What's the best method to reduce total innings below maximum - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the best method to reduce total innings below maximum

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the best method to reduce total innings below maximum

Postby Longhorns76 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:48 pm

I am currently on pace to exceed my max innings pitched by 63.2 according to yahoo. I have pretty solid starters as of right now that usually go deep and produce wins. What should I do to reduce the innings so I don't run out at the end of the year?

BTW is this the correct forum? I really don't want anyone yelling at me. I'm a sensative guy :-o ;-D
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kaz » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:51 pm

MR's
"They invented the All-Star Game for Willie Mays." -Ted Williams
kaz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby perlick29 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:52 pm

maybe go to a 3 man rotation for a while. Trade your middle-back end pitchers, keeping your aces and let them pitch and use the other starters to upgrade your offense. I was 75 ip over at this point last year and I benched everyone but Halladay for 3 weeks straight to get back under.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:03 pm

Who are your pitchers? Say you have 6 good starters, start your stud(s) every time out, trade your back 1-2 starters and start the other ones only in great matchups.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby NZF » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:06 pm

Three options as I see it in this preferred order.

1. Be ultra conservative and start your guys only with great match ups for a few weeks until you come back into line with innings projected totals.

2. Trade one or two starters now for upgrades at other positions.

3. Keep going as you are and then start trading your pitching staff a few weeks before the trade deadline to improve your roster where needed.

63 innings over at this time actually isn't that much. If you use option 1 for a few weeks you will be suprised how quickly it will come down and you also have total control of your situation.

Using options 2 or 3 requires a fair amount of strategy and co-operation from other managers which is out of your control to a degree.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Longhorns76 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:25 pm

SP pitchers are:

Prior
Mulder
Pavano
Peavy
Pineiro
C Lee
Eaton

RP:
K rod
Smoltz
Cordero
Shingo

Will drop C Lee to make room for Peavy. I'm thinking I won't start Peavy right away. I'm going to go ultra conservative. Unfortunately, Pineiro is playing well, Eaton looks better, Peavy was solid to begin with, and Mulder and Pavano are just wicked. That leaves my biggest question mark being Prior. Who would have thought that? Is he a every other start canidate at this point? He looks good every other game it seems.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Longhorns76 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:34 pm

Thanks everyone to responding. I don't want this to turn into a "Who to start?" thread. I appreciate your help. ;-D
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:10 pm

If you're in a 1250 max IP league (and I'm fairly sure that's your limit based on the number of IP you're currently over with the starters you own)...I think you have to make a trade, and Prior is the guy to shop around. He's a prized commodity that will bring you a plus offensive player in return. But be sure to e-mail each member of your league that you're entertaining offers for him.

I believe this to be a far better maneuver than micro-managing. Trying to guess when frontline starters will be on or off is frustrating at best, and can be a disaster if you guess wrong. Aside from benching SP's at Coors, I simply do not sit my top starters. Bottom line is that if you're in a 1250 IP limit league, you just can't carry more than five SP's without having the IP limit become a major concern.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers