Who are the Sox going to get? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the Sox going to get?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:52 pm

Sox need a 5th starter. If Kim was what we thought he was going to be, we wouldn't have this problem. I think we will swing a deal for a 5th starter. Maybe Odalis, but I think it will be someone we're not thinking off. We don't need another Cy Young candidate, we just need someone who can keep us in games.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:13 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Sox need a 5th starter. If Kim was what we thought he was going to be, we wouldn't have this problem. I think we will swing a deal for a 5th starter. Maybe Odalis, but I think it will be someone we're not thinking off. We don't need another Cy Young candidate, we just need someone who can keep us in games.

they could do a 3 way trade... Trade damon and Millar to the Dodgers... Dodgers trade Perez and Ventura to the Sox, then they trade Green and minors to the Braves and the Braves trade A. Jones to the Sox and trade Ortiz and Drew to the Dodgers

bet that sounds crazy
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:16 pm

eftda wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:Sox need a 5th starter. If Kim was what we thought he was going to be, we wouldn't have this problem. I think we will swing a deal for a 5th starter. Maybe Odalis, but I think it will be someone we're not thinking off. We don't need another Cy Young candidate, we just need someone who can keep us in games.

they could do a 3 way trade... Trade damon and Millar to the Dodgers... Dodgers trade Perez and Ventura to the Sox, then they trade Green and minors to the Braves and the Braves trade A. Jones to the Sox and trade Ortiz and Drew to the Dodgers

bet that sounds crazy

8-o Whoa. Too much information. :-b
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:19 pm

i agree with witcha, hat. but the thing is that a lot of guys are having their FA seasons (and still not doing well) and theres Nomah and Nixon coming off the DL. theres more uncertainty than last year. it'll also take some time for the team chemistry to get up to what it was last year.

anyways, talkin' about trades i think getting a starter becomes very important with Lowe having a subpar season and Schilling's injury worries. it would also be good for the future. as its likely that the Sox are gonna be unable to sign both Pedro and Lowe. BYK looks like hes our Jeff Weaver, although not as widely hated. hes in Pawtcuket right now. the highest hes ever touched is 90 and that was only for one game. he seems to be settling at around the mid 80's in most of his appearances which is the reason hes not up in the majors despite posting some pretty good numbers in AAA. the Sox would love for a team to fall for his better bumbers and to deal him away if the right offer came along. right now, i think Livian would be the best guy for them to go out and get, but the Expos want him to be their "ace" next season and even if we do get him, its gonna take a lot. he might prove to be too expensive and by far the hardest pitcher to acquire. Moyer is a more realistic option despite the Bavasi publicly saying that hes untoiuchable. but ive heard that the M's wanna throw in Olerud in the trade which is something im totally against. both Glavine and Leiter are also good realistic options if the Mets fall out. Trachsel is also another option but the Mets have traditionally asked too much for him (they wanted Nixon last year.. lol). anyways it might be too late before they admit that they're outta the race. kinda the same with Russ Ortiz. another name out there for both the evil empire and the socks is Jason jennings...

and as for 1B or even a better bat in general, that the Sox might and prolly will try to make a move there but Sweeney and Delgado will be too expensive for them. Sweeney himself deosnt wanna move and the Sox might not wanna take on his contract for next season. Delgado, is the bigger bat and might be more of a realistic option cos hes a FA next year and the Sox will likely let him go if they can acquire him. it all depends on what Riccardi asks of Theo.. there are other guys like Spezio and Green whom their teams would love to get rid of, but they arent big upgrades over what the Sox currently have. however, my fave option here is a guy by the name of Nick Johnson. :-D methinks acquiring him'll be an awesome way to piss off the boss. }:-) I am sure he would like to show up his old team, that plus his great defensive skills and his familiarity to playing in the big markets in the AL East, he would be an investment in the future as well as this season. perfect. :-D

As for guys who could be traded away, BYK looks like hes our Jeff Weaver, although not as widely hated. they'll always prolly be that mental factor from now on. hes in Pawtcuket right now. the highest hes ever touched is 90 and that was only for one game. he seems to be settling at around the mid 80's in most of his appearances which is the reason hes not up in the majors despite posting some pretty good numbers in AAA. hes not a good bet to come back reliebly to the majors. the Sox will also try to use Youkilis, Shouppach for bait etc. as they have a MUCH deeper farm system than a large number of contending teams, including the Yankees. ;-)

also i dunno how much substance there is to this but acquiring Leskanic kinda made some people think that one of the relievers might on the move if the right offer came along. this might be more feasible if the Sox can acquire a starter (which i think they HAVE TO) so that Bronson Arroyo can move back in to the pen where hes better off according to most scouts and people who've seen him pitch:-°
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:21 pm

eftda, the problem with that deal is that the Braves are not yet ready to accept their defeat in the NL East. :-° :-) .. even if they are, they wont do this kinda deal cos their fan base would get pissed off. if such a deal were to take place, it'd be very deep into the season provided the Braves do extremely miserably from now on.
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:23 pm

thetongueofire wrote:eftda, the problem with that deal is that the Braves are not yet ready to accept their defeat in the NL East. :-° :-) .. even if they are, they wont do this kinda deal cos their fan base would get pissed off. if such a deal were to take place, it'd be very deep into the season provided the Braves do extremely miserably from now on.

I just talked to a buddy, and he brought to mind Greens COntract... its to high so it wont happen :,-(
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:30 pm

eftda wrote:

bet that sounds crazy

as a closet dodger fan... no f^&*@#$ way!!!!!
damon, millar, ortiz and drew?!?!?! who the hell wants that? eeek. I'd much rather have odalis, ventura and green...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:31 pm

eftda wrote:I just talked to a buddy, and he brought to mind Greens COntract... its to high so it wont happen :,-(

i forgot about that -- the dodgers can only rival the mets when it comes to spending futility.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:33 pm

matmat wrote:
eftda wrote:I just talked to a buddy, and he brought to mind Greens COntract... its to high so it wont happen :,-(

i forgot about that -- the dodgers can only rival the mets when it comes to spending futility.

Mo Vaughn :-B
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:35 pm

No one wants Green. Can't see it happening.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers