BJ Surhoff. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Surhoff.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BJ Surhoff.

Postby matmat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:44 pm

I need to figure out if he has a chance of positively contributing to my team in a deep league.

What do you guys think he'll do for the remaining 3 months of the season? do you think he'll get anything near regular PT?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:49 pm

No.

Here's the problem.

1. Already a stacked OF with:
Bigbie
Matos
Gibbons

DH spot helps, so they can play four. However, now that Hairston's back (playing OF and DH), Mazzilli likes to have the speed in the lineup and it's also smart for him to showcase Jerry, so that he'll be able to trade him for some decent talent. I think they would like to trade him. I'm very surprised nothing has gone down thus far.

Now, David Newhan is playing VERY well. Mazzilli cannot justify not giving Newhan at bats, even when Melvin Mora is healthy. Who will he take ABs away from? All of the above. Surhoff has already been pushed to the bench and the emergence of David Newhan further entrenches him to the pine. Stay away from Surhoff for the rest of the season unless one or two are traded.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thehat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:53 pm

I think Surhoff will get his share of AB's once he's healthy. Gibbons could be the one who suffers the biggest PT loss. This will also thin out once Newhan returns to earth, which is inevitable. He's a monster fluke right now.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby matmat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:55 pm

thehat wrote:I think Surhoff will get his share of AB's once he's healthy. Gibbons could be the one who suffers the biggest PT loss. This will also thin out once Newhan returns to earth, which is inevitable. He's a monster fluke right now.

well.. I'm looking for someone to hit close to .300 with about 10HR and 40-55 R/RBI for the rest of the season. any chance of that happening with BJS?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:56 pm

More like 8 homers 30 RBI...average a bit lower than .300.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thehat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:59 pm

matmat wrote:
thehat wrote:I think Surhoff will get his share of AB's once he's healthy. Gibbons could be the one who suffers the biggest PT loss. This will also thin out once Newhan returns to earth, which is inevitable. He's a monster fluke right now.

well.. I'm looking for someone to hit close to .300 with about 10HR and 40-55 R/RBI for the rest of the season. any chance of that happening with BJS?

You might get the .300 out of Surhoff, but nothing close to that in power and production, even if playing everyday, which he won't. Those are pretty substantial numbers you're looking for!
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby matmat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:03 pm

thehat wrote:You might get the .300 out of Surhoff, but nothing close to that in power and production, even if playing everyday, which he won't. Those are pretty substantial numbers you're looking for!

I'm greedy like that :-D

actually I am just looking for someone to outproduce one of nix, dejesus or dbell... :) but now this is going to get moved to the trade forum, whereas I was just looking for some projections ;) :-D
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:08 pm

Just play Nix against righties and perhaps find a spare OF with gaudy righty/lefty splits to platoon him with. Michaels might be nice here, as he's smoking lefties.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby matmat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:15 pm

thehat wrote:Just play Nix against righties and perhaps find a spare OF with gaudy righty/lefty splits to platoon him with. Michaels might be nice here, as he's smoking lefties.

i would in a daily league. this is weekly. there are about 5 points to be won by raising my avarage from .283 to .288; so I might actually take a flyer on him as I don't trust the others to put up a decent AVG.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:39 pm

I'd probably rather have Nix. More potential.

Matmat, Gibbons was put on the DL today. You may catch a break to play Surhoff while that's happening.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers