why is noone talking about David Bell? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

why is noone talking about David Bell?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

why is noone talking about David Bell?

Postby Zen Boy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:55 am

There is one discussion here . . .

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... light=bell

. . . but it's in a much more remote forum.

This hot streak he's on seems to warrant some discussion, especially since he's probably a free agent in many leagues. I want to say he'll go back to being mediocre-at-best, but he did hit 20 hrs a couple years ago so who knows maybe a career year in this stacked Phillies lineup isn't too far fetched?
Zen Boy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:56 am

I'm going to give him one more game tonight before I go after him...he is a FA in my 12 team league but I'm still not a believer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby stumpak » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:39 pm

I have a CI hole with Casey out this week, but I took a chance on Helms playing at Coors instead of Bell. So far, not working--Helms was 0/4 last night.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WhiteHot » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:02 pm

He was still FA in my 13 team league with 17 starting bats!

So I grabbed him.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:39 pm

He's had a long, bad career as a hitter. Doesn't hit for average, doesn't hit for power, doesn't have any speed, and there is always the chance Utley will return to the starting lineup in which case him or Polanco would be on the bench.

He had a good May but I wouldn't start him in anything but a large NL only league.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:47 pm

I have Hillenbrand on 3B while Chavez is out. I'm still wondering whether to grab him or not. :-?
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:19 pm

LBJackal wrote:He's had a long, bad career as a hitter. Doesn't hit for average, doesn't hit for power, doesn't have any speed, and there is always the chance Utley will return to the starting lineup in which case him or Polanco would be on the bench.

Jackal, you omitted the fact that Bell has always been a clutch hitter. He could really help Philly stay atop the NL Central (as he helped the Giants on their road to the World Series in 2002) because he gets big hits.

Barring a horrible slump, I would be very surprised to see Bell or Polanco get benched in favor of Utley this season. Even when Utley was hitting and Bell and Polanco were not earlier this season, Utley still got a ticket to the minors.

Due to the facts that Bell plays in a stacked lineup, offensive park and gets big hits, I feel that he is a worthy starter if you are desperate in deep mixed leagues as well. However this week has been a fluke for David, he will not have a hot streak that compares to the tear that he has put upon the Expos pitching staff these last few days for the remainder of the season.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby WhiteHot » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:30 pm

LBJackal wrote:He's had a long, bad career as a hitter. Doesn't hit for average, doesn't hit for power, doesn't have any speed, and there is always the chance Utley will return to the starting lineup in which case him or Polanco would be on the bench.

He had a good May but I wouldn't start him in anything but a large NL only league.

What? How could Utley replace him? Utley plays 2B and a little 1B and has never played 3B.

David Bell is the starting 3B. The backup 3B, Perez, has only had 29 plate appearances at 3B this year, while Bell has 275+. I don't know where you are getting your information that Utley will replace Bell.
Last edited by WhiteHot on Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:31 pm

shortsavage wrote:

Jackal, you omitted the fact that Bell has always been a clutch hitter.

Oh no. :-X
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:05 pm

Hehe, something gives me the feeling that Jackal has taken the task of challenging the word clutch in recent times.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers