Lacrosse. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Lacrosse.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby matmat » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:56 am

Flockers wrote:
He pretty much nailed it. But you can't check in La Crosse. I play la Crosse also.

but you can slash, right?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:00 pm

Flockers wrote:
DaQ wrote:It was made up by Native Americans. It's like hockey but instead of a stick w/ a blade, there is a stick w/ a net and there is a ball instead of a puck. Also, there are more people on the field in lacrosse and there is an "out of bounds". Everything else is pretty similar.

He pretty much nailed it. But you can't check in La Crosse. I play la Crosse also.

What do you mean you can't check? Of course you can. Trust me, I've been playing and following the sport since 4th grade and my high school is an anually top-20 nationally ranked team, so our town is obsessed with the sport. GIRLS lacrosse is very different and allows no body checking, but in BOYS lacrosse I am 100% sure that you can body check as long as its not from behind and the player isn't completely out of the play (ice hockey's interference).

Lacrosse is perhaps the greatest sport I've ever played/watched. It is as exciting as can be, is the fastest sport not on ice and the creativity and sheer skill, speed of some of these players is downright incredible.

The rules are at first difficult to understand, but wasn't it the same when you tried to learn about hockey and its rules like offsides, icing and the 2 line pass? If you take the time to understand the sport, and enjoy sports like hockey, I guarantee that you will love the sport.

Of note and this will confuse some of you, many of the rules are different in the professional league you saw- Major League Lacrosse, which has a shot-clock, from the college rules. The MLL game overall is however easier for the common fan to understand. I'll try to explain you guys the rules to the MLL games in a bit.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:25 pm

Each team has 10 players. 9 field players and 1 goalie.

Player positions-
-Goalie(1)- the head of his stick is larger (like hockey) to allow him to save shots. The goal he defends is 6'x6' and is encircled by a crease that ONLY defensive players can go in. If an offensive player steps in the crease, the whistle is blown and the ball is awarded to the other team.
-Defenseman(3)- these players have longer sticks- 6' long and they are used to try to stop the attackmen (akin to forwards) from getting shots and scoring. They may not go across the midfield line, unless one of the midfielders (who I'll get to in a moment) stays back on the defensive half for the defender. (in essence, they are temporarily switching positions)
-Attackmen(3)- these players' have short sticks (about 40'' in length) and their only real job is to score goals and create offense. They are alike to forwards. Like defensemen, they may not go across the midfield line; (they are always on their team's offensive side of the field)
-Midfielders(3)- these players' play both sides of the field. They, like attackmen, have short sticks (40'' in length). They are allowed to play on both sides of the midfield line and will play on both offense and defense (but always with short sticks). In a way, they are alike to midfielders in soccer, who take the ball upfield from the defense to distribute to the forwards (attackmen in lacrosse aka lax)

The idea of the game is obviously to score more goals than the other team. You will notice an arched line in the MLL game. This is known as the two-point line (very similar to basketball's 3 pt line). A goal scored from beyond the 2 pt line will count as two goals, while a goal anywhere inside the line counts as 1 goal.

There is also a shot clock (45 seconds if I remember correctly). This is the same thing as in basketball. The offensive team (team with the ball) has 45 seconds to get a shot ON GOAL. If they get a shot on goal in that time, the clock resets, just like basketball. And if they don't get a shot ON GOAL in that time, the whistle is blown and the other team gets the ball.

As for the rule where the player closest to the ball when it goes out getting to keep the ball, this ONLY applies to shots. If a team passes(throws intended for another player; not shots) the ball out of bounds, steps out of bounds with the ball or just drops the ball out of bounds, the OTHER team gets the ball (just like basketball). If however, the ball is shot and it misses the goal, is deflected by the goalie, hits another player, or hits the post, the player who is closest to the ball when it goes out of bounds gets the ball. This rule is great because it encourages teams to shoot the ball hard without worrying about missing the goal and losing the ball. In MOST cases, the offensive team is closest to the ball when it goes out, so they keep it.

After EACH goal the ball is brought to the middle of the field and there is a a 'face off' (like a tip off in basketball). It is difficult to discribe, but essentially the 3 midfielders from each team try to get the ball, which starts from the ground. When a player scoops a ball off the ground, it is called a ground ball.

Also, teams have Timeouts (like football). I think its 3 timeouts each half per team, but I could be wrong. Timeout may be called ONLY when the team calling timeout has the ball or during a stoppage of play (i.e. after a penalty is called)
Penalties in a minute...
Last edited by blankman on Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:50 pm

There are several penalties that result in a team being man-down, and the other team being man-up (alike to a power play in hockey). The team that got the penalty has their 3 defenders, 3 attackmen and only 2 midfielders, so they can only have 5 players on one side of the field at a time. The other team however, has all 3 midfielders, so they can have 6 players on one side of the field.

When you watch normal play, with one team on offense, you will see a 6 on 6 (like normal 5 on 5 in hockey)

Penalties- these result in being man-down (he goes to the sidline where there is a 'penalty box' where he serves he penalty until it ends) and their lengths range from 30 seconds to 3 minutes, depending on the foul. Unless the penalty is nonreleasable (very rare) the penalty ends if the other team scores (like hockey).

Slash- this is generally not-called, but it is when a player repeatedly hits a player with his stick, WITHOUT trying to hit the other player's stick, knocking the ball out. This could mean he's just repeatedly hitting the player in his free arm.

Hitting the head- this will be called a Slash, but it results from hitting a player in the helmet with the stick (kind of like high sticking in hockey). This is one of the most common and easiest to committ accidentally

Push from behind without possession- this is when a player pushes another player in the back when he doesn't have the ball. This ONLY results in the other team getting the ball. The offending team does NOT go man-down

Push from behind WITH possession- this is when a player pushes/hits a player from behind who HAS the ball. This is really only called when the push from behind is severe enough to knock the player over. This results in a penalty and the team goes man-down and the other team gets the ball.

Trip with possession- self explanatory (same as hockey) results in change of possession (other team gets the ball) and a team going man-down.

Stepping in the crease (offensive team)- this results in the other team getting the ball

Warding- unlike hockey where this is legal, a player with the ball is not allowed to move his free arm to deflect a player's stick check. Basically you may not hit the other player's stick with your free arm. You MAY keep your free arm stationary to protect your stick.

Illegal stick- this is a severe penalty and lasts 3 minutes and it is like a major in hockey- it is nonreleasable. There are several ways for a stick to be illegal.
-Too short- if it is less than 40 '' long
-Too long (short sticks- middies and attackmen)- longer than 42'' I believe
-Head is too narrow- if the head is 'pinched' to less than 6'' wide, its is too narrow
-Pocket too deep (most common)- the pocket is the netting in the head of the stick. If the pocket is too deep, it makes it too hard for the other team to check the ball out of the stick.

You ARE allowed to:
check player's stick (like hockey)
body check (like hockey)

If I think of some more that I missed, I'll let you know. Next is jargon...
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:55 pm

Some of the jargon that may be confusing at first.

Dodge- (kind of like driving in basketball) an offensive player tries to beat his defender by doing a move- change direction quickly, fake going one way, roll (spin) etc

Slide- (alike to basketball) the defensive team will do this when an offensive player beats his defender. A defensive player will leave his man to 'slide' to the player with the ball to stop him (that player is the bigger threat because he has the ball)

Thats all I can think of right now. Read these rules and WATCH games and trust me, you'll probably enjoy them. Any questions, just ask
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby matmat » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:54 pm

i read all of that.

i think the rules are stupid.
:/
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:35 am

Nearly any sport's rules seem stupid until you watch a GOOD game, while understanding the rules. If you can get a chance to watch this year's NCAA D1 Finals of Syracuse vs Navy, that is an amazing game, although it is college, so the rules are a bit different and also more difficult to understand :-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:49 pm

Good job blankman. Boing in Canada of course I've played LaCrosse before (it's our national sport) and I think it's great. The most physical sport I've ever played, and I don't think there is anything as violent. Rugby comes very close, which is a sport I play quite often. LaCrosse is different because there are 2 totally different versions; indoor and outdoor. I was never really good but it was fun anyways.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:57 pm

Keep it on the topic guys....and not flaming each other.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:13 pm

why is it called LaCrosse if it was created by the Native Americans?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk