Who are the Sox going to get? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the Sox going to get?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who are the Sox going to get?

Postby nsulham » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:17 am

Yes in typical Sox fan fashion, I'm pressing the panic button early and want to speculate on who they're going to get.

Before I would have said a SP first and foremost but after last night, I'm leaning towards a 1B. Millar just ain't getting it done over there but then again, the whole team is booting everything lately.

I'd love to see them get Delgado or even Sweeney if the prices are right. As for pitching, Unit reunited with Schilling would be heavenly (although highly doubtful), or Odalis Perez if the Dodgers fall out of it.

I still think they can win the next two games in NY (Lieber? Halsey?) but if they keep playing defense like last night, ugh.

It's all about making the playoffs, doesn't matter if it's division or wildcard. All they got to do is get there (which I know right now isn't even a lock). But in a short series, I still like Schilling and Pedro against anyone, Yankees included.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:20 am

I agree that Delgado would be a nice fit...however, I doubt Toronto would trade him intra-division.

They could definitely use a 1B though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby nsulham » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:25 am

slomo007 wrote:I agree that Delgado would be a nice fit...however, I doubt Toronto would trade him intra-division.

They could definitely use a 1B though.

Somewhat agree slo. Delgado probably ends up in LA but Ricciardi and Theo are pretty good buds. I know J.P. would still want to make out well in the deal but I doubt he'd hold Theo over a barrel.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GucciBaseballs » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:26 am

They better do it fast though cuz my Yankees are pulling away.

Plus this may be their last year of having a good shot with all their guys becoming free agents.
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:28 am

This may sound nuts, but is there any chance of the Sox trading Pedro in exchange for a decent SP that they know they can sign for an extended contract?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:28 am

Not to change the subject at hand, but I find it funny that everyone was bashing the Yankees defense before the season while the Red Sox have commited nearly 60 unearned runs and are 2nd in errors I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). I remember having some discussions pre-season on whether Jeter or Nomar was better defensively and while Nomar has been hideous, Jeter has played very well.

Sorry to get off track.

I don't see Delgado going to Boston, as slomo said. Sweeney probably won't be headed out of KC IMO either. It's difficult to say who they'd go after. Odalis is a possibility that I can see happening.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:29 am

GucciBaseballs wrote:They better do it fast though cuz my Yankees are pulling away.

Plus this may be their last year of having a good shot with all their guys becoming free agents.

They can't worry about what the Yankees are doing. Would it be nice to pass them and win the East? Sure. But if they continue to worry about what NY is doing, they'll get passed for the Wild Card and be out of it altogether.

Worry about NY in October and focus on getting to the playoffs in the regular season.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:33 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:Not to change the subject at hand, but I find it funny that everyone was bashing the Yankees defense before the season while the Red Sox have commited nearly 60 unearned runs and are 2nd in errors I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). I remember having some discussions pre-season on whether Jeter or Nomar was better defensively and while Nomar has been hideous, Jeter has played very well.

Sorry to get off track.

I don't see Delgado going to Boston, as slomo said. Sweeney probably won't be headed out of KC IMO either. It's difficult to say who they'd go after. Odalis is a possibility that I can see happening.

I also find it funny that the shoe is on the other foot now from April. I remember back then you Yankee fans were legit worried. Now us Sox fans are (although we're naturally paranoid). I also remember someone, can't remember who, saying the pitching matchups were in NY's favor (particularly Brown vs. Arroyo) and they wouldn't get swept. What happened? Sweep.

Now, it's the Sox who have the favorable pitching matchup the rest of the series including what should be one no-brainer (Pedro vs. Halsey).

We saw with Brown vs. Arroyo what happened when people automatically gave the favorite the win.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BoSox4life » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:34 am

I dunno...Pedro just stated last week that he wants to finish his career in Boston and the only way he won't is if the managment doesn't want him. It's a very up in the air situation...It will be very interesting to see how it plays out. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Nomar was shipped out...IMO he still looks bitter over the Arod deal. If you listen to him in interviews he's just not the same ol Nomar. :,-( Who knows what the hell is going to happen...guess we will see soon enough.
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:35 am

Call me a liar if you want but if you think I was legit worried after 2 weeks of the season then your wrong. Sure, it was frustrating. But was I worried? Hell no. It's not the first time the Sox have been in 1st place early in the year. But then the annual collapse always happens and the Yankees always heat up.

You can't expect me to say I was worried the Yankees would play like that all year.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers