I'm New To This, Is This Idea Crazy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm New To This, Is This Idea Crazy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dodger Blue » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:03 pm

Nebraska Bugeaters 71.5 I'm at least 5th in all cats. 4.5 in one.
1 The Thiggie's 71.5
3 Chicago Young Guns 66.5 this guys punted saves.
4 Splaet Inc. 66
5 Ex's Raiders 51
6 Asstros 5
6 Target Practice.5
8 Witto's Beasts 30.5

My stategy has been to be at least 5th or 6th in all cats. I leading in several.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phenomenon » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:54 pm

You need to play in a Head to Head league to punt catagories. In 5X5 head to head leagues, if you can average a 7 win 3 loss record, you can usually win the league. I for instance, I play only in H2H leagues, because I churn my starting pitchers. I draft stud hitters, with my first 10 picks, and then load up on second tier closers, with the hope that a few of them get 30 or more saves. I keep 4 open roster spots at all times used to pick up starting pitchers from the waiver wire daily, and start them. This guarantees my team wins the K's and Win catagories each matchup. I keep 6 to 7 second tier closers that I drafted and play 3 or 4 closers a day so I almost always win saves as well. And sometimes as a bonus, I may even win ERA or WHIP. I usually always sweep the 5 hitting cats, because I draft all my hitting spots, before taking any pitchers. Here is the team that I am playing this season, and kicking rear with.

C-Posada
1B-A.Dunn
2B-M.Young
3B-S.Rolen
SS-A-Rod
OF-C.Crawford
OF-M.Cabrera
OF-G.Anderson
Util-M.Tejada
Bench-D.Lee
RP-J.Nathan
RP-D.Graves
RP-Izzy
RP-D.Kolb
RP-J.Mesa
RP-B.Looper
RP-S.Takatsu

As you can see, with these hitters, i very rarely loose any of the 5 hitting cats. I also have enough second tier closers, that some of them should end up having a chunk of saves(got lucky with Graves, Kolb, Nathan, and, Mesa so far). This is the best method to use if you are going to punt catagories.
Phenomenon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ja515y » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:33 pm

I never thought of doing it that way, but it kinda makes sense. The pitchers are a lot less consistant. I find that most of my pitchers are off the FA pool anyway. I guess I've found next years strategy
ja515y
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:10 pm

Yeah punting works a lot better in head-to-head, actually I think the best H2H teams punt categories because its the team that wins 8-7 every week that wins the championship.

If you do go with your strategy, you have to get only the best relievers, such as Gagne, Foulke, Rivera, Lidge, Mota, etc. You cannot settle for "pretty good" guys - they have to be upper tier or else a few runs here and there will hurt your ratios badly.

From experience, I wouldn't employ this strategy again, as I used it one year and I probably won't be using it again.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers