Felix Hernandez promoted to Double A - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Felix Hernandez promoted to Double A

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Felix Hernandez promoted to Double A

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:30 pm

Yeah I know what most will be thinking if you just read this title and don't know about Hernandez will be thinking. "So what? Lots of people are promoted to AA". Very true, but let me just shead light on who this kid is (cause he is just a kid) if you don't know already.

Felix was born 4-8-1986. So yes that means he just turned 18 this year. Last year as a 17 year old he dominated the M's short season and Low A ball in the minors. So this year the M's decided to challenge him in High A at the age of 18. Just so some people understand if they don't follow prospects too much. If this kid was born in the U.S. he would be pitching as a senior H.S. Not in High A were even the very youngest players are still 19-20.

So make it somewhat simplified, he just flat out dominated High A competition that he was very very young for and that was much older then himself. His stats go as 2.73 era and a whip of 1.21. He pitched 92 innings and k'd 114. Not to mention that the league he was pitching in, the California league, is considered to be a hitters league.

Now he has been promoted to Double A, less than 3 months after turning 18. He was already very young for his age and now being promoted this early there isn't much more you can say except it's very rare.

Instead of giving my own scouting report on him, I'll quote the one from ESPN Down on the Farm by John Sickels.

"Scouting report
Hernandez has a lanky build and is still growing into his body. It is conceivable that he could pick up additional velocity. Since he already hits 94-97 mph, adding additional strength to his frame could push his fastball into the 97-100 mph range. Even if that doesn't happen, his fastball is plenty fast. Hernandez doesn't have just heat: he also has a nasty curveball that is much more refined than typical for pitchers his age. His changeup is somewhat erratic, but still very good at times. Hernandez's command and control also rate as above-average for his age group. He mixes his breaking ball, changeup, and fastball with aplomb, and his ability to throw strikes most of the time makes him very special. He also has good pitching instincts, and better emotional maturity than the vast majority of 21-year-olds, let alone 18-year-olds. Hernandez is a good athlete, but he needs additional experience with things like fielding his position and holding runners. That will come in time. Physically, emotionally, and intellectually, he has everything you look for in a pitching prospect."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1790691

Oh yeah and if your in keeper leagues w/ prospects, I would say get him quick, really quick. Cause he will be a very well known prospect name soon.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:23 pm

Not a bad 1st start for an 18 year old in Double A:

6IP 7H 1ER 2BB 8K

Oh yeah, he also struck out one of the hottest prospects in the minors, Ian Kinsler.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby 2k4cubs » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:31 pm

This kid is definitely the real deal. The only thing that seems to be holding him back from super-stardom is injury, and he has been perfectly healthy so far.

I view him as the best fantasy pitching prospect in the minors.
2k4cubs
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby 2k4cubs » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:31 pm

an update on Felix from Baseball America's Jim Callis...

" ... Hernandez is the best pitching prospect in the minors right now. He's 18 and has two plus-plus pitches in his mid-90s fastball and his curveball. He's still very projectable at 6-foot-3 and 170 pounds, too. In 167 pro innings (and he always has been very young for his league), he has gone 16-5, 2.47 with a 213-55 strikeout-walk ratio, .233 opponent average and nine homers. The Mariners are trying to bring Hernandez along slowly, giving him time to refine his changeup and learn the finer points of pitching. But he has been so good that he's making that difficult. Gooden was a little more dominant in his 18-year-old season (he was BA's 1984 Minor League Player of the Year), but he also was in more of a pitcher's league and spent the entire year in high Class A. Seattle has enough pitching so that it probably will resist the temptation to put Hernandez in its rotation at the start of the next year, but he might not wait much longer than that."
2k4cubs
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:15 am

Felix had his 2nd start in Double A tonight, his final line was:

7IP 4H 2ER 2BB 4K against El Paso

If you know minor league baseball then you know El Paso is one of the top hitting line ups in Double A. Their line up includes some pretty good D'Back hitting prospects like: Sergio Santos, Conor Jackson, and Jamie D'Antona. Not to mention his defense made 5 errors behind him.

Another very good start, all things considered. Season stats in Double A are now:

13IP 11H 3ER 4BB 12K (2.08-era 1.15-whip)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:27 am

Felix pitched an inning in the Futures game today. He faced Fielder, Wright, and I believe Hill the Dodgers C prospect. Hernandez didn't throw his fastball below 95 and it topped out at 97. It was a fairly quick inning so he didn't throw to many pitches overall, but what he did throw I think made quite a few people write him in as the top pitching prospect.

First batter he threw 2 fastballs away from Fielder that were just catching the edge of the plate. On the 2nd one though, Fielder took it the other way between the SS and 3B.

Second batter was Wright, the Mets top prospect, who he basically made look real silly. Thew a nasty curve the Wright swung and missed on, as it ended up dropping off the table. Then another curve that dropped in for a called strike. Next pitch was a fastball up and away that Wright swung late on and fouled off. Last pitch was a mirror image of the first, a nasty curve that he swung and missed on.

Last batter, Hill, grounded into a DP on the first pitch ... another high fastball w/ great location on the edge of the plate.

Felix IMO was the best pitching prospect there and was the one I wanted to see most. He did nothing but back up all the hype that he has received. Also he is quite a bit bigger now, he is no longer his listed 6'3" 170 self. I'd say he is between 190-200 lbs. now to go with his 6'3" frame.

Unrelated to the Futures Game, Felix will now be monitored much closer by the M's. As he is racking up the innings, over 100 for just an 18 year old, they have decided to limit him the rest of the year. This will work one of two ways, and he will decide. He can either have 2 - 4 more starts as a SP OR he can pitch relief the rest of the year. He should decide fairly soon on the matter, and that's all the Felix news I have.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Mustangs989 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:51 pm

Felix's 3rd start on Friday in AA wasn't as impressive as his 1st two, although he got the win. His control must have been off with his 4 BB, but still very impressive for an 18 year old.
5 innings pitched
4 hits
2 ER
4 Walks
6 Strikeouts
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hawgvike » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:23 pm

he's bound to have a few bumpy starts along the road, its probably about time to shut him down now until next season. he's pitched a lot of innings for a pitcher his age.
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:35 pm

Tough outing last night for young Felix.
2.2IP 6H 6ER 1BB 1K
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:13 pm

haha i hope he chokes
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next