Who are the Sox going to get? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the Sox going to get?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikemcj55 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:37 am

As a Sox fan, i keep my ear pretty close to the grindstone. There has been NO talk of trading Pedro (except forom bitter Sox fans who complain if anyone hits the ball off him). Theo believes this core group is talented enough to get to the World Series, and any trade made (if any) will not affect the core guys. There is no talk of getting rid of big contracts this year, cause everyone's contracts are up this year. This is their year to make a run at it, and they aren't really thinking about the future as much.
Any deals they make, IMO would be involving Shoppach and Youk, prospects who can give them the players needed for a stretch run THIS year. Where the team will be in a year is anyone's guess, but this is the Sox best shot in a long time, and it could be their last shot in a long time. Theo is thinking about the here and now first.
With that being said, Theo has said he doesn't think it is necessary to make a move yet. We'll wait to see if a tough series against the Yanks changes that
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:40 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:Call me a liar if you want but if you think I was legit worried after 2 weeks of the season then your wrong. Sure, it was frustrating. But was I worried? Hell no. It's not the first time the Sox have been in 1st place early in the year. But then the annual collapse always happens and the Yankees always heat up.

You can't expect me to say I was worried the Yankees would play like that all year.

And you can't expect me to say I think the Sox will play like this all year.

My point was that some of Yankee fans here were worried about their play at the time. I'll try to go back and find it but there was some worry. I never said it was long-term.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:43 am

Of course not. My only point was that alot of people were bashing the Yankee defense and easily giving the Red Sox the upper hand in that regard, and thus far it hasn't been close. I don't want to harp on this and hijack the thread so you can get back to talking about the Sox possible accquisitions.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:46 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:Of course not. My only point was that alot of people were bashing the Yankee defense and easily giving the Red Sox the upper hand in that regard, and thus far it hasn't been close. I don't want to harp on this and hijack the thread so you can get back to talking about the Sox possible accquisitions.

Not a problem. I just knew that I never said anything about the Yankees defense before so I didn't know where you got that from. Other people probably.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jojo » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:47 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:Of course not. My only point was that alot of people were bashing the Yankee defense and easily giving the Red Sox the upper hand in that regard, and thus far it hasn't been close. I don't want to harp on this and hijack the thread so you can get back to talking about the Sox possible accquisitions.

Nice sig you got there ajgnydc722... i wonder what happened to your Pettite/Clemens sig logo you had.... I take it they're no longer your favorite Cy Young candidates...
jojo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:49 am

jojo wrote:

Nice sig you got there ajgnydc722... i wonder what happened to your Pettite/Clemens sig logo you had.... I take it they're no longer your favorite Cy Young candidates...

Excuse me? This has been about the 3rd thread I've seen today where you've said something idiotic like that. If you are trying to imply that I'm a frontrunner or something like that, then believe whatever you want. I have higher standards than to worry about what you think I am. I'm a Yankee fan and been one my whole life. Take whatever you want from that and stop acting like a fool around these forums.

I also never had a Pettitte/Clemens sig so get your facts straight.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:52 am

Alright boys, let's get this thread back to where it belongs, which is who the Sox are going to acquire.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:03 pm

I read a rumor that the Sox might be going after Frank Catalanotto. [sigh] Where's the whoop-dee-doo emoticon?
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby nsulham » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:07 pm

Yeah they also just signed Pedro Astacio to a minor-league deal....whooohooo!!!
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:34 pm

They ought to come out here to Las Vegas and get Dick Williams out of retirement. Or at least someone who can kick a little mental ass.

This Red Sox team is not mentally sharp, and that is their single biggest problem. I blame the manager. Francona is far too laid back for my liking, and I believe the lackadaisacal and sloppy defense is an offshoot of his almost casual attitude. I'm not saying that a manager has to go ballistic every day to get results, but an occasional tantrum by the skipper can work wonders. In other words, if Lou Piniella were managing this team, I'm positive we'd be seeing different results right now.

I didn't like this hire when they made it, and the fact is that while Francona may be a fine coach (pal) he's not a good manager. He wasn't in Philly, and he isn't in Boston. My bottom line is that the team is good enough right now to challenge for a championship. Certainly getting another player or two can further help, but there's too much talent on this roster right now to accept their horrendous fundamental play as acceptable.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers