Gammons slams Steinbrenner on BBTN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gammons slams Steinbrenner on BBTN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JamesBond007 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:27 am

slomo007 wrote:[

What if a team doesn't earn enough revenue to even meet the minimum cap? I think a maximum cap is the only answer personally. Maybe some combination of both, but the minimum would have to be set fairly low.


If these small market teams don't generate tons of revenue, why are there hundreds of people frothing at the mouth to buy them anytime one comes up for sale? Do millionaires enjoy losing money?

Like the previous poster said, don't hate the Yankees just because George puts his money where it counts-on the field.


My idea for a Salary cap is that there should be a % of all revenue used instead of a hard number for all teams, also with a minimum number. For instance, say that percentage is 50%. Your teams draws $200 million, your cap is $100 million. Another team draws only $150 million, their cap is $75 million. A 40% minimum ,or maybe 45%, would ensure that tightwad owners DO put their money on the field.
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 386
Joined: 17 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:30 am

JamesBond007 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:[

What if a team doesn't earn enough revenue to even meet the minimum cap? I think a maximum cap is the only answer personally. Maybe some combination of both, but the minimum would have to be set fairly low.


If these small market teams don't generate tons of revenue, why are there hundreds of people frothing at the mouth to buy them anytime one comes up for sale? Do millionaires enjoy losing money?

Like the previous poster said, don't hate the Yankees just because George puts his money where it counts-on the field.


My idea for a Salary cap is that there should be a % of all revenue used instead of a hard number for all teams, also with a minimum number. For instance, say that percentage is 50%. Your teams draws $200 million, your cap is $100 million. Another team draws only $150 million, their cap is $75 million. A 40% minimum ,or maybe 45%, would ensure that tightwad owners DO put their money on the field.


I'm not hating the Yankees, if you read my previous post you'll see I agreed with ajg. It's dumb to hate George for making his team the best possible under league rules...in the business world, that's looked up to.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:32 am

Believe me, these teams make enough revenue to be able to make their team better than they are, (see Royals, Brewers, Pirates, Expos, etc...)

The Yankees spend 20M on 1 player while owners spend twice that on their entire team. There is no way they don't make enough revenue to field a respectable team. They just prefer to put the money in their pockets instead of building up their product.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby bkgreencpa » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:44 am

I heard the Geroge was in AZ yesterday to witness Randy Johnson's 4000K.

Maybe when Geroge comes back to NY he will have to buy an extra ticket.
"Statistics are a lot like bikinis, they show a lot, but not everything."
bkgreencpa
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 175
Joined: 28 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New York

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:45 am

bkgreencpa wrote:I heard the Geroge was in AZ yesterday to witness Randy Johnson's 4000K.

Maybe when Geroge comes back to NY he will have to buy an extra ticket.


Wow. Where did you hear that?
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:27 am

Blank, I wouldn't call Gammons that partial. He plays to the market he's talking to. Check out Bostondirtdogs.com for a transcript of Gammons on the FAN yesterday. He trashed Boston. When he's in Boston, he trahes NY. It's his MO.

This is rather odd, though. He usually does defend Georgie.

And, I would have to agree. Even with their money, I don't see them dealing for RJ.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:28 am

Hmmmm, on second thought: The only way I can see it happening is if the D-backs decide to trade him and RJ says he will only waive his clause if it is to the Yankees, and then they have to take Duncan, Navarro, et al.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:40 am

Transmogrifier wrote:Hmmmm, on second thought: The only way I can see it happening is if the D-backs decide to trade him and RJ says he will only waive his clause if it is to the Yankees, and then they have to take Duncan, Navarro, et al.


I would bet that Randy would say he would go to ether the Yankees or the Red Sox...afterall, both are in contention, and both would put him in the spotlight (if he likes that sort of thing).

It should be an interesting month of July to see what happens.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

GAMMONS ON THE A-ROD/MANNY TRADE (looking back)

Postby AlexG » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:47 am

On ESPN Radio this morning, Peter Gammons summed it up thusly ; the Rodriguez//Ramirez deal is for real, kind of ("52-48", he called it, which I guess is Peter's unique way of saying there's a better than 50/50 chance) and the whole thing hinges on another trade that would send Nomar to Anaheim. The latter exchange would have to happen fast, because the Angels have made an offer to SS Miguel Tejada. Since I was busy with my day job at Samaritans, I had trouble hearing Peter's dulcet tones (it is considered insensitive to tell a suicidal woman to shut [no swearing please! -Trans]up because you're trying to hear the Dean of Baseball Journalists break a major story ---- so I put the lady on hold for 20 minutes), and I can't tell you if Garciaparra is being traded for Garrett Anderson, Jerod Washburn, David Eckstein, Adam Kennedy or Lyman Bostock. Maybe you should check a blog where the author doesn't have so many distractions.
AlexG
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 63
Joined: 13 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Tejada May Sign With Boston(looking back again)

Postby AlexG » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:48 am

Tejada May Sign With Boston
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gammons reported tonight on ESPN that because the Mariners have not made Tejada a serious offer, if Boston does not make the trade to acquire A-Rod (Gammons predicts A-Rod will remain with the Rangers), Boston may trade Garciaparra (possibly to the Dodgers) and sign Tejada. He also stated that Tejada may be waiting to see if Vlady signs with Baltimore, and if he does, Tejada may be interested in signing there also.
AlexG
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 63
Joined: 13 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Imeldapync and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Oakland at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact