideki Matsui?

The list goes on and on.

Myself personally, I tend to use my late round picks on speedsters and extra closers, so I've got power long wrapped up before the end of the draft. If I happen to feel the need for another power hitter, there's always an option out there. If not, then just watch the free agent pool because there's always a few names that show up. Steve Finley anyone?

All I'm getting at is that he's overhyped and does more harm than good. Maybe in a couple of years he will be a viable fantasy option, but for now, I won't sacrifice my average for whatever power he might supply.

Here's one for you. If Dunn is so valuable due to his power, regardless of the poor average, then why did he fall so far in the draft? Everyone is aware of what he's supposed to be able to do, and everyone is aware of the boy's power. Yet, he fell all the way to the 16th round on average in ESPN leagues? I guess there are quite a few owners who understand the batting average hit you take by owning him after all.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:58 pm

I like Dunn as much as anyone. But these threads are dumb and pointless. Is he hitting well, so what? Let him do this for a year before you get to excited and start posting stuff like "I told you so!" All this does is encourage someone that dislikes Dunn to post a bunch of crap when he starts to slump.

This is about as productive as people saying "Where are all the Jeter haters?" It does accomplish anything.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:08 pm

The forum is called FANTASY TALK :-[

Thats part of baseball, discussing, arguing, predicting, it's all in fun.

Lighten up :-o
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:19 pm

wkelly91 wrote:The forum is called FANTASY TALK :-[

I know what the forum is called, still doesn't change that this thread is pointless. Your not going to change anyones mind with the past he has had. He hasn't even played half this year yet. Talk about him after the year is done and he did well, if you want to prove anything.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:11 pm

The thing that gets overlooked, is Dunn is only 24. I wouldn't say he's done crap. All 3 seasons of a 800+ ops. His career oba is better then Ichiros. Sosa at age 24 was under Dunn. I have always liked him. He won't be a perennial 300 hitter, but neither was Sosa (career 278). I would gladly take 48 hrs, 100+ rbis with a soft average. Dunn walks alot, reducing his ab totals. Glaus in his 2 250 seasons earned $24 and $21. Dunn in his 249 season earned $20. Nothing wrong with a $20-$25 24 year old.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:13 pm

I agree with Mad and company. Those stats aren't impressive enough to be bragging. Especially in leagues that count K's like mine. :-o
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:42 am

HOOTIE wrote:I wouldn't say he's done crap.

I said squat, not crap Hootie. :-D Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:28 pm

hybrid wrote:
wkelly91 wrote:The forum is called FANTASY TALK :-[

I know what the forum is called, still doesn't change that this thread is pointless. Your not going to change anyones mind with the past he has had. He hasn't even played half this year yet. Talk about him after the year is done and he did well, if you want to prove anything.

I agree with you we will have to wait till years end for the verdict to come in.

I disagree with you that this thread is pointless. If your measure of any thread in the cafe is that you have to change peoples minds for it to be worthwhile....then many of the threads would have to end.

Why don't you start "Hybrids Fantasy Baseball Facts Only Cafe" :-b
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:05 pm

Not saying a thread has to change a persons mind. But what in your opinion was the purpose of this thread? It directly showed his numbers and called out the so called "dunn haters". To me it is trying to prove them wrong and that I see is the only thing the thread was trying to do.

Though that could just be my way of interpreting it and maybe I'm off base. If you want to spark some real good conversation about him, just wait till he had more success. Me calling it "pointless" more or less means nothing will really change. I think most everyone is aware how he is doing, his knock however has been inconsistency and avg. Which hasn't changed yet this year, though it has indeed improved.

Sorry if I came off as harsh, I just tend to get tired of the "where are the (blank) haters now?" threads, when there success hasn't come over a long enough period of time.

BTW a lot of threads here at the Cafe are pointless ;-)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers