J.D. Drew or Jermaine Dye? A race to the DL? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

J.D. Drew or Jermaine Dye? A race to the DL?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will implode first this year?

J.D. Drew
57%
Jermaine Dye
43%

Total votes : 21

J.D. Drew or Jermaine Dye? A race to the DL?

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:28 pm

Which one of these fragile overachievers will fall apart first?

I know this isn't much more than speculation, but I'm looking to unload one of them (that's right, I have both :-o ) and am wondering what people think.

Thanks for voting.
mikey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rookie » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:55 pm

It's hard to predict who will go DL first. But when both are healthy, Drew is the better player. Gotta love this guy- I draft him in late round and I think it's a nice steal. Hope he won't turn into J. DL. Drew again.. :-°
rookie Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:06 pm

rookie wrote:It's hard to predict who will go DL first. But when both are healthy, Drew is the better player. Gotta love this guy- I draft him in late round and I think it's a nice steal. Hope he won't turn into J. DL. Drew again.. :-°

Of course, we finally get rid of him and he tears it up for someone else. At least it's another division. :-° :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby hybrid » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:09 pm

Neither are overachievers. When healthy this two hitters are very good, as they are showing right now.

Also since when has Dye been fragile? I can see the claim that Drew is, but not Dye. He got hurt the end of 2002 and never was fully healthy till this year. Besides from that he has been healthy and producing good numbers.

Call me what you will, but I think both will play the whole year and end up with very nice numbers.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: J.D. Drew or Jermaine Dye? A race to the DL?

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:58 pm

mikey wrote:Which one of these fragile overachievers will fall apart first?

I know this isn't much more than speculation, but I'm looking to unload one of them (that's right, I have both :-o ) and am wondering what people think.

Thanks for voting.

I own both as well in my 18 team league and I am on the fence about what to do withD rew....as was stated Dye isnt an injury prone player..he was injured once and now he is over it.

Drew is in a new situation, a contract year, so I am thinking of risking it and keeping him, as he may hit 35 HR.

Also I think when we define a player as an injury risk, that is bull. Every player, outside of maybe Miguel Tejada right now has missed time over the years. EVERY player is an injury risk.

In that 18 teamer I mentioned, listen to the guys I drafted.....Bernie, Glaus, Sweeny, Oswalt, Mulder, Drew, Dye. SO far only 1 of them has burned me and that is Glaus...all the others I have either traded (Oswalt for Hudson) or have rode the entire way....and Drew, Mulder and Dye are catapulting my team.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:10 pm

These might just be semantics.

The label "overachiever" might carry a bad connotation, but it doesn't necessarily have to. I think it's probably safe to bet that neither Drew nor Dye were drafted very early in most drafts. The fact that they're producing consistent numbers for their owners suggests that they're overachieving. I never said they were bad players. But they certainly are producing well beyond people's expectations for them.

In terms of injuries, I'd say given recent history, Drew and Dye present a little more "injury risk" than the average player. Maybe the "injury prone" label is unfair to place on Dye, but the fact remains Dye missed 30-some game in 2002 and almost a 100 games last year.

That was a ballsy draft, kcbelieves. Good work.
mikey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:25 pm

Point taken, but I thought Dye and Drew could put up these numbers IF healthy. And for the moment they both are. Dye has always put up good numbers and Drew has always played well when he has been playing.

I know they were usually taken late, due to their recent issues. But they were very good value picks that late, with good potential. To me both have been consistent when healthy so I don't view that as overachieving.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers