Gagne is the Man in LA... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne is the Man in LA...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gagne is the Man in LA...

Postby johnpatterson17 » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:53 pm

I admit I was even wondering why the Dodgers were paying "set-up" money t o Matt Herges this year. Once I saw how Eric Gagne was throwing better than anybody this Spring (and blowing 97 on the gun) I realized why the Dodgers could bounce Herges off the team.

One reason, they picked up Quantrill. Paul is better than Matt. Period. Two...the Dodgers want more Righty/Lefty balance in their starting rotation. For this reason, Odalis Perez will be given the 5th starter role. Herges had his heart set on closing in LA. Realisticly, he blew too many leads last year. He'd come in with a one-to two run lead and up as many runs only to watch LA put up another score and put him in position to get a "W".

Eric Gagne will be the closer for the Dodgers. I wish Jim Tracy would stop being such a wimp about it. If you are going to say all along that Gagne is in "a battle" for the fifth spot, how many fewer runs than ZERO does he need to allow to earn the spot? On the same token, Tracy needs to stop being so misleading to his team and announce Gagne as the closer, Quantrill as the prime set-up man and please lose this whole "committee" nonsense. By doing all this, Tracy is losing respect with the people that first gave it to him.
johnpatterson17
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:36 pm

this sounds like a dissapointed fantasy football owner whose RB just got part of a RB-committee used more and more...

and now its baseball!

but of coz, you are right, the worst thing you could do is not naming a closer...I doubted, too, that Herges would be the man, but I doubt now after the trade, too, that Gagne will be consistent enough to be a top closer! I think the Dodgers either may have to trade for one during the season to stay a contender, or they will try different guys in desperation of finding the right one!
Last edited by Dan on Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Maitre D'
Maitre D'

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:23 pm

Thanks for the heads-up! You're right, the writing was on the wall here for a while. I admit I was surprised that this situation ended with a trade, though - Herges was a clubhouse leader, which the Dodgers had said they valued. Still, this actually looks like a good move for both teams.

Dan's right on the money in comparing this scenario with runningbacks by committee of fantasy football infamy; this is the sort of thing that will drive some owners up the wall, and others to the free agent pool. I also agree that Strickland will probably hold off Herges, assuming he manges to get lefties out occasionally. That might be a big if, though.

I'm a bit more optimistic about Gagne, though. We've known for a while that he has great stuff, and this situation might be just what he needs to reach his potential.

As to Tracy, there's not much to add to what johnpatterson said, except that the front office should also be included in the criticism.

Anyway, interesting situation, and one to keep an eye on in the next couple days, since none of this is etched in stone yet. Thanks!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petben » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:13 pm

Like it matters! The Dodgers are looking far worse this year than last. Their lineup lost way too much in that Shef deal, the pitching staff is overrated, and now they look to be battling CO for last in the NLWest.
petben
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:37 pm

Well, it may not have an impact on who's standing on the mound when the final out of the world series is made, but in terms of fantasy impact, I'd say this is pretty big news. Even if the Dodgers do decide to go the closer-by-committee route, any new source of saves has fantasy value in all but the shallowest leagues. Besides, a bad team won't produce significantly fewer save opportunities than a good one.

Yeah, the Sheffield deal hurt. But don't count the Padres out for last in the West, either...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Gagne is the Man in LA...

Postby Danks81 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:25 am

johnpatterson17 wrote:I admit I was even wondering why the Dodgers were paying "set-up" money t o Matt Herges this year. Once I saw how Eric Gagne was throwing better than anybody this Spring (and blowing 97 on the gun) I realized why the Dodgers could bounce Herges off the team.

One reason, they picked up Quantrill. Paul is better than Matt. Period. Two...the Dodgers want more Righty/Lefty balance in their starting rotation. For this reason, Odalis Perez will be given the 5th starter role. Herges had his heart set on closing in LA. Realisticly, he blew too many leads last year. He'd come in with a one-to two run lead and up as many runs only to watch LA put up another score and put him in position to get a "W".

Eric Gagne will be the closer for the Dodgers. I wish Jim Tracy would stop being such a wimp about it. If you are going to say all along that Gagne is in "a battle" for the fifth spot, how many fewer runs than ZERO does he need to allow to earn the spot? On the same token, Tracy needs to stop being so misleading to his team and announce Gagne as the closer, Quantrill as the prime set-up man and please lose this whole "committee" nonsense. By doing all this, Tracy is losing respect with the people that first gave it to him.

Let's give this 1 post member an award for his great foresight.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers