I'm New To This, Is This Idea Crazy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm New To This, Is This Idea Crazy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm New To This, Is This Idea Crazy

Postby FantasyRook2020 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:56 pm

This is my first year and im in first in my league but I dont think it may last very long. Im in the top 3 in most of the offensive categories and first in WHIP and ERA, im middle of the pack in Wins and second in saves and 4th or so in K's. My question is this, if I trade all of my stud pitchers for stud offensive players and quality CL and MRP and just pitch with my closers and middle relievers, with high K rates and low Whip and ERA, such as Lidge, K-Rod, Wagner, etc. will i be able to win my league or will the loss of points in wins be too much of a blow. Im sure I could improve my offense to look unstoppable, such as using my studs like Sheets and Mulder to get Beltran and Vlad and such. By creating a team that could potentially sweep HR, R, RBI, AVG, SB, ERA, WHIP, and Saves. Then only areas i would hurt in would be K's and Wins.
FantasyRook2020
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:57 pm

This is a very common method, not stupid at all. I've never used it but from what I've heard, it works very well. Ask other about it because I'm not how much help I would be.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:04 pm

I doubt you can punt two categories and win. One, perhaps, but not two. A balanced team with no glaring weaknesses is the way to win. The idea is not to slaughter the competition in any one category at the expense of another. You don't get extra points for margin of victory in a category.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby matmat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:09 pm

thehat wrote:I doubt you can punt two categories and win. One, perhaps, but not two. A balanced team with no glaring weaknesses is the way to win. The idea is not to slaughter the competition in any one category at the expense of another. You don't get extra points for margin of victory in a category.

yup, this is not the BCS of several years ago.

you need to do some accounting. Figure out how many Ks and Ws it would take your team to get a few (3,4 5?) points in either category. Then project the countables (K, W, SV) and find the time at which you can switch over to all-relievers without punting those categories completely. this may be tough to do, but it is certainly possible.

I have, in the past, done well in roto leagues when punting one category (either SV or SB) and one year I punted both and came in second, but that is not the way to go -- you have to have a monster players for the other cats... I finished first or second in all the other categories, but took a 2 and 1 in SB and SV... :/
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasyRook2020 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:10 pm

True,but I dont think I will suffer that much in the K's department, I already have a solid bullpen, Rivera, Wagner, Lidge, K-Rod, and Looper. I could trade my starters who are all very solid for 5 category players such as Abreu, Vlad, and Beltran, add that to my already potent offense and I should be able to sweep the offensive stats. Its an 8 person league so I would only be sacrificing 7 points in wins and k's at the most. But i have a feeling my K production would not suffer that badly. Im in first with a 66 now which is exactly what I would have if i punted 2 categories. But i have a feeling im going to be dropping some points in the near future. Most of my pitchers are very good except in the win dept anyways, Od. Perez, Sheets, Peavy, and im pretty sure i could obtain Vlad, Abreu, and Beltran through trading my starters and some of my offense players who would be upgraded. My lineup would then look something like this, Pujols, Vlad, Abreu, Tejada, Berkman, Thome, Beltran, Pods, Lowell, Javy, M. Giles, and Frank Thomas, which im pretty sure would sweep all categories.
FantasyRook2020
T-Ball Trainer

Postby athxu » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:19 pm

At first I thought it's totally nuts, but then it didn't seem so bad, especially if after a draft you realize you have a mediocre pitching staff. If you sweep or do very well in SV, ERA, and WHIP, you make up for the duds in Ws and Ks.

There's nothing wrong with this strategy, provided you're the only one doing it. If two people were to try this, it'd be tough to see how you can both win. If three, I'd say you're about dead.

This seems to me to be a weakness in standard roto rules, where 3 categories are averages. There ought to be some modifications to the way ERA and WHIPs are calculated.
athxu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FantasyRook2020 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:24 pm

Im also ahead in ERA by about .80 and in WHIP by about .06, and Id be the only one doing this. So I would definately win in ERA and WHIP no question. My SP I would have to trade would be Wade Miller, Od. Perez, Hudson, Mulder, Sheets, Penny, Carpenter and Peavy. That plus some of the offensive players I would replace would get quite a lot in trade value.
FantasyRook2020
T-Ball Trainer

Postby athxu » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:28 pm

FantasyRook2020 wrote:Im also ahead in ERA by about .80 and in WHIP by about .06, and Id be the only one doing this. So I would definately win in ERA and WHIP no question. My SP I would have to trade would be Wade Miller, Od. Perez, Hudson, Mulder, Sheets, Penny, Carpenter and Peavy. That plus some of the offensive players I would replace would get quite a lot in trade value.

How many people are in this league? Your SPs look pretty good. If you have a good chance of winning I wouldn't do it. If you win on account of this strategy other people are probably going to start complaining. It is kind of a shady strategy, why do this if you can win without it?
athxu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FantasyRook2020 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:31 pm

only 8 in the league
FantasyRook2020
T-Ball Trainer

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:31 pm

punting two cats is basically ytielding 20 percent of the scoring to your competitors. if you wanna do it, do it "lite" where you maybe keep three starters (or whatever, then go middle relief)
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers