Can Sweeney and Erstad keep the pace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can Sweeney and Erstad keep the pace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can Sweeney and Erstad keep the pace?

Postby warr1616 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:54 am

I have both these guys on my team and both are known to take huge dives in the second half. Should I be shopping these guys around now while their value is so high?
warr1616

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:04 pm

Hmm... Erstad's stats have dipped in the second half every year of his career, sometimes dramatically, sometimes just by a bit. It's hard to go against a streak like that. I think he'll still be solid, but his numbers should drop a little. If you can get a fair deal for him, dealing him seems to be the safe choice.

Sweeney's second-half struggles are a more recent phenomenon, and don't occur as consistently. I wouldn't worry too much about him. He seems to be in good shape; his recent injury was the result of being hit by a pitch, not being in poor shape. Any player can have a poor second half regardless of their history, but I don't see any indications that the odds of this are greater for Sweeney than for other players.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby papasmurf » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:30 pm

i'm with arlo on this one. i'd look to trade erstad and keep sweeney. sweeney's solid. i recently traded erstad and frank thomas for cameron and boone, thinking that cameron's got to bring his average up. plus, i liked what boone and cameron both brought to the table in terms on homers and stolen bases. good luck.
papasmurf

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers