Gammons slams Steinbrenner on BBTN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gammons slams Steinbrenner on BBTN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:50 am

Alex, why are you posting these? Because Gammons was wrong? He's often wrong. He's often right, too.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:32 pm

People always complain about the Sox and Yankees, but don't forget about Anaheim. They are right up there with the Sox in payroll. If they got RJ, they might even surpass the Sox next season.

I also still don't understand why, as a fan of the team with the second highest payroll, I can't complain about the Yankees. Does this exclude me from complaining about them? I'm a baseball fan first, and I wish the competitive field was closer. We know atleast 4 teams before the season that aren't going to be contending for anything. That never happens in basketball, or football. I still love baseball, and will continue to watch it, but I hope in the next 10 years, payrolls for teams can begin to come closer to each other, and we don't have the same teams the favorites every year. I mean people are surprised the Yankees haven't won since 2000!!!!!!!! That's only 4 years ago!!
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:36 pm

Im glad the Tribune company hasnt unleashed their monetary might on the baseball world, or everyone would be complaining about the Cubs and not the Yankees. I dont think RJ is going to the Yankees. The Dbacks will want top notch prospects, something that the Yankees cant give them.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby thehat » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:39 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:Yeah it definately could. Good place for Randy to get in on the pennant race, close to home, and the team would definately have interest in acquiring him. However if Gammons thinks that the Yankees are just gunna sit back and let Anaheim take Randy because they have no farm system, then he's an idiot. The Yankees will give Arizona money for Randy if they have to, to keep him away from a rival.

They cannot give 'Zona more than $1 million. Those are the rules, and even George has to abide by them. So the money is not much of an issue here. Couple that with RJ's stated distaste for the East Coast (which kayos Boston as well), plus Colangelo's dislike for Steinbrenner, and the bottom line is fairly clear. Anything's possible, but RJ/Yankees is a real long shot. The Angels make the most sense to me. They have the money, they have the prospects, and RJ owns a home in SoCal.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:40 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:People always complain about the Sox and Yankees, but don't forget about Anaheim. They are right up there with the Sox in payroll. If they got RJ, they might even surpass the Sox next season.

I also still don't understand why, as a fan of the team with the second highest payroll, I can't complain about the Yankees. Does this exclude me from complaining about them? I'm a baseball fan first, and I wish the competitive field was closer. We know atleast 4 teams before the season that aren't going to be contending for anything. That never happens in basketball, or football. I still love baseball, and will continue to watch it, but I hope in the next 10 years, payrolls for teams can begin to come closer to each other, and we don't have the same teams the favorites every year. I mean people are surprised the Yankees haven't won since 2000!!!!!!!! That's only 4 years ago!!

Nobody should be allowed to complain about the Yankees. Complain about baseball because it still supports the things the Yankees do.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:41 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:Let me add by cap I also mean a MINIMUM cap so these joke owners that just milk their team for all it's money and pocket it won't be able to do so anymore, and will be forced to spend on their team thus making it better.

AGREE 100%!!!!
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Smizzy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:49 pm

bkgreencpa wrote:I heard the Geroge was in AZ yesterday to witness Randy Johnson's 4000K.

Maybe when Geroge comes back to NY he will have to buy an extra ticket.
Missing the yankee /Sox game???

Not a chance.
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Smizzy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:52 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:I also still don't understand why, as a fan of the team with the second highest payroll, I can't complain about the Yankees?

If you can't figure that out i can't help you.....
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:13 pm

thehat wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:Yeah it definately could. Good place for Randy to get in on the pennant race, close to home, and the team would definately have interest in acquiring him. However if Gammons thinks that the Yankees are just gunna sit back and let Anaheim take Randy because they have no farm system, then he's an idiot. The Yankees will give Arizona money for Randy if they have to, to keep him away from a rival.

They cannot give 'Zona more than $1 million. Those are the rules, and even George has to abide by them. So the money is not much of an issue here. Couple that with RJ's stated distaste for the East Coast (which kayos Boston as well), plus Colangelo's dislike for Steinbrenner, and the bottom line is fairly clear. Anything's possible, but RJ/Yankees is a real long shot. The Angels make the most sense to me. They have the money, they have the prospects, and RJ owns a home in SoCal.

They may not be able to give more than $1 million in cash, but that doesn't mean they can't "give" them more money. How? The way its always done, the Yankees take on RJ's salary and pay the salary of whoever they trade to Ariz and suddenly things are very different.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:34 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Im glad the Tribune company hasnt unleashed their monetary might on the baseball world, or everyone would be complaining about the Cubs and not the Yankees. I dont think RJ is going to the Yankees. The Dbacks will want top notch prospects, something that the Yankees cant give them.

Yeah we're all shaking in fear of that day. Tribune, like AOL Time Warner, are owned by share holders who not interested in trying to topple Steinbrenner. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers