Gammons slams Steinbrenner on BBTN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gammons slams Steinbrenner on BBTN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby d18Mike » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:05 am

Message to George Steinbrenner- Anaheim's got the players to make a deal, you don't

Message to Peter Gammons - New York has the money to do whatever they want.

I'm surprised Gammons would be stupid enough to say something like that.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:09 am

d18Mike wrote:
Message to George Steinbrenner- Anaheim's got the players to make a deal, you don't

Message to Peter Gammons - New York has the money to do whatever they want.

I'm surprised Gammons would be stupid enough to say something like that.

Thank you. You stole my comment.

Money talks just as much to Arizona as McPherson, Kotchman Santana or Mathis will. I'll assume the former 2 are untouchable as well.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fireball Express » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:12 am

Gammons must read my stuff then. :-D

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... light=mets

Now that Gammons agrees, I MUST be wrong.

Rule 31C, sect 8 in the fantasy baseball rulebook: If Gammons say one thing, do the opposite.
I sometimes wonder if he is some sort of inside joke at ESPN. You know like being wrong on purpose.

The Yankees need a Lefty. I think the pickins are slim and George (or Cashman) almost always gets his man.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

re

Postby aardvarks » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:35 am

Maybe if the Yanks get that payroll up to 250 mil they'll win another title. prediction: next years Yankee will look like this
c-Posada, 1b-Giambi 2b-Vidro, ss- Jeter
3b-Arod, OF Godzilla, Beltran and Sheffield
Hell maybe they can buy
Mags from the Chi-Sox to DH.

People are going to read my autograph and brush me off as a bitter and broken Sox fan. That's fine but not true the Sox will not be over the luxury tax next season and the Yanks will double it. In fact the Yanks will likely be the only team over the luxury tax next season, currently the Yanks payroll is 180 mill. and now they need RJ? the Sox are second in payroll at 120, and like I've said before next season that # will be closer to 100 while the Yanks will probably exceed 200.

There's a problem when one team outspends another
5 to 1.
Last edited by aardvarks on Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 87)

Re: re

Postby Smizzy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:57 am

aardvarks wrote:Maybe if the Yanks get that payroll up to 250 mil they'll win another title. prediction: next years Yankee will look like this
c-Posada, 1b-Giambi 2b-Vidro, ss- Jeter
3b-Arod, OF Godzilla, Beltran and Sheffield
Hell maybe they can buy
Mags from the Chi-Sox to DH.

People are going to read my autograph and brush me off as a bitter and broken Sox fan. That's fine but not true the Sox will not be over the salary cap next season and the Yanks will double it. In fact the Yanks will likely be the only team over the salary cap next season, currently the Yanks payroll is 180 mill. and now they need RJ? the Sox are second in payroll at 120, and like I've said before next season that # will be closer to 100 while the Yanks will probably exceed 200.

There's a problem when one team outspends another
5 to 1.

What salary cap???

Yankees buy championships??....It's not our fault George puts more money back into his team then any other team in baseball.
Maybe if John Henry took less money for his pocket and invested it in the team,there would be no $$$ issues.

Fact is untill MLB gets a salary cap...this is how it will be...he who spend the most money on their product...while have the best product.

It's funny how the team with 2nd highest payroll in baseball is always complaining about how much $$$ the yankees spend.
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

re

Postby aardvarks » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:27 am

Well if the highest payroll team laps the league by 100 mil. that should be veiwed as a problem.

The Sox charge more for there tixx then any team in baseball. and 120 mill is over ther limit hence the cut back next season. the Yanks seat 20,000 more per home game and blow away every other teams tv contract.
But this isn't about the Sox exclusively 180mill buys 5 teams. What will 250 mill buy?

A Salary Cap?
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 87)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:49 am

aardvarks wrote:Well if the highest payroll team laps the league by 100 mil. that should be veiwed as a problem.

The Sox charge more for there tixx then any team in baseball. and 120 mill is over ther limit hence the cut back next season. the Yanks seat 20,000 more per home game and blow away every other teams tv contract.
But this isn't about the Sox exclusively 180mill buys 5 teams. What will 250 mill buy?

A Salary Cap?

Read my sig. Don't hate the player, hate the GAME. Everything George does is in the rules. He's not cheating. Don't hate him and say he ruins baseball, hate baseball because they don't have stricter rules.

Bottom line-stop complaining because there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it until a cap is put on by the MLB.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:55 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:
aardvarks wrote:Well if the highest payroll team laps the league by 100 mil. that should be veiwed as a problem.

A Salary Cap?

Read my sig. Don't hate the player, hate the GAME. Everything George does is in the rules. He's not cheating. Don't hate him and say he ruins baseball, hate baseball because they don't have stricter rules.

Bottom line-stop complaining because there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it until a cap is put on by the MLB.

Coming from a non-Yankee/non-Red Sox fan...I agree here. I definitely don't like what both of these teams do, but if it's within the rules, then nothing can really be said about it IMO. Baseball should have a salary cap I think, but until that happens, expect more of what's happening.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:03 am

Let me add by cap I also mean a MINIMUM cap so these joke owners that just milk their team for all it's money and pocket it won't be able to do so anymore, and will be forced to spend on their team thus making it better.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:05 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:Let me add by cap I also mean a MINIMUM cap so these joke owners that just milk their team for all it's money and pocket it won't be able to do so anymore, and will be forced to spend on their team thus making it better.

What if a team doesn't earn enough revenue to even meet the minimum cap? I think a maximum cap is the only answer personally. Maybe some combination of both, but the minimum would have to be set fairly low.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers