Make a Run or run for cover? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Make a Run or run for cover?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Make a Run or run for cover?

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:59 am

im at 44 leader is at 64 in a 5x5 9 team roto league. its also a keeper where last year we kept 9 players and 3 rookies and this year we are keeping 7 players and 2 guys who were rookies this year or last year.

question is should i make moves to make a run at it this year or try to rebuild for next year, and if so how should i go about doing so. any help is greatly appreciated i am really at a loss about what to do with this team. p.s. i already traded pedro for beckett about 2 weeks ago so i sort of already made a move leading towards next season. and the league is a good one which will likely last at least 5 more years.

C. Johnson 
1B D. Ortiz 
2B J. Kent 
3B V. Castilla 
SS A. Everett
CI P. Nevin
MI J. Hairston Jr.
OF B. Abreu 
OF C. Floyd 
OF C. Lee 
OF M. Lawton 
OF C. Beltrán 
Util P. Wilson
Util B. Roberts
BN M. Barrett
BN M. Bradley
BN C. Blake 
DL J. González
DL C. Delgado

SP J. Santana 
SP K. Escobar 
SP B. Webb 
SP D. Graves 
P C. Lee 
P J. Smoltz 
P R. Halladay
P O. Pérez
P D. Brazelton 
BN G. Meche
BN E. Jackson
DL J. Beckett

what trades should i make.....i.e. what players should i target if im gunning for this season or for next year and future years. thanks for any help.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:25 am

ok i realize this is a keeper question and a long/tough one but anything you could throw out advice wise would be great.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby John Bonzo » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:30 am

Poeple have come back from 20 down at this point in the season, but it is pretty rare. If some catagories are really close and you could move up quickly, I wouldnt give up yet. However, if you are way behind in catagories, I may start looking towards next year.

If you decide to build for next year:

Do not trade Beltran. He is your main hitter to build your team with for years to come. I would definitely look to deal Kent...I think there is a good chance that he will retire after this year (those are the rumors around Houston at least). If you could deal Kent and someone like Graves for Soriano, that would be a great move i would think. Dealing Abreu while he is hot would be good in my opinion as well, especially if you could fill a shallow position like SS )(tejada maybe?).

As for pitching: Halladay, Santana, and Beckett should make a very good staff for years to come. You would be OK with dealing one of these guys if you wanted to get another stud hitter if you wanted.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:59 am

i could easily get tejada for abreu but im not 100% sure id want to i dont think abreu is just "hot" hes just a good 5 category player. what should i do about david ortiz, is he a keeper or should i look to package him and move up to helton or someone like that. same goes for delgado, im unsure what to do with him as well.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:17 am

anyone else got any good ideas for this squad?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:24 pm

I think Ortiz and Abreu are for real and you should keep them. Good advice up there about Kent though.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby paulman8 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:41 pm

I'd keep Abreu, but get rid of Ortiz and Smoltzy. Perhaps you could trade the 2 of them for Pujols??? I know that sounds like a "this year" trade, but it would be for the future. Unless Smoltz closes 57 games this season (which he's not on pace to do) his option for next year isnt picked up. This means that he will most likely be an unrestricted free agent. He has already stated that if he is not going to be able to stay in atlanta (probably wont unless the option comes into affect) he would much rather finish his career as a starter again. He wont be as effective in that role, so his value would be less. So I'd trade him this year too. So Smoltz, Ortiz, and Kent should be on your "to trade" list.
Seeing as the Braves have won 12 division titles in a row, does that mean that soon they are going to have to start making columns as well???

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74587
paulman8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thomasps3 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:15 pm

No way I would trade Ortiz. He is a top tier 1st baseman who is entering his prime power years. He just re-upped with the Bosox, and his swing is tailor made to Fenway park. He will continue to impress people, and I'd be willing to bet over the next 3 years, he'll average 35 HRs, 115 RBI, and .295 average. While those may not be Pujols numbers, he will allow you to solidify other positions.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby stumpak » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:15 pm

Abreu is more valuable than Tejada, even considering position scarcity. he is one of the most consistent performers year in and year out--Tejada can be as valuable, but he isn't always.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:35 pm

ok what about guys like carlos lee and carlos delgado.....what should i do with them.

also, most of the talk has been hitting based, what should i do with my pitchers?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team