The Fog of War - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Fog of War

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Fog of War

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:20 pm

I watched this documentary, The Fog of War, today on pay-per-view. If you haven't seen it, it's well worth watching. It's basically an interview with Robert McNamara, former U.S. Secretary of Defence under JFK and LBJ. It basically discusses his involvement in and views on the three wars he was involved in.

He talks about WWII and his involvement in the bombing of Japan. He supported Truman's use of the atom bomb and states it did no more damage than the fire bombing they had done previously. The U.S. firebombed 67 Japanese cities causing vast destruction as the cities were primarily of wood contruction and resulted in civilian death rates of around 50 percent. He states that if America had lost the war, he and Gen. Curtis LeMay would probably have been tried as war criminals for the fire bombing. He later states that in war you must be prepared to do evil.

He talks about the Cold War and he states emphatically that it was in fact a "Hot War" that during his time in office came extremely close to total nuclear war on 3 occasions. He talked to Castro some years later in 1992 and Castro told him he had advised Kruschev to launch the missiles if neccesary and that they already all the nuclear waheads on them.

He talks about the Vietnam War and all the mistakes he and others made. He said that had Kennedy lived, the U.S. would have pulled all it's troops out of Vietnam by the end of 1965. He breaks down in tears when he talks of how he walked around Arlington NAtional Cemetary to pick the spot for JFK's grave at Jackie's request and how he later learned that JFK had stood at that very spot 2 weeks earlier and stated it was the most beautiful spot in all of Washington because of the view. He talks of his falling out with LBJ towards the end of his term over the direction of the war and his leaving the cabinet as a result.

It's an extremely interesting film and has some valuable lessons for today's world. He's not afraid to admit his mistakes. He says the meaning of the expression, The Fog of War, is that: "War is so complex it's beyond the ability of the human mind to comprehend all the variables. Our judgement, our understanding, are not adequate and we kill people unneccesarily".

It's a good film because he has no political axe to grind, it's neither a tool of the right or the left, only of the truth.
Last edited by stomperrob on Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:29 pm

Ooh, I saw that a few months ago on Delta and I've got to admit that I thought it took a critical eye of Macnamara. A very critical eye.

I loved it, of course, but I can see how some might think it was tilted toward the left.

But then again, I was in first class where they've got those free alcoholic beverages. So maybe my faculties were not entirely intact.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:39 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Ooh, I saw that a few months ago on Delta and I've got to admit that I thought it took a critical eye of Macnamara. A very critical eye.

I loved it, of course, but I can see how some might think it was tilted toward the left.

But then again, I was in first class where they've got those free alcoholic beverages. So maybe my faculties were not entirely intact.

Yeh, it's very critical, but he's very critical of himself. I expected that beforehand as I read his autobiography last year and he is very critical of all the mistakes in the Vietnam War and his involvement therein. I'm very right wing and I didn't detect any tilt towards the left.
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cafe_58 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:09 am

I just saw that today. He was way before my time, but I thought the film was interesting. The way Morris structured the film by having eleven lessons was good. For an 85-year old, McNamara was very sharp. Definitely worth watching.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:01 pm

cafe_58 wrote:I just saw that today. He was way before my time, but I thought the film was interesting. The way Morris structured the film by having eleven lessons was good. For an 85-year old, McNamara was very sharp. Definitely worth watching.

Yeh, it's definitely a must-see - I think everyone here should make an effort to rent this one. It has some valuable lessons that apply equally to today's world and today's conflicts.
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:34 pm

Ill check it out - can I rent it at normal video stores?

The Fog of War
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:08 pm

I would think it would be avail. at most U.S. video stores, at least the larger ones - it was made in 2003. It is on pay-per-view in Canada this weekend on satelite.
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KULCAT » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:16 pm

I saw a movie at HBO starring Alec Baldwin as Bob Mcnamara during his years under LBJ. What i got from it was that most people in the government wanted out of Vietnam quite early, like in 66 but they couldnt get out until they got an "honorable" win LBJ was desperate to convince Ho Chi Min he couldnt win the war so he could end it. But Ho Chi Min knew it was gonna be impossible for the US to win the peninsula.
Tough times
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:54 pm

we would have won the whole penninsula if we were allowed to keep the ground we took ... we fought all day to take over a town, and then we would give it back at night... stupid politics ...
Last edited by wrveres on Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:07 pm

McNamara said one of the major problems in the Vietnam War was that neither side understood what the motivation of the other side was.
The North Vietnamese saw the U.S. as just another colonial power like France come to conquer and subjugate them. The U.S. saw it as an extension of the Cold War and a chance to stop China when it fact all it was was a civil war. As McNamara realized years later, the Vietnamese hated China and had been at war with them for 2,000 years. The U.S. was afraid of expanding the war for fear of dragging Russia and/or China into the conflict.
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to General Talk