Lacrosse. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Lacrosse.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Flockers » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:24 pm

blankman wrote:
Flockers wrote:
DaQ wrote:It was made up by Native Americans. It's like hockey but instead of a stick w/ a blade, there is a stick w/ a net and there is a ball instead of a puck. Also, there are more people on the field in lacrosse and there is an "out of bounds". Everything else is pretty similar.

He pretty much nailed it. But you can't check in La Crosse. I play la Crosse also.

What do you mean you can't check? Of course you can. Trust me, I've been playing and following the sport since 4th grade and my high school is an anually top-20 nationally ranked team, so our town is obsessed with the sport. GIRLS lacrosse is very different and allows no body checking, but in BOYS lacrosse I am 100% sure that you can body check as long as its not from behind and the player isn't completely out of the play (ice hockey's interference).

Lacrosse is perhaps the greatest sport I've ever played/watched. It is as exciting as can be, is the fastest sport not on ice and the creativity and sheer skill, speed of some of these players is downright incredible.

The rules are at first difficult to understand, but wasn't it the same when you tried to learn about hockey and its rules like offsides, icing and the 2 line pass? If you take the time to understand the sport, and enjoy sports like hockey, I guarantee that you will love the sport.

Of note and this will confuse some of you, many of the rules are different in the professional league you saw- Major League Lacrosse, which has a shot-clock, from the college rules. The MLL game overall is however easier for the common fan to understand. I'll try to explain you guys the rules to the MLL games in a bit.

Sorry dude. I'm only in HS and I've never really watched a Pro or College game. So I went by what I know. :-/
Flockers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:15 pm

Flockers wrote:Sorry dude. I'm only in HS and I've never really watched a Pro or College game. So I went by what I know. :-/

Thats fine, thats what my instructive posts are for. Its a growing sport and the more people that see it, now on TV every once in a while, the better for the sport. It really is a fantastic sport, as it gets more exposure hopefully it can continue to grow more west of the east coast.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:17 pm

wrveres wrote:why is it called LaCrosse if it was created by the Native Americans?

I really have no idea. I've always spelled it Lacrosse, with a lower case C and I haven't seen the capital C anywhere in the USA, but I can't answer your question.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:18 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:Keep it on the topic guys....and not flaming each other.... :-)

Thanks DHC ;-D

Great work as always by the mods, but does my deleted post now not count toward my post count :-? :-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby frog99 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:30 pm

wrveres wrote:why is it called LaCrosse if it was created by the Native Americans?

no capital "C." Because French trappers were the first Europeans to see a game, and they coined the name.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:23 pm

blankman wrote:Great work as always by the mods, but does my deleted post now not count toward my post count :-? :-o

They're still there blankman....no worries.... B-)

and btw...thanks for posting this stuff...you have sparked a bit of an intrest in me... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:26 pm

blankman wrote:
Flockers wrote:Sorry dude. I'm only in HS and I've never really watched a Pro or College game. So I went by what I know. :-/

Thats fine, thats what my instructive posts are for. Its a growing sport and the more people that see it, now on TV every once in a while, the better for the sport. It really is a fantastic sport, as it gets more exposure hopefully it can continue to grow more west of the east coast.

In HS you're not allowed to check. I guess it's for safety concerns. ;-D
Flockers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:56 pm

Flockers wrote:
blankman wrote:

In HS you're not allowed to check. I guess it's for safety concerns. ;-D

Where do you go to school? You CAN check everywhere I've ever been in BOYS lacrosse, Middle School, HS, College, Pro. All these leagues allow body and stick checks. In Girls lacrosse however, you cannot body check.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:57 pm

Speaking of safety, I guess I forgot Equipment...
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:59 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
blankman wrote:Great work as always by the mods, but does my deleted post now not count toward my post count :-? :-o

They're still there blankman....no worries.... B-)

and btw...thanks for posting this stuff...you have sparked a bit of an intrest in me... :-)

Good, I need those :-°

Glad to help and to spread the awareness for this great sport. Any questions are more than welcome. If needed I can explain the college rules, which are also used in HS and younger. The Professional league is the only one with a shot clock, 2 pt line and it doesn't have a couple of other things.

I'll get to equipment next though..
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk