Bonds BB - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds BB

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bonds BB

Postby BillyMafia » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:20 am

I'm not a Bonds fan or owner but I really don't see how baseball can be much fun for him being walked so much. It might help the team win but he sure takes it well. I think most would really start getting frustrated (outwardly).
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:28 am

I think walks are the least of Bonds' current and future problems. :-]
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:26 pm

hes going to break the All-Time walk record soon.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:32 pm

Last night I saw Barry get into his car with his family -- he was joking around, and having a good time...and this is after about 15,000 Dodger fans in the bleacher section were flipping him off, and yelling at him nonstop for 9 innings everytime he went out there. While the guy may be an a**hole, he sure handles his position with relative ease. You've gotta give him that.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:32 pm

on pace for 238 for the whole season.. well over the his own all-time record. :-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Irish » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:37 pm

Yeah, sorry, but I'm not feeling bad for anyone that can do whatever he wants whenever he wants and get anything he wants. He gets walked alot, boo hoo, if he wants to pay me to take balls for him then I'll be sitting by the phone. ;-D
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:32 pm

If he would lose the armor and use reasonably sized protective equipment, then he just might get pitched to a little more. Just a thought. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:30 pm

Madison wrote:If he would lose the armor and use reasonably sized protective equipment, then he just might get pitched to a little more. Just a thought. ;-)

Not trying to be argumentative(is that even a word?), but why would that make teams pitch to him? Inside or outside, there's a good chance that, if it's a strike, its gonna be hit a long way.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:05 am

Nomar4prez wrote:
Madison wrote:If he would lose the armor and use reasonably sized protective equipment, then he just might get pitched to a little more. Just a thought. ;-)

Not trying to be argumentative(is that even a word?), but why would that make teams pitch to him? Inside or outside, there's a good chance that, if it's a strike, its gonna be hit a long way.

Without the armor he would have to back off the plate a little. Pretty easy to crowd the plate and cut half the strike zone off when you know you cannot get hurt. By reducing the armor to a reasonable size, he would not crowd the plate which would increase the strike zone in which the pitcher could hit and make him more hesitant to cut off that inside corner. I've seen pitches that were very close to strikes actually hit Bonds. Everyone has the same strike zone except Barry because MLB allows him to wear the oversized armor and he cuts the strike zone in half with it. Somone like Soriano crowds the plate, but he does not dig in because he would actually have to get out of the way of an inside pitch because it could injure him. Not the case with Barry, and just doesn't seem right to me that MLB allows it to happen.

Yes, argumentative is a word. ;-) We're just discussing it though, so no problems here. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:21 am

Madison wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:

Without the armor he would have to back off the plate a little. Pretty easy to crowd the plate and cut half the strike zone off when you know you cannot get hurt. By reducing the armor to a reasonable size, he would not crowd the plate which would increase the strike zone in which the pitcher could hit and make him more hesitant to cut off that inside corner. I've seen pitches that were very close to strikes actually hit Bonds. Everyone has the same strike zone except Barry because MLB allows him to wear the oversized armor and he cuts the strike zone in half with it. Somone like Soriano crowds the plate, but he does not dig in because he would actually have to get out of the way of an inside pitch because it could injure him. Not the case with Barry, and just doesn't seem right to me that MLB allows it to happen.

Yes, argumentative is a word. ;-) We're just discussing it though, so no problems here. :-)

Mad, I agree completely. Sadly, MLB seems too afraid of Bonds to say/do anything about it. He'd probably accuse them of being racist if they did anything. ;-)
(if anyone took offense to that comment, please recognize that it was a joke, making light of his statement that Boston is too racist, and it was not intended to offend anyone)

And again argumentative is a word ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers