Boston-LA-Toronto trade rumor swirling - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boston-LA-Toronto trade rumor swirling

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:15 am

Smizzy wrote:
nsulham wrote:If this is true (please let it be) then this is the exact thing The Trio needs to do. Don't sit on your hands and wait for this season to spiral down the tubes.

You know if the Yankees were in this spot George would be getting whatever big name player he could right now.

Thats funny how you almost had it....You mean if the Yankees got swept and thet had a glaring need ,george would do what had to be done to fix it....

Hilarious how you Sawx fans spin everything.

The Sox "Fix " it..... but george "buys" it :-t

Whatever dude. Not once did I say the Sox "fix" it but George "buys" it. If this trade went through, yes the Sox would be "buying". Hilarious how you Yankee fans automatically assume.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nmarq8 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:03 am

uh, does anyone else here realize that besides this year izturis absolutely sucks. on any descent hitting team he's an 8th batter in the lineup, depending on if the pitcher is mike hampton or randy wolf, so IMO the jays would get absolutely screwed. i know nomar really wants to play in front of his hometown, and as for the dodgers sort of replacing perez for kim in the rotation, that makes some sense considering the dodgers draw well with the asian crowd (i.e. nomo, ishii and park a few years back). i seriously doubt this deal going through, however.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:38 am

I keep hearing Delgado to the Dodgers. It doesn't hurt that Delgado's best friend, Green, plays there. Also not so sure they would give up Perez, he has been their best SP. If they give him away then their rotation will look pathetic. Weaver, Ishii, Lima, Nomo is basically done, Kim? That rotation would have no shot in the playoffs or to even reach the playoffs.

Dodgers have better depth in trading a OF (Roberts/Encarcion) away then a SP.
Last edited by hybrid on Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ramble2 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:38 am

I'm confused. Where would Delgado play in BOS? Aren't Millar and Ortiz already platooning at 1B? Would Millar be relegated to the OF (where he's been playing when Ortiz is at 1B), while Delgado and Ortiz play 1B/DH? Do they stick one of them at SS? (And how cool would that be! :-D )

Still, I could see it happen, as long as BOS is happy with Millar in the OF. I would guess that the rumor has the players moving to BOS and LA roughly correct, but blew it on the players moving to TOR. Izturis? Just because Nomar would take over at SS doesn't mean that TOR would want or take Izturis. Although who knows, he's decent defensively, but I've got to believe the deal would turn on the prospects TOR would get. KC did well in the Beltran deal (contra above opinion). Teahan and Wood will be solid MLB players, though I don't know much about Buck. TOR will get something in return for Delgado (E. Jackson, perhaps?).

But if this does happen, wow. Delgado in Boston? Boy would that make me happy!
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:49 am

ramble2 wrote:TOR will get something in return for Delgado (E. Jackson, perhaps?).

Dodgers won't give him up for Delgado. Jays don't have enough ground to ask for that much. They are not going to make the playoffs and Delgado is most likely gone next year anyways. Beltran didn't even get a top prospect, so I don't see how Delgado will. I can see the Dodgers trading some pitching prospect like Hanrahan or another lower pitching prospect in A ball, but not Edwin.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby swingaway » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:54 am

if it did happen ortiz would probably be moved with bellhorn for another middle infielder furcal perhaps or just ortiz for hairsotn or roberts :-? this rumor makes alot of sense.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:08 am

hybrid wrote:
ramble2 wrote:TOR will get something in return for Delgado (E. Jackson, perhaps?).

Dodgers won't give him up for Delgado. Jays don't have enough ground to ask for that much. They are not going to make the playoffs and Delgado is most likely gone next year anyways. Beltran didn't even get a top prospect, so I don't see how Delgado will. I can see the Dodgers trading some pitching prospect like Hanrahan or another lower pitching prospect in A ball, but not Edwin.

You could be right, but I still don't see why TOR gets involved in this trade. BOS wants to dump Kim, and, presumably, wants to move Nomar in exchange for either a SP that can step in right away or for a FA they feel they can sign. If Nomar and Kim go to LA, Odalis moves into BOS's rotation and Izturis is a defensive upgrade at SS (blasphemy maybe, but ...), if Izturis is involved in the trade at all. Where's TOR fit in?

Maybe Youkilis gets sent to TOR along with Izturis. Ricciardi is a Beane protege and would presumably be happy to stick Youkilis in at 1B as Delgado's replacement. Who knows, it's all speculation at this point, but maybe Youkilis is the unnamed player in this deal.

As for moving Ortiz, no way. I just don't see it. He's a relative bargain, leading the league in RBI, and seems to be a team player (any BOS fans want to verify this?). Why move him? Especially for a Hairston or Roberts? I'd be shocked.

And, just to throw fuel on the fire, does BOS pursue Delgado if they move Nomar to CHC? If they move Nomar, I think they have to at least make gestures towards Delgado to satisfy the home town. I'd love it if they have their eye on him and get him, it'd be great for my fantasy squad. All Delgado owners, concentrate real hard now, "Youkilis for Delgado, Youkilis for Delgado, ...".
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

my take

Postby FantasyBeast » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:28 am

I dont see Odalis going anywhere. What could happen though is

Toronto gets- Derek Lowe,prospect,Mota

LA gets - Nomar and Mendoza
Sox get- Delgado,Izturis

I would love them to get Odalis. Love it but I dont see the Dodgers giving him up. Sox are in market for a 1b and their defensive woes would be solved via Izturis. Adding a little speed aint a bad idea either.

Regardless,it looks like Nomar is gone and the Dodgers will be the leading candidates to obtain him given their lineup woes. I put Lowe in there because he is to be a free agent and I think the Sox are gonna look to make a wholesale change rather than just move Nomar. There are too many DHs on the team. I see a Millar likely to be moved,Nomar,Lowe,Williamson if healthy,and Mendoza.
Aint following no footsteps,Im making my own.

Eminem.
FantasyBeast
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: my take

Postby matmat » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:33 am

FantasyBeast wrote:
Toronto gets- Derek Lowe,prospect,Mota

LA gets - Nomar and Mendoza
Sox get- Delgado,Izturis

that is a terrible deal for the dodgers.
they give up a stud MR and their leadoff man of the future for a rentaplayer that will not help them that much.
also, unless his salary gets paid, toronto will not take on derek lowe...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jojo » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:42 am

hybrid wrote:

Delgado for Edwin Jackson or Greg Miller might turn out to be a pretty good trade for the Jays. Izturis can flat out field... with Delgado Millar will be delegated to pinch hit... imagine a lineup with Ortiz Ramirez Delgado... :-o
jojo
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers