Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Josh Beckett?

Postby ntremain23 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:24 am

Thoughts please?
N Tremain
ntremain23

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:42 am

I'm amazed that Beckett has gone from must-have to mere afterthought in such a short time for so many fantasy owners. He's still one of the best young pitchers around. Now would be a good time to buy low. For this year, I wouldn't expect all that much - even if his blister trouble is behind him (he had no problems in his last rehab start and should be back in the bigs soon), he still has quite a bit to learn. He should be good, especially in leagues where k's count, but not awe-inspiring quite yet. In keeper leagues, grab him if you can, and don't let go.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dannahann » Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:04 am

I hear he's scheduled to start the Marlins game on Teusday the 16th, with one more rehab start in between (Sat. I think).

I'm still very impressed with Beckett. I've held onto to him from the get-go in all 3 of my leagues, only one of which is a keeper league.

Looking on the bright side, even though the blister has kept him from snapping off that nasty curve this season, he's still been able to mow down big leaguers. I watched him 1 hit the D-Backs for 5 innings without throwing a single curve earlier, BUT when they FINALLY figured out it was only going to be fastballs they hit 3 consecutive HR's in the 6th. If (fingers crossed) the blister is truely behind him this time, he could still dominate like the end of last season. On the downside, losing Floyd's bat sure doesn't help his run support and who knows about the blister (it can't help to pitch in hot/humid So. Fla).
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby papasmurf » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:43 pm

i still like beckett and expect him to be a solid pitcher, if not spectacular, for the rest of the season. in fact, i just offered a trade of jd drew for beckett today. i think he's a prime buy low candidate right now.
papasmurf

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:54 pm

Drew for Beckett is interesting, considering the uncertainties surrounding both those players. I agree that Beckett should have more value over the rest of the season, but this is a tough one to predict.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers