Ny and Boston, a rivalry? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ny and Boston, a rivalry?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby josebach » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:10 pm

Once and for all let's kill the Sox/Yankees rivalry topic that keeps coming up over and over again.

ri·val ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rvl)
n.
1) One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
2) One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.
Obsolete.
3) A companion or an associate in a particular duty.

I think everyone can agree (including the Yankees fans) that definition 1 perfectly describes the Sox/Yankee relationship, regardless as to who has been more successful in years past. Continuously stating that there isn't a rivalry only makes the Yankees fans look pompous and fuels the rest of the baseball world's animosity towards them.

Then again, that's probably what they want.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Baby Arm » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:25 pm

Its no doubt a rivalry, but I'm tired of the media trying to shove it down our throats every time they play.
Baby Arm
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:20 pm

Baby Arm wrote:Its no doubt a rivalry, but I'm tired of the media trying to shove it down our throats every time they play.

The media gives the public what it wants. Always has, always will. That's what boosts circulation and ratings. That's why the Coach K/Lakers talk will now dominate things till a decision is reached. It's the big story. It's going to seem to some that this is being "shoved down their throats." But that's the way it is with big stories. We (yes, I'm in the media) cover what the masses want, not what we necessarily want.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:28 pm

Red Sox-Yankees is the BIGGEST rivalry in all of sports. period. ;-)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:40 pm

Its a rivalry, because it grabs the attention of two cities more so than any other series and the games are played as if they are playoff games. Add in the Pedro-Zimmer/Posada/Jeter/Soriano/now Sheffield incidents (who hasn't he pissed off/hit) the feud between the Boss and Henry and the history between the clubs, Babe, Bucky, Boone.

Its pretty one sided :-D , but still a rivalry by definition
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:45 pm

there is NO question it is a rivalry......there is NO question it is one of the biggest rivalries in alllllll of sports. In my opinion it IS the biggest in baseball though i am admittedly biased,,,,,,Cubs/Cardinals and Dodgers/Giants certainly have an argument of being able to make that claim as well. ....has it been one sided? AbsoLUTELY ,,,, no question about it. For lack of a better term we have been, ARE and will continue to be "theeeeeeeeee yankees' bitch" until we beat them. Even though they have dominated to say it is not a rivalry is simply absurd. Ask your buddy who he would RATHER beat than the sox. Ask him who he would hate to lose to more than the bosox. The answer will be, HAS to be NOONE.

Just my opinion,

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Quaker » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:41 pm

In my opinion, it's one of the most, if not the most, overrated rivalry in sports. I'd take at least 5 college rivalries over it.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:21 pm

Quaker wrote:In my opinion, it's one of the most, if not the most, overrated rivalry in sports. I'd take at least 5 college rivalries over it.

Apparently you aren't watching this game right now. How much more intense can you get?
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers