Nomar Trouble... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomar Trouble...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BoSox4life » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:38 am

blankman wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:I truly feel bad for him. He has been the leader of that team for a long time and they talked about shipping him out in the offseason. Now he doesn't even look like he's accepted by his teammates.

TO ANYONE WHO WATCHED THE YES TELECAST:

Did you notice the announcers say something like, "Everyone is on the fence but Nomar, I wonder why." then I THOUGHT heard something like, "Well I wouldn't think the rest of the team would care, they're probly sayin we'll just win without you."

Now do not take my word because I wasn't completely listening but I thought I heard somebody say something like this and I looked up and saw Nomar alone on the bench. Anyone else hear something like this?

I wasn't listening closely, so I missed it. I here them say many times that Nomar hadn't moved from his seat and every time they zoomed in on him, he looked sad.

Francona was interviewed on NESN after the game and he talked about it.
In the 8th Nomar said he could go in for Crespo at short but then a little later in the inning Nomar told Francona he couldn't get loose (I'm guessing he couldn't get his ankle loose). So Francona decided to keep him on the bench...
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nomar Trouble...

Postby FantasyBeast » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:41 am

Nomar4prez wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:Watching the post-game on YES, Susan Waldman is reporting that the Sox clubhouse is very quiet with little huddles of players whispering to eachother.

She then brought up a point about Nomar not getting off the bench the whole night, even against Rivera who he is 6 for 15 lifetime against. I also thought I heard the announcers say something during the game when all the Red Sox were up on the fence and Nomar was sitting on the bench alone.

Is there trouble with Nomar? Could be on his way out? He doesn't look like he belongs, really at this point, as he did last year.

I hope not. He's been the heart of the Sox for so long, it'd be a shame for him to leave, especially on this low point.

He has been the best player but "Heart of the Sox"? Come on. John Valentin and Mo Vaughn were the heart of the Sox for years while he was younger and since Pedro has come,he and Varitek have been the heart of the team.
Aint following no footsteps,Im making my own.

Eminem.
FantasyBeast
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Shakes » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:05 am

I wanta see Nomar go to a place whewre he is enjoying himself again. Seeing him just sit on the bench when the rest of thesox were on the railings just shows me that he doesn't even care anymore.

I also readabout problems in the club house people not getting along. Heart of the team is chaning. Look at Ortiz crowd goes wild everytime he steps up to bat. Always smiling haveing a good time. At the sox game youkilis comes up to bt and all you hear in the stadium is YOU. Nomar is a great hitter but he is turning into a cancer by just not caring and getting not getting along with the other players.
I'm a better lover when your drunk.
Shakes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:10 am

Shakes wrote:I wanta see Nomar go to a place whewre he is enjoying himself again. Seeing him just sit on the bench when the rest of thesox were on the railings just shows me that he doesn't even care anymore.

I also readabout problems in the club house people not getting along. Heart of the team is chaning. Look at Ortiz crowd goes wild everytime he steps up to bat. Always smiling haveing a good time. At the sox game youkilis comes up to bt and all you hear in the stadium is YOU. Nomar is a great hitter but he is turning into a cancer by just not caring and getting not getting along with the other players.

I don't really see how you could blame him. I'd be pissed off if I led that team for years and they treated me like a second class citizen. Basically what the Sox did was say, "Hey Nomar, we liked you but we found somebody better....see ya," and then said, "Oh sorry Nomar, we couldn't find anybody, can you come back to play for us?"

I hope he gets traded to somewhere where he will be happy.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:23 am

Shakes wrote:I wanta see Nomar go to a place whewre he is enjoying himself again. Seeing him just sit on the bench when the rest of thesox were on the railings just shows me that he doesn't even care anymore.

Completly agree. He doesnt seem to care anymore. I can understand being upset about almost getting traded, but c'mon hes rediculous, its a business, he cant understand that. I'd like to see him traded.
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:39 am

Nomar was my favorite player on the Sox for some eight years--why wouldn't he be?

It pains me to say it, though, but he has to go. He's a cancer to the team. Sure, he might have reason to be upset, but so does Manny, and he's doing well.

Tough times. !+) :-[
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dannahann » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:54 pm

Look, the Sox tried REAL HARD to re-sign him and ensure he'd be the team's cornerstone well into the future. Nomar turned the Sox down...not the other way around. If it was a negotiating ploy that backfired...get over it. If he's STILL distraught(as some of you suggest) over them attempyting to get ARod ... AFTER Nomar told them he was likely going to test FA waters ... then it's time to cut bait. IMO the Sox gave him ample opportunity and incentive to sign, tried hard to reincorporate him in the team after the ARod deal broke down. Nomar's been the one pushing the issue. My guess is he's now sad because he was hoping to mope his way to LA via trade and maybe he heard the Cubs deal is likely to go down. Right now he's letting his teamates down by being all about #1...quit feeling sorry for Nomar...they didn't mistreat him...he's done it himself.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:05 pm

Folks, Boston is full of meathead fans. If something goes wrong, or a big deal doesn't go through, fans MUST put the blame on someone, anyone, who might remotely be responsible. Sox Nation is usually blindly manic and Nomar is feeling the brunt of our disdain.

When you're held in such high regard for a few years you have to stay in high regard or get buried. This of course is why Pedro and Manny get zinged every day by sports radio and Joe "Dudeguy" Beer. Nomar is finding out that an extended injury and a bad standing against the Yanks is enough to rile up the lynch mob. The man on the streets will say DUDE, HE FAKED IT and WHAT'S HE DOIN' ON DA BENCH?! No wonder he's unhappy.. he's been backstabbed by the fans.

Unless he starts putting up amazing results (no less than a 4 HR, .500 week) he's not going to win Sox Nation back. Leaving town is certainly the best thing for him, but probably not for us in the long term.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:33 pm

dannahann wrote:Look, the Sox tried REAL HARD to re-sign him and ensure he'd be the team's cornerstone well into the future. Nomar turned the Sox down...not the other way around. If it was a negotiating ploy that backfired...get over it. If he's STILL distraught(as some of you suggest) over them attempyting to get ARod ... AFTER Nomar told them he was likely going to test FA waters ... then it's time to cut bait. IMO the Sox gave him ample opportunity and incentive to sign, tried hard to reincorporate him in the team after the ARod deal broke down. Nomar's been the one pushing the issue. My guess is he's now sad because he was hoping to mope his way to LA via trade and maybe he heard the Cubs deal is likely to go down. Right now he's letting his teamates down by being all about #1...quit feeling sorry for Nomar...they didn't mistreat him...he's done it himself.

He's letting his teammates down? Hmmm...I wonder how he felt when Kevin Millar announced in front of the world that he wants A-Rod throwing to him on opening day. I bet Nomar really felt the support of his team then.

Give me a break. Nomar's not to blame for anything. If I recall correctly, Boston offered Nomar a contract that he didn't want because of the money. Not because he didn't want to be a Red Sock. Why should Nomar give his support to his teammates when they showed no support for him in the offseason? You Boston fans are ridiculous.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Melo255 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:59 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
dannahann wrote:Look, the Sox tried REAL HARD to re-sign him and ensure he'd be the team's cornerstone well into the future. Nomar turned the Sox down...not the other way around. If it was a negotiating ploy that backfired...get over it. If he's STILL distraught(as some of you suggest) over them attempyting to get ARod ... AFTER Nomar told them he was likely going to test FA waters ... then it's time to cut bait. IMO the Sox gave him ample opportunity and incentive to sign, tried hard to reincorporate him in the team after the ARod deal broke down. Nomar's been the one pushing the issue. My guess is he's now sad because he was hoping to mope his way to LA via trade and maybe he heard the Cubs deal is likely to go down. Right now he's letting his teamates down by being all about #1...quit feeling sorry for Nomar...they didn't mistreat him...he's done it himself.

He's letting his teammates down? Hmmm...I wonder how he felt when Kevin Millar announced in front of the world that he wants A-Rod throwing to him on opening day. I bet Nomar really felt the support of his team then.

Give me a break. Nomar's not to blame for anything. If I recall correctly, Boston offered Nomar a contract that he didn't want because of the money. Not because he didn't want to be a Red Sock. Why should Nomar give his support to his teammates when they showed no support for him in the offseason? You Boston fans are ridiculous.

AJ I usually respect your opinion but not on this. Boston fans are ridiculous? You can't believe that what you hear through ESPN is exactly what was said. In the actual interview with Millar he said he loved Nomar and that he was a great teammate it's just that anytime you have the oppurtunity to get arguably the best player in baseball you have to take it. I don't think anybody could disagree with him that A-Rod is one of the best players in recent memory and will probably go down as one of the all time greats. Nobody can blame Millar for what he said. He was right. He speaks his mind and he isn't afraid to put his foot in his mouth at any oppurtunity that presents itself unfortunately but his teammates still love him anyway. Do you speak to the Sox players on a regular basis? Are you in the clubhouse? Then how do you have any idea at all if the Sox players supported Nomar in the offseason? Nobody knows what most of the team said to him or didn't. Baseball is a business and the players have to know and understand that money rules this game. Nomar turned down a very large contract from the Red Sox and then became upset when they didn't offer him another one. Are the Red Sox wrong somehow if they see that they could spend the same money Nomar wants on other very good players where they need it more? After this season the Red Sox are essentially going to be 'rebuilding'. They are stuck with Manny and his contract thanks to the previous management but they don't have to bog down the future team by paying one player a LOT of money when they can spread it around. One other thing. Nomar is brittle. He's on the DL pretty often for a guy who is in such exceptional shape. Not many teams want to give anybody a long term huge contract when they have doubts if that player will not only perform well for the next few years but if he will perform at all for great stretches of time. I still love Nomar and wish him only the best but if he can't understand that the frequent doling out of huge contracts have changed in the last few years dramatically and he won't come way down from his demands then I wish him well when he is somewhere OTHER than Boston.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers